Imagine Dragons Cover Rush’s ‘Tom Sawyer’

barney_rebel

Speaking of weird Rush covers (though aren't all of the covers a little weird?) has everyone heard Nelly Furtado doing "Time Stand Still"? I still have a hard time believing that exists, and I've heard it.

Gonna embed the video for everyone's listening displeasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0hKk4YHXo

• Like 2

The intro sounds like the boot screen for an 80's Nintendo cartridge. PRESS START! That can't be her normal singing voice. There's some serious ProTooling or something going on there.

I wonder if she's secretly a Rush fan.

• Like 1

It's better than what Queens of the Stone Age could manage lol.

Have Queens of the Stone Age covered Rush? I was a big fan a couple of years ago, but I haven't paid too much attention lately (though I did like the new album for a few listens). They've done some esoteric covers of artists I like (Brian Eno, Elliott Smith) but they mostly fall flat for me. Their cover of ZZ Top's "Precious and Grace" was pretty good, though.

Speaking of weird Rush covers (though aren't all of the covers a little weird?) has everyone heard Nelly Furtado doing "Time Stand Still"? I still have a hard time believing that exists, and I've heard it.

It really speaks to the greatness of the song that I could stand to listen to that all the way through. With some better instrumentation and Nelly singing it straight, that would be a decent track.
  • Like 2

It really speaks to the greatness of the song that I could stand to listen to that all the way through. With some better instrumentation and Nelly singing it straight, that would be a decent track.

Totally. It sounds like a demo to me (well, a demo performed on a 1980's game console). If she played that for me I'd go "Cool, when are you going into the studio to record it?" and then there'd be awkwardness while we sorted out the confusion.

At least the live version doesn't sound like The Chipmunks:

http://youtu.be/voPtCo_k7W8

• Like 1

I really don't like this cover. I couldn't even watch the whole thing I found it that bad.

Have Queens of the Stone Age covered Rush?

hahaha not that I know of mate.

I was actually making a reference to Josh Homme's rant about Imagine dragons winning a grammy.

• Like 1

The intro sounds like the boot screen for an 80's Nintendo cartridge. PRESS START! That can't be her normal singing voice. There's some serious ProTooling or something going on there.

I wonder if she's secretly a Rush fan.

I thought it was an 8 bit spoof at first. How very odd!

On the vocal side, just sing normally, it sounds like the cover version on Rock Band, and it was horrendous.

On the music side, well they pulled it off I suppose, but I have never been interested in covers that try to sound like the original. To that I say, why not just listen to the original (they are excused because this is a live performance, not a studio recording). To make a cover memorable however, something new has to be brought to the table. There is a cover of Tom Sawyer by the synth punk band Mindless Self Indulgence that, though most people on here would not like, is very memorable for its drastically different tempo, vocals, and instrumentation, and I think its a great cover for that reason.

I've never even heard of the band...should I have done?

I never have either but I just figured everybody already knew that..... Like I said, great they tried but it sounded like sh*t... :)
  • Like 3

At least the live version doesn't sound like The Chipmunks:

http://youtu.be/voPtCo_k7W8

Can't say that ad lib from 1:24 to 1:34 was very well thought out though... :doh:

• Like 1

I have seen and heard much worse.......but his vox was an abortion on this tune. Really made him sound like a 2 bit singer in some dive bar doing kariokee.

Music...good save for the buther job on the guitar solo......don't play it...unless you know it. Plus the e to f sharp muffled....sounds weak.....play the open signature arpreggiated chords Alex is well known for.....he owns the open F sharp.

Meh.

Find me a band that hasn't covered Tom Sawyer. Then I'll be impressed.

Also, it's possible that Imagine Dragons' mentality is that they're merely covering a hit song, not a Rush song.

No. :no: They said the band was really into prog so this was a dream for them. Sad the singer wasn't up to it.

Sounded very tight to me! Have to say I'm surprised at some of the negativity here towards them covering the song. Ok so the singer has to falsetto to reach the high notes - so would like 95% of male vocalists that aren't Geddy. Hell, even Geddy doesn't even really try to hit those notes anymore. And yes of course it doesn't sound quite like the original, they're Imagine Dragons not Rush. That's part of the point of playing a cover isn't it? My point is that a band that is currently going through huge levels of commercial success is actually going out there and presenting Rush's music to a whole new audience. How could that possibly be a bad thing?? I think playing that kind of song (i.e. quite complex and less known by your average audience) was a really ballsy thing to do and imo they did a very good job. Like some of you, I don't particularly like what I've heard of Imagine Dragons' own music so far but with this case I don't see how that's relevant. They've certainly gained some respect from me for this. Edited by Drummerrobin
  • Like 1

I've never even heard of the band...should I have done?

I never have either but I just figured everybody already knew that..... Like I said, great they tried but it sounded like sh*t... :)

What you need to know is that they are one of the few rock bands that still make it on the billboard hot 100. They have made a mix of good and bad songs so far. I reccomend their song It's Time.