Can Clockwork Angels Be Topped?

upstateNYfan

I want them to made a hemispheres #2 concept album as a testament to their older and most devoted fans. And go on tour to play their most obscure songs with no screens and big machines on stage and with their old costumes. No songs past the 90's and i will be happy... Then they could retire on a high note.

but geddy can't even reach high notes anymore!

As long as he can go deep to reach the obscure notes!

I hate to say it, but CA has really cooled on me. At one point I felt it was a top 10 album, but i think its more around 15

The lyrics of the album are weak IMO. The story/lyrics just dont do it for me. The lyrics to almost every song revolves around "I" or my feelings, and the story overall is not super strong.

Clockwork Angels is simply outstanding. The storyline, the playing, the sequence, the dynamics. It's got everything Rush.

Can it be topped?

This might be unpopular, but I can't see them outdoing it, and frankly, they should have a little fun on the next tour.

CA is the antithesis of Rush, proper.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Damn, the honeymoon is over?... :)

it seems so. I remember when CA first came out, people were saying it was better than hemispheres, permanent waves, etc. I wasn't one of the people saying that, but I thought it was really good (still do). I haven't listened to it in god knows how long though, and now that the album is nearly two years old the buzz has kinda died down I think.

• Like 1

it seems so. I remember when CA first came out, people were saying it was better than hemispheres, permanent waves, etc. I wasn't one of the people saying that, but I thought it was really good (still do). I haven't listened to it in god knows how long though, and now that the album is nearly two years old the buzz has kinda died down I think.

The impression I am getting too. I have tried to love it but its just to noisy for me. I like it better than anything since Power Windows but I am a sh*tty judge of such things anyway due to my extended hibernation.... :)
  • Like 1

I love CA, partly because it's the album that really got me into Rush. For the past year I've probably listened to it almost every week at some point.

If they can top CA, good luck to them.

The only thing I don't like about CA is the book - just downloaded a sample, not the whole thing, but what I read was unbelievably badly written.

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about CA is the book - just downloaded a sample, not the whole thing, but what I read was unbelievably badly written.

Agreed. It would probably be good as a book for pre-teens, but as an adult novel it's very mediocre at best.

I think the album was well done there's just something about it that doesn't grab me. It doesn't say pick me up and play me. More often than not when a CA song comes up in the rotation I skip it. I can listen to the entire album and enjoy it but generally the desire is not there. Besides the actual lyrical content, I would say it's probably partly the production. It's just too compressed, recorded too loud and not enough space in the music.

I'm pretty sure they can top Clockwork Angels, they always find a way to raise their own standards.

If not, I am absolutely certain they can make a better sounding record.

I don't know how they did it, but even the vinyl sounds muddy.

I think we're in agreement over some things. Instead of going bigger, they could try and go deeper. Sleek and sharp rather than heavy and blunt.

I think you should write the initial draft (idea/story) and Neil can write the lyrics from your idea. Wouldn't be dull I bet.... :scared: :)

Yeah, Narp, great idea. Me collaborating with Neil definitely wouldn't be a series of arguments that starts with philosophical differences and ends with sugar in his gas tank. Seriously, though, if they decide to collaborate with someone, maybe giving Kevin J. Anderson a break this time around wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Yeah this too ^^^ is the first rush album i actually only play less than half of to be honest, the good half is usual brilliance the second half a tad dull.

I still say bu2b the most developed and progressive the band ever been, sensational track.

The impression I am getting too. I have tried to love it but its just to noisy for me. I like it better than anything since Power Windows but I am a sh*tty judge of such things anyway due to my extended hibernation.... :)

I also think it's the best since power windows

I'm pretty sure they can top Clockwork Angels, they always find a way to raise their own standards.

If not, I am absolutely certain they can make a better sounding record.

I don't know how they did it, but even the vinyl sounds muddy.

they do need to get away from that foo fighters/modern rock production

I also think it's the best since power windows

Thats only because you have excellent taste and are correct more often than not.... :D
  • Like 1

Seriously, though, if they decide to collaborate with someone, maybe giving Kevin J. Anderson a break this time around wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Someone please keep Kevin J. Anderson busy somehow so he doesn't do another Rush collaboration!

Seriously, though, if they decide to collaborate with someone, maybe giving Kevin J. Anderson a break this time around wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Someone please keep Kevin J. Anderson busy somehow so he doesn't do another Rush collaboration!

He's working on a graphic novel of Clockwork Angels at the moment so he'll be busy

I think it can be topped if

No producers from the band Foo Fighters

Remind Alex that a guitar has six strings

No layered vocals

synthesizers ? maybe just a touch? One to two songs a cd.

c'mon Rush you can do it , You've outlasted Motley Crue time to shine !

• Like 2

Absolutely Yes..... :)

I think it is easily their most overrated album, not because it's bad, but because of it being held up as a masterpiece by so many. I appreciate the playing - the all-around musicianship - but I don;t find the song writing all that strong. It's not that listenable to me,
  • Like 1

I'll listen to Counterparts or Presto before I'll put CA on. As a whole, CA as an album, over time, has become a :beathorse: . I'll listen to the title track, but that's about it.

As soon as I saw the thread's title, I immediately knew one of the first 3 posts in the thread was going to be either someone who hates stuff after Signals or PoW, or someone who stopped after T4E. I was right :rage:

I love Clockwork Angels. Something is telling me that this will be their last album, though. After this break of theirs, I think it'll be one more tour to finish it off, then they enjoy retirement with bottles of wine and baseball/hockey and some of their own non-Rush writing. I would consider CA being the last as "going out on top", and I am well aware that some people on here would disagree with me. That's okay.

They would have to write some killer tracks to top this one. I got the impending Foos album/tour to satisfy me this year since Rush and Maiden are taking a break. I can wait a bit, let them enjoy the break :sundog: