Best songs left off an album

Rutlