Autism

GhostGirl

I know this has been an ongoing issue followed here, so I thought I would share this news.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines was an "elaborate fraud" that has done long-lasting damage to public health, a leading medical publication reported Wednesday.

An investigation published by the British medical journal BMJ concludes the study's author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible.

"It's one thing to have a bad study, a study full of error, and for the authors then to admit that they made errors," Fiona Godlee, BMJ's editor-in-chief, told CNN. "But in this case, we have a very different picture of what seems to be a deliberate attempt to create an impression that there was a link by falsifying the data."

Britain stripped Wakefield of his medical license in May 2010. Efforts to reach him for comment were unsuccessful Wednesday.

"Meanwhile, the damage to public health continues, fueled by unbalanced media reporting and an ineffective response from government, researchers, journals and the medical profession," BMJ states.

The now-discredited paper panicked many parents and led to a sharp drop in the number of children getting the vaccine that prevents measles, mumps and rubella. Vaccination rates dropped sharply in Britain after its publication, falling as low as 80 percent by 2004. Measles cases have gone up sharply in the ensuing years.

In the United States, more cases of measles were reported in 2008 than in any other year since 1997, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 90 percent of those infected had not been vaccinated or their vaccination status was unknown, the CDC reported.

"But perhaps as important as the scare's effect on infectious disease is the energy, emotion and money that have been diverted away from efforts to understand the real causes of autism and how to help children and families who live with it," the BMJ editorial states.

Wakefield has been unable to reproduce his results in the face of criticism, and other researchers have been unable to match them. Most of his co-authors withdrew their names from the study in 2004 after learning he had had been paid by a law firm that intended to sue vaccine manufacturers -- a serious conflict of interest he failed to disclose. After years on controversy, the Lancet, the prestigious journal that originally published the research, retracted Wakefield's paper last February.

The series of articles launched Wednesday are investigative journalism, not results of a clinical study. The writer, Brian Deer, said Wakefield "chiseled" the data before him, "falsifying medical histories of children and essentially concocting a picture, which was the picture he was contracted to find by lawyers hoping to sue vaccine manufacturers and to create a vaccine scare."

According to BMJ, Wakefield received more than 435,000 pounds ($674,000) from the lawyers. Godlee said the study shows that of the 12 cases Wakefield examined in his paper, five showed developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine and three never had autism.

"It's always hard to explain fraud and where it affects people to lie in science," Godlee said. "But it does seem a financial motive was underlying this, both in terms of payments by lawyers and through legal aid grants that he received but also through financial schemes that he hoped would benefit him through diagnostic and other tests for autism and MMR-related issues."

Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a pediatric neurologist at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, said the reporting "represents Wakefield as a person where the ends justified the means." But he said the latest news may have little effect on those families who still blame vaccines for their children's conditions.

"Unfortunately, his core group of supporters is not going to let the facts dissuade their beliefs that MMR causes autism," Wiznitzer said. "They need to be open-minded and examine the information as everybody else."

Wakefield's defenders include David Kirby, a journalist who has written extensively on autism. He told CNN that Wakefield not only has denied falsifying data, he has said he had no way to do so.

"I have known him for a number of years. He does not strike me as a charlatan or a liar," Kirby said. If the BMJ allegations are true, then Wakefield "did a terrible thing" -- but he added, "I personally find it hard to believe that he did that."

CNN's Elizabeth Cohen and Miriam Falco contributed to this report.

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 5 2011, 08:10 PM)
I still believe vaccines can be a trigger.

From what Ive read the jury is still out (have we seen conclusive evidence either way?). But if this guy really did fake these results, I think is abominable.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 5 2011, 06:35 PM)

From what Ive read the jury is still out (have we seen conclusive evidence either way?). But if this guy really did fake these results, I think is abominable.

the timing is soooo right in my son's case, but its not consistent for all children who are vaccinated. confused13.gif

has anyone ever made a world map of the autistic population?

if the cause is genetic, we'd have to explain the recent increase.

if the cause is environmental, how could it be world-wide? except that vaccines would be shared world-wide.

1 in 150 in Arizona, but i read its was much lower (higher occurrence) in New Jersey. they were like 1 in 90 sad.gif

has anyone seen a map???

maybe yer right about the trigger, RushMan unsure.gif

i dunno, its phucking phrustrating angry.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 6 2011, 09:43 PM)

the timing is soooo right in my son's case, but its not consistent for all children who are vaccinated. confused13.gif

if the cause is environmental, how could it be world-wide? except that vaccines would be shared world-wide.

1 in 150 in Arizona, but i read its was much lower (higher occurrence) in New Jersey. they were like 1 in 90 sad.gif

has anyone seen a map???

You have to be real careful when observing data like that. Even if the occurrences were purely random, you'd have clusters of some level seen in some places. Also, maps show land, not population density, so even data like you've listed, those averages, may not show up, or may look overly significant in a way they are now. Also, as Im sure you already have heard 1,000 times, occurrence is not causation - so even if we expect data that are meaningful geographically, whos to say what the cause of that cluster is....

Very tough.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 6 2011, 08:06 PM)

has anyone seen a map???

You have to be real careful when observing data like that. Even if the occurrences were purely random, you'd have clusters of some level seen in some places. Also, maps show land, not population density, so even data like you've listed, those averages, may not show up, or may look overly significant in a way they are now. Also, as Im sure you already have heard 1,000 times, occurrence is not causation - so even if we expect data that are meaningful geographically, whos to say what the cause of that cluster is....

Very tough.

yes, i promise to be careful if i ever see one. bekloppt.gif

i realize there is a huge inconsistency in Diagnosis, as well sad.gif

obviously, some entire countries will be under-diagnosed.

and i believe over-diagnosis runs rampant in the USA scared.gif

but i'm just CURIOUS to see what it would look like....at all,,,per capita with all assumptions documented, of course.

has anyone ever seen such a thing? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 7 2011, 07:10 PM)

has anyone seen a map???

Very tough.

but i'm just CURIOUS to see what it would look like....at all,,,per capita with all assumptions documented, of course.

I dont know. Probably with some digging you could find some data - but as you say, this data is subjective, and varies region to region just in the US, let alone in other countries! Tough thing, but Id love to see more and better data. probably in some high quality medical journals there is some better information....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 9 2011, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 7 2011, 07:10 PM)

has anyone seen a map???

Very tough.

I dont know. Probably with some digging you could find some data - but as you say, this data is subjective, and varies region to region just in the US, let alone in other countries! Tough thing, but Id love to see more and better data. probably in some high quality medical journals there is some better information....

I've been curious about this as well. Scroll down to 'Geographical Frequency.' They offer some interesting statistics.

Epidemiology of Autism

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 13 2011, 09:43 PM)
You know I hear about autism every day, but I still have no idea what it really is.

Autism is the general name given to a spectrum of disorders - specifically ASD, or autism spectrum disorders.

From Google health, a very simplistic definition: "Autism is a developmental disorder that appears in the first 3 years of life, and affects the brain's normal development of social and communication skills."

Kids can be affected to varying degrees. High-functioning kids are often verbal and can mainstream in school and in society. Low-functioning kids, like my son, are often non-verbal and require constant care and supervision.

I could go on and on. And on. I've been dealing with severe autism for about 9 years now. I have a blog too, if you want to know a whole lot more.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 5 2011, 07:42 PM)
I know this has been an ongoing issue followed here, so I thought I would share this news.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds
By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines was an "elaborate fraud" that has done long-lasting damage to public health, a leading medical publication reported Wednesday.

An investigation published by the British medical journal BMJ concludes the study's author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible.

"It's one thing to have a bad study, a study full of error, and for the authors then to admit that they made errors," Fiona Godlee, BMJ's editor-in-chief, told CNN. "But in this case, we have a very different picture of what seems to be a deliberate attempt to create an impression that there was a link by falsifying the data."

Britain stripped Wakefield of his medical license in May 2010. Efforts to reach him for comment were unsuccessful Wednesday.

"Meanwhile, the damage to public health continues, fueled by unbalanced media reporting and an ineffective response from government, researchers, journals and the medical profession," BMJ states.

The now-discredited paper panicked many parents and led to a sharp drop in the number of children getting the vaccine that prevents measles, mumps and rubella. Vaccination rates dropped sharply in Britain after its publication, falling as low as 80 percent by 2004. Measles cases have gone up sharply in the ensuing years.

In the United States, more cases of measles were reported in 2008 than in any other year since 1997, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 90 percent of those infected had not been vaccinated or their vaccination status was unknown, the CDC reported.

"But perhaps as important as the scare's effect on infectious disease is the energy, emotion and money that have been diverted away from efforts to understand the real causes of autism and how to help children and families who live with it," the BMJ editorial states.

Wakefield has been unable to reproduce his results in the face of criticism, and other researchers have been unable to match them. Most of his co-authors withdrew their names from the study in 2004 after learning he had had been paid by a law firm that intended to sue vaccine manufacturers -- a serious conflict of interest he failed to disclose. After years on controversy, the Lancet, the prestigious journal that originally published the research, retracted Wakefield's paper last February.

The series of articles launched Wednesday are investigative journalism, not results of a clinical study. The writer, Brian Deer, said Wakefield "chiseled" the data before him, "falsifying medical histories of children and essentially concocting a picture, which was the picture he was contracted to find by lawyers hoping to sue vaccine manufacturers and to create a vaccine scare."

According to BMJ, Wakefield received more than 435,000 pounds ($674,000) from the lawyers. Godlee said the study shows that of the 12 cases Wakefield examined in his paper, five showed developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine and three never had autism.

"It's always hard to explain fraud and where it affects people to lie in science," Godlee said. "But it does seem a financial motive was underlying this, both in terms of payments by lawyers and through legal aid grants that he received but also through financial schemes that he hoped would benefit him through diagnostic and other tests for autism and MMR-related issues."

Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a pediatric neurologist at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, said the reporting "represents Wakefield as a person where the ends justified the means." But he said the latest news may have little effect on those families who still blame vaccines for their children's conditions.

"Unfortunately, his core group of supporters is not going to let the facts dissuade their beliefs that MMR causes autism," Wiznitzer said. "They need to be open-minded and examine the information as everybody else."

Wakefield's defenders include David Kirby, a journalist who has written extensively on autism. He told CNN that Wakefield not only has denied falsifying data, he has said he had no way to do so.

"I have known him for a number of years. He does not strike me as a charlatan or a liar," Kirby said. If the BMJ allegations are true, then Wakefield "did a terrible thing" -- but he added, "I personally find it hard to believe that he did that."

CNN's Elizabeth Cohen and Miriam Falco contributed to this report.

I could express my opinions of Andrew Wakefield here, but I will most certainly break into SOCN territory if I did..... the Man is a Villain, responsible for the deaths of thousands of children that were otherwise preventable.

I hold no affection for Wakefield - I think he is a fraud and a liar. However, all this attention to the retraction and now the absolute dismissal of his "findings" has only fueled the fire and the staunch anti-vaccine people are rallying around him, saying he's been made a scapegoat. They continue to insist that vaccines are tools of Satan or something.

I myself, after years of research and parenting, believe that an ALTERED vaccine schedule with safer vaccines is the safest plan. If I had had another baby, I would've done things differently.

I'm thinking that the measles death toll was in the hundreds, not the thousands though. Either way, it's rotten.

Just saw some statistics on the occurrence of autism.

It's diagnosed in 1 of every 100 children, 1 in every 94 boys, and 1 in every 88 military kids.

I found this strange and wondered if there were any theories about the higher rate among children born to active-duty military families.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 27 2011, 05:17 PM)
Just saw some statistics on the occurrence of autism.

It's diagnosed in 1 of every 100 children, 1 in every 94 boys, and 1 in every 88 military kids.

I found this strange and wondered if there were any theories about the higher rate among children born to active-duty military families.

huh. First I'm hearing of the military thing.

well looks like I'm 3 for 3

I have a child

It is a boy child.

He was born in a military hospital, his father was active duty Navy at the time.

I could use a good vent.

Here goes.

The spouse and I went to a movie tonight ("The King's Speech," a wonderful, wonderful movie) which is a RARE treat for us.

Got home and Stephen goes into meltdown mode. Oh, he's been fine while we were gone, but all the transition issues with my mom leaving, and us coming home has him screeching at the top of his lungs. He has this particular shrill SCREECH that he uses when he's very frustrated - and it bores into my very soul with its intensity, till I honestly think I'm going mad. Over and over and over...every little thing he doesn't like earns a screech.

It's so hard to enjoy outings when this is the result. I don't know which is worse: never to get to go out, or to GO out and deal with the backlash.

I am just so f***ing tired. My body and soul and emotions are just exhausted from the chronic sorrow.

Thanks for letting me get this out.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 28 2011, 09:47 PM)
I could use a good vent.

Here goes.

The spouse and I went to a movie tonight ("The King's Speech," a wonderful, wonderful movie) which is a RARE treat for us.

