Autism

GhostGirl

OMG....nettiesaur...I remember Niall's first haircut...he was wriggling around, crying the whole time - I could barely hold onto him. I'm so glad my cousin is our hair dresser - she is infinitely patient. And she used the buzzers on him last time, and he calmed right down!! I don't know what it was about the buzzing, but it just instantly soothed him.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 3 2010, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 3 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 2 2010, 09:12 PM)
After today, I finally understand what the haircut mess is all about. My little student had a haircut yesterday, and all of the work I've been doing with him went out the window for the entire day. He just couldn't get it together, and he's not that severe.
I can't imagine what his mother went through last night.
hug2.gif to all of you who have to live this over and over.

Nettie..

oh I remember those days. ohmy.gif It got better...and thankfully we have a wonderful barber who was very patient with him.

My son trusts him so much now that he lets the barber give him a (electric) shave. smile.gif My how far we've come!

This kid got a buzz. He must have screamed the entire time, because he hasn't stopped whining for 2 days.

Really, I don't know how any of you do it.

You all have heard my horror stories about haircuts... it was nightmarish, like trying to hold a scared wild creature. Just awful.

Now Stephen climbs up in the chair and wears the cape and just sits there. Using a social story with lots of pictures helped.

And LSM, he LOVES the clippers! Hates the scissors, so we don't even try those anymore.

I never would've thought it could work out...next thing to conquer: the dentist.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 4 2010, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 3 2010, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 3 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 2 2010, 09:12 PM)
After today, I finally understand what the haircut mess is all about. My little student had a haircut yesterday, and all of the work I've been doing with him went out the window for the entire day. He just couldn't get it together, and he's not that severe.
I can't imagine what his mother went through last night.
hug2.gif to all of you who have to live this over and over.

Nettie..

oh I remember those days. ohmy.gif It got better...and thankfully we have a wonderful barber who was very patient with him.

My son trusts him so much now that he lets the barber give him a (electric) shave. smile.gif My how far we've come!

This kid got a buzz. He must have screamed the entire time, because he hasn't stopped whining for 2 days.

Really, I don't know how any of you do it.

You all have heard my horror stories about haircuts... it was nightmarish, like trying to hold a scared wild creature. Just awful.

Now Stephen climbs up in the chair and wears the cape and just sits there. Using a social story with lots of pictures helped.

And LSM, he LOVES the clippers! Hates the scissors, so we don't even try those anymore.

I never would've thought it could work out...next thing to conquer: the dentist.

Niall's first visit to the dentist. We were really worried, honestly. It was actually at the pediatricians office, and we spoke with her before she did the exam, letting her know of his recent diagnosis, and she said that she had actually had training and experience with special needs and children on the spectrum before (! yay!), and she was awesome with him. She didn't sit him in the chair, she had him lay back with his head in her lap and his feet in Daves lap, and he really didn't give her too much of a problem until she got to his top teeth - we have a problem getting to those when we brush them too. He really doesn't like his top teeth getting brushed. Doesn't mind the bottom so much, thinks its a game, will smile and clamp his teeth down on the brush but eventually let us brush them, but starts to cry when we try to get to the top ones. But she was really great with him smile.gif

I think it may have something to do with the sound/frequency of the scissors going through the hair. Kind of like nails on a chalkboard. Niall is really sensitive to different frequencies of sound. He doesn't like the vacuum or hair dryer. Which is why I was surprised about the clippers. But it may be the vibration of the clippers that soothed him. He liked vibrating toys - his OT uses them in therapy to help stimulate his mouth before working with him on speech therapy.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 4 2010, 11:36 PM)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11687808

Thanks hon - that's really very interesting. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but Dave's therapist thinks he may have Autism as well - Asperger's Syndrome actually. And this would make a lot of sense as to how Dave's brain functions at times. I shared this on my Fakebook wall, linking my friends who have children on the spectrum too. Thank you again, sweets hug2.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 5 2010, 12:19 AM)

Thanks hon - that's really very interesting. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but Dave's therapist thinks he may have Autism as well - Asperger's Syndrome actually. And this would make a lot of sense as to how Dave's brain functions at times. I shared this on my Fakebook wall, linking my friends who have children on the spectrum too. Thank you again, sweets hug2.gif wub.gif

It's certainly possible. My husband has Aspergers.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:07 AM)
Here is an article from my local paper (online) that tells about a guide dog who helps an 8 year old boy with autism (along the lines of a seeing eye dog):

http://auburnpub.com/news/local/article_2d...1cc4c03286.html

I've never heard of this before but it's a great idea if it works for sure.

I have several children with Autism Spectrum Disorder that have benefited beautifully from working with horses, especially because it works to create an emotional bond. We have one child who is relatively severe on the spectrum (no language, no emotional connection, very aggressive [he hits so, because I have epilepsy, I cannot side walk with him anymore], cannot recognize his parents- very, very sad), however, we're really hoping that therapeutic riding will benefit him.

Generally most of our kids are mild (i.e. what was once known as Aspergers) and are a lot of fun. They get a real kick out of the ponies. wub.gif

Edited by garbo

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 5 2010, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 5 2010, 12:19 AM)

It's certainly possible. My husband has Aspergers.

Dave will be going for a neuro-psych evaluation hopefully within the next month or so to determine the possibility. Niall's therapist's son has Asperger's, and it was very interesting to note that he was initially mis-diagnosed with ADHD and put on a stimulant medication (Ritalin) which caused him to have massive anxiety attacks and nightmares. They found out that he had Asperger's and that the Ritalin was actually exacerbating his symptoms, and causing the nightmares and anxiety attacks.

We think this might have happened to Dave because he was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Ritalin and a week later was sent to the ER in an ambulance with a massive anxiety attack and a blood pressure reading of 178/138. And the doctor then upped his dose of Ritalin and put him on an anti-anxiety medication to treat the side-effect of the Ritalin. He started having increased anxiety attacks, and we had to monitor his blood pressure, and he had to take Klonopin any time that he started to spike. We switched doctors shortly thereafter, but the damage had already been done, and Dave has been suffering from a severe anxiety disorder ever since.

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 5 2010, 12:19 PM)
Here is an article from my local paper (online) that tells about a guide dog who helps an 8 year old boy with autism (along the lines of a seeing eye dog):

I have several children with Autism Spectrum Disorder that have benefited beautifully from working with horses, especially because it works to create an emotional bond. We have one child who is relatively severe on the spectrum (no language, no emotional connection, very aggressive [he hits so, because I have epilepsy, I cannot side walk with him anymore], cannot recognize his parents- very, very sad), however, we're really hoping that therapeutic riding will benefit him.

Generally most of our kids are mild (i.e. what was once known as Aspergers) and are a lot of fun. They get a real kick out of the ponies. wub.gif

I am all for Hippotherapy. Easter Seals is looking into whether or not it can be covered by his care costs and incorporated into his treatment plan come spring time when it's more hospitable riding weather here in New England. Riding helps work the core muscle system, which will help all the muscles in the body work in concert with each other smile.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Nov 6 2010, 07:02 AM)
LSM, what you posted a few ago was some very sad stuff.  hug2.gif to you and the little ones.

Thanks hon hug2.gif That was actually about my husband, Dave, who is going for a neuro-psych evaluation to determine if he might have Asperger's Syndrome. Our son, Niall, was diagnosed with Autism in September.

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 6 2010, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 5 2010, 12:19 PM)

I am all for Hippotherapy. Easter Seals is looking into whether or not it can be covered by his care costs and incorporated into his treatment plan come spring time when it's more hospitable riding weather here in New England. Riding helps work the core muscle system, which will help all the muscles in the body work in concert with each other smile.gif

It's really quite amazing. I generally work with kids with CP and to see what it does for them emotionally and physically is just astounding.

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you!

Stephen has had some sort of intestinal...issue...since Friday morning. I think it's because he has a bad cold, and all the drainage.

But this certainly makes having a non-potty trained child a challenge. I am exhausted.

Every time I think it's over...then it happens again. It feels like it's never going to end.

Luckily he's eating and sleeping and acting like he feels absolutely fine, but I'm SO TIRED of the constant changing of clothes.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 7 2010, 09:44 AM)
Stephen has had some sort of intestinal...issue...since Friday morning. I think it's because he has a bad cold, and all the drainage.

But this certainly makes having a non-potty trained child a challenge. I am exhausted.

Every time I think it's over...then it happens again. It feels like it's never going to end.

Luckily he's eating and sleeping and acting like he feels absolutely fine, but I'm SO TIRED of the constant changing of clothes.