Got home and Stephen goes into meltdown mode. Oh, he's been fine while we were gone, but all the transition issues with my mom leaving, and us coming home has him screeching at the top of his lungs. He has this particular shrill SCREECH that he uses when he's very frustrated - and it bores into my very soul with its intensity, till I honestly think I'm going mad. Over and over and over...every little thing he doesn't like earns a screech.

It's so hard to enjoy outings when this is the result. I don't know which is worse: never to get to go out, or to GO out and deal with the backlash.

I am just so f***ing tired. My body and soul and emotions are just exhausted from the chronic sorrow.

hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 28 2011, 10:47 PM)
I could use a good vent.

Here goes.

hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif

Okay...so Niall is 2 years old...OMG, he is out of control. A little background info: we say "No thank you" as opposed to just saying "No" in the hopes that when he does become verbal and talks back to us, it will at least be more polite laugh.gif;

Well, he has been in a real mood the past couple days. This morning he tore his curtains down in his room - rod and all, pulled it right out of the wall! I'm still amazed at the strength he has at only a little over 2 years old. Every time we say "No thank you" you'd think we were yelling at him - he is very melodramatic, drops to his knees and starts crying, face all squinched up. We have to turn away so he won't see us laughing, cause it's almost comical...

He has gotten very contrary to us, and it's gotten to the point where we have removed all but just a couple toys because he will literally take and throw them around the room (thankfully not at us!), under the couches - where we have to search for them later; he'll throw things over the baby gate into the kitchen and then immediately start crying because he now cant get it....

Tell me, is this typical for a 2 year old child on the spectrum - or just of a 2 year old child?? I haven't the faintest clue, because Niall is our first child.

His eating habits are getting more and more particular. He will only eat a mixture of yogurt, granola and stage 3 fruit baby food mixed together for breakfast - and we sometimes literally have to restrain him to "break the barrier" to get him to try a taste to realize that he likes it. The only other thing he will eat is Elios pizza with bacon crumbled on top. He used to like chicken...not anymore. We have a Feeding and Swallowing Specialist coming out next Thursday with one of his OT's to try and evaluate him and see what else we can try to introduce. We're on such a tight budget, we can't afford to buy things for him to "try" and not like, we really have to stick with what we know he's going to eat...we're really at our wits end when it comes to feeding him...

I am SO glad I have you guys to talk to - thanks for reading this heart.gif wub.gif

Edited to add: I just had to add that it is getting increasingly frustrating trying to explain Autism to my family. They just don't quite get it - his feeding issues mostly. They really haven't seen the "cranky" side of Niall because we live an hour away from everyone. But when we do get together, and we have all these issues with his feeding, my family looks at me like I'm pandering to him by not "forcing" him to eat what he's been given. They just don't get it...I try new things, but he always rejects it. He's non-verbal, so he can't tell me what he wants to eat...If you can't tell, this feeding thing really has me worked up... sad.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 11 2011, 03:30 AM)
Okay...so Niall is 2 years old...OMG, he is out of control. A little background info: we say "No thank you" as opposed to just saying "No" in the hopes that when he does become verbal and talks back to us, it will at least be more polite laugh.gif;

Well, he has been in a real mood the past couple days. This morning he tore his curtains down in his room - rod and all, pulled it right out of the wall! I'm still amazed at the strength he has at only a little over 2 years old. Every time we say "No thank you" you'd think we were yelling at him - he is very melodramatic, drops to his knees and starts crying, face all squinched up. We have to turn away so he won't see us laughing, cause it's almost comical...

He has gotten very contrary to us, and it's gotten to the point where we have removed all but just a couple toys because he will literally take and throw them around the room (thankfully not at us!), under the couches - where we have to search for them later; he'll throw things over the baby gate into the kitchen and then immediately start crying because he now cant get it....

Tell me, is this typical for a 2 year old child on the spectrum - or just of a 2 year old child?? I haven't the faintest clue, because Niall is our first child.

His eating habits are getting more and more particular. He will only eat a mixture of yogurt, granola and stage 3 fruit baby food mixed together for breakfast - and we sometimes literally have to restrain him to "break the barrier" to get him to try a taste to realize that he likes it. The only other thing he will eat is Elios pizza with bacon crumbled on top. He used to like chicken...not anymore. We have a Feeding and Swallowing Specialist coming out next Thursday with one of his OT's to try and evaluate him and see what else we can try to introduce. We're on such a tight budget, we can't afford to buy things for him to "try" and not like, we really have to stick with what we know he's going to eat...we're really at our wits end when it comes to feeding him...

I am SO glad I have you guys to talk to - thanks for reading this heart.gif wub.gif

Edited to add: I just had to add that it is getting increasingly frustrating trying to explain Autism to my family. They just don't quite get it - his feeding issues mostly. They really haven't seen the "cranky" side of Niall because we live an hour away from everyone. But when we do get together, and we have all these issues with his feeding, my family looks at me like I'm pandering to him by not "forcing" him to eat what he's been given. They just don't get it...I try new things, but he always rejects it. He's non-verbal, so he can't tell me what he wants to eat...If you can't tell, this feeding thing really has me worked up... sad.gif

Lots of young children go through picky phases. I knew a couple whose two-year old went through a phase where he ONLY ate (I'm not kidding) tortilla chips and salsa. Not mild salsa either - the hotter the better. We went to brunch at On The Border with them once and it was hilarious watching this baby mow through a basket of chips.

He's fine. His growth wasn't stunted from that phase (which lasted approximately three months) and he didn't get fat.

LSM, the eating/feeding issues are, unfortunately, par for the course with autism. Stephen used to eat anything and everything, then, right around 18 months, he started narrowing his choices. Over the years he has dropped all fruits, all vegetables - he eats mostly carbs and drinks only water. Period.

We used to try forcing him to try new foods, but having him gag and throw up kind of ruined everyone's appetites. So, we continue to offer new foods, and sometimes he'll take a bite. Otherwise, we give him a vitamin and hope for the best.

How well I remember the days of trying to guess what he wanted to eat. Have you begun implementing a PECS system? The easiest way to start is with foods. Make pictures of the ones he likes, and just begin showing him the picture of goldfish crackers (or whatever) continually when he's eating them. It took Stephen about 2 years to really get the hang of how it worked, so it's time to start that now if you haven't already. But I can almost guarantee you that one day it'll click and he'll realize that if he hands you the picture of what he wants, then you'll give him that food.

We rely completely on visual prompts and schedules for Stephen. It helps a lot.

aw, LSM...most of what you describe is typical terrible twos. I wouldnt worry so much about what he's eating...sounds like a perfectly fine breakfast and hell, bacon pizza?...kid has good taste! LOL

If he's gaining weight, has energy enough to throw things around and the doctor has no concerns about his general well being, leave it alone. He's 2 and has a 2 year old palate. Dont guess at what he likes or buy all kinds of crazy stuff. Give him what he likes, and a little of what you are having. Put bacon on other things, that might get his attention.

I agree with GG though on picture boards if you can get started with that, doesnt have to be anything complicated, but they surely help.

When your spitfire is on the warpath, do you do any deep pressure therapy or brushing therapy?

IE: Deep Pressure...hold him, wrap him up tightly in your arms, legs, your whole body, and just hold him firmly. Sing to him, tell him a story, whatever. He'll bitch, but just hang on, he'll come back. It helps reorganize their stimulus. Make a game, roll him up in a blanket, (not his face) the heavier the better...tell him he's an egg roll or a burrito, or blintz. laugh.gif (might get him thinking about food!)

Also a different sort of deep pressure, put cutouts of hands on wall or door, and when boy gets out of whack, tell him "Push the wall!" have him push with all his little might up against the immovable force...make grunting musclehead noises to encourage his strength and make him laugh.

Brushing...you know the brushes surgeons use to scrub up? go to your local surgical supply store, or check online, and get one of those. Then sit little hellion child down once or twice a day, and brush away! His arms, his back, his legs...this too helps reorganize his brain and brings him back.

Sounds like he's looking for sensory input...bounce him around a little, throw a beach ball at him, so it bounces off of him, not as catch. Roll him on a yoga ball (did wonders for my boys balance!) spin him in circles. Dont over do of course, just play.

And as far as explaining autism, dont try. My son is almost 16, and some of my most beloved family members still dont get it and are still unnecessarily wary of my boy. Get some articles, buy the book "Ten Things Children with Autism wish you knew" and give it to them. Then just get back to the business of Niall, he is your concern, not them.

hang in there girl! We're here for you! wub.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 11 2011, 08:03 AM)
Lots of young children go through picky phases.  I knew a couple whose two-year old went through a phase where he ONLY ate (I'm not kidding) tortilla chips and salsa.  Not mild salsa either - the hotter the better. We went to brunch at On The Border with them once and it was hilarious watching this baby mow through a basket of chips.

He's fine. His growth wasn't stunted from that phase (which lasted approximately three months) and he didn't get fat.

Thanks Mara hug2.gif