Ugh changing clothes, changing sheets, doing laundry at all hours of the night. I know how that goes, hon hug2.gif Hopefully he'll get better soon, hon heart.gif hug2.gif

Chances are good I'll be chiming in on this thread a lot, soon. Some of you may remember that my little Aedan was first evaluated for Autism when he was about 2 1/2 (real close to his third birthday). He was borderline and I was told he should be re-tested. Long story short, I've known something has been up with my little guy for many years now. I'm leaning more towards Asperger's which I understand is being classified as, "high-functioning" autistic. His "red flags" are pretty blaring. I had a two-hour IEP report meeting with his school (he attends a special needs pre-school) yesterday and it is really apparent that they all see screaming "red flags" and I see the same at home. So... hopefully he'll be re-evaluated ASAP.

Oddly, I'm not upset about this. I think because I've known for so long now that there was something up with my little guy. He has a number of issues so I think that has hindered a previous diagnosis. He was born with extreme low muscle tone, severe speech apraxia and mild motor apraxia. He has been seeing therapists (physical, occupational and speech) since he was three months old. Not like any of this is new too me. I figure, let's just do what needs to be done so we can get going on any help that he needs.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 16 2010, 02:56 PM)
Chances are good I'll be chiming in on this thread a lot, soon. Some of you may remember that my little Aedan was first evaluated for Autism when he was about 2 1/2 (real close to his third birthday). He was borderline and I was told he should be re-tested. Long story short, I've known something has been up with my little guy for many years now. I'm leaning more towards Asperger's which I understand is being classified as, "high-functioning" autistic. His "red flags" are pretty blaring. I had a two-hour IEP report meeting with his school (he attends a special needs pre-school) yesterday and it is really apparent that they all see screaming "red flags" and I see the same at home. So... hopefully he'll be re-evaluated ASAP.

Oddly, I'm not upset about this. I think because I've known for so long now that there was something up with my little guy. He has a number of issues so I think that has hindered a previous diagnosis. He was born with extreme low muscle tone, severe speech apraxia and mild motor apraxia. He has been seeing therapists (physical, occupational and speech) since he was three months old. Not like any of this is new too me. I figure, let's just do what needs to be done so we can get going on any help that he needs.

That's awesome that you are not in denial. Stay strong, get on it early, and kick its ass!

Stupid autism. angry.gif

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 16 2010, 04:56 PM)

Atta girl Janie! Good attitude. wub.gif This is no death knell, and it seems you've pretty much been on the road for awhile, now you just have a direction to follow.

We're here for you! hug2.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 16 2010, 04:56 PM)

That really is such a great attitude to take. Big hugs honey, we're all here for you - we've got a great little support group going here, for all the parents of kiddos on all ranges of the spectrum, and K is right, it certainly is no death knell, and early intervention makes such a big difference wub.gif heart.gif

Okay so this just really bothered me. I realize that it was an offhand comment, self-deprecating towards the poster....but it bothered me nonetheless. I was defending the person who had posted what I thought was a pretty good marketing idea for Anthem in this thread: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330, who had made some pretty blatant spelling and gramattical errors in his email to Anthem - and this person had called him out...so I just said he/she could have been a little kinder in their criticism and they retorted back with this: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330#

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Nov 21 2010, 03:32 PM)
I just said it needs to be rewritten. Considering what I wanted to say I don't see how that's impolite.

Maybe I have Asperger Syndrome.

So all I said in reply was "you really may want to watch what you say about that too. My son has Asperger's, and there are quite a few parents on this board who have children with Autism as well, and there are many, including myself, who could take offense to that comment, offhand or no.

All I was saying was to explain yourself more when you give criticism. It's called constructive criticism."

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little bit...

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 21 2010, 04:04 PM)
Okay so this just really bothered me. I realize that it was an offhand comment, self-deprecating towards the poster....but it bothered me nonetheless. I was defending the person who had posted what I thought was a pretty good marketing idea for Anthem in this thread: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330, who had made some pretty blatant spelling and gramattical errors in his email to Anthem - and this person had called him out...so I just said he/she could have been a little kinder in their criticism and they retorted back with this: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330#
I just said it needs to be rewritten. Considering what I wanted to say I don't see how that's impolite.

So all I said in reply was "you really may want to watch what you say about that too. My son has Asperger's, and there are quite a few parents on this board who have children with Autism as well, and there are many, including myself, who could take offense to that comment, offhand or no.

All I was saying was to explain yourself more when you give criticism. It's called constructive criticism."

I dunno LSM..., here's my thoughts

The "needs a rewrite" was blunt, but not necessarily cruel. Not sure I would have called the poster out.

"Maybe I have Aspergers Syndrome."

Should people be sensitive to disabilities? Sure. You were right to let the poster know that some people might be offended by this offhand remark. You handled it better than me new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif as I would have just let it go...maybe thicker skin, maybe cause I've been at this for a really long time,(13 years since dx) and I'm just not ruffled as easily by these things.

Not that anyone shouldnt be ruffled, or blow it off but I dont think it was meant to be offensive but it shouldnt be said in the first place but maybe they DO have Aspergers and YOU offended THEM.

(the above runon is meant to show ONLY how I FEEL about how freaking complicated things get when I think too much about someone elses words. I have bigger fish to fry. But I didnt mean for it to be offensive and I didnt mean to hurt anyone's feelings....etc) smile.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 21 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 21 2010, 04:04 PM)
Okay so this just really bothered me.  I realize that it was an offhand comment, self-deprecating towards the poster....but it bothered me nonetheless.  I was defending the person who had posted what I thought was a pretty good marketing idea for Anthem in this thread: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330, who had made some pretty blatant spelling and gramattical errors in his email to Anthem - and this person had called him out...so I just said he/she could have been a little kinder in their criticism and they retorted back with this: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61330#

I dunno LSM..., here's my thoughts

The "needs a rewrite" was blunt, but not necessarily cruel. Not sure I would have called the poster out.

"Maybe I have Aspergers Syndrome."

Should people be sensitive to disabilities? Sure. You were right to let the poster know that some people might be offended by this offhand remark. You handled it better than me new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif as I would have just let it go...maybe thicker skin, maybe cause I've been at this for a really long time,(13 years since dx) and I'm just not ruffled as easily by these things.

Not that anyone shouldnt be ruffled, or blow it off but I dont think it was meant to be offensive but it shouldnt be said in the first place but maybe they DO have Aspergers and YOU offended THEM.

(the above runon is meant to show ONLY how I FEEL about how freaking complicated things get when I think too much about someone elses words. I have bigger fish to fry. But I didnt mean for it to be offensive and I didnt mean to hurt anyone's feelings....etc) smile.gif

Well, I didn't single him out completely, I actually partially agreed with him, just said that he could have been a little kinder is all - this was my post:

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 21 2010, 03:20 AM)

This is a really good idea, and I think ghostworks has a good followup suggestion to the idea as well - and I do also agree with savagegrace26 (though, savage, you could have been a little kinder in your criticism) that you probably should have proofread for grammar and spelling errors before sending off that email.  I was trying to read it out loud to my husband and was having issues trying to get through some of your sentences in figuring out what you were trying to say.  Having said that, I think it is a great idea, and if it were released, I hope that we have the money to purchase it! trink39.gif smile.gif

He singled out what I said to him with that followup about Asperger's, which to me seemed completely out of left-field...

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 04:04 AM)
He singled out what I said to him with that followup about Asperger's, which to me seemed completely out of left-field...

I think you are being too sensitive here.

I myself have Aspergers and I actually appreciate people pointing out something that I have done "oddly" or "wrong".

Sometimes people get upset or annoyed on our behalf when there is no real need, thouh I appreciate your motives. smile.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 22 2010, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 04:04 AM)

I think you are being too sensitive here.

I myself have Aspergers and I actually appreciate people pointing out something that I have done "oddly" or "wrong".

Sometimes people get upset or annoyed on our behalf when there is no real need, thouh I appreciate your motives. smile.gif

Hon, I only got upset at the comment after the fact that even after agreeing with him (just not the way he went about it), he got upset with me for saying so, and then made a really random comment about maybe he had Asperger's. Yes, perhaps I was a little touchy about it, because my son was recently diagnosed, and I hate the thought of people being singled out because of a disability - but also because of what my husband is going through with his work right now (he's going to be going in for a neuro-psych eval to find out if he has it as well and it's just been misdiagnosed as ADHD all this time)...he's on the verge of being fired, and I'm under a lot of strain between the two of their situations, so when I get a comment like that, seemingly out of left field, not related to anything, it just pushed a button. I didn't go off on him in there. I said something relatively mild, left it at that, and came into this thread to talk to people here about it...I'm generally un-confrontational. I don't like getting in peoples faces, even cybernettically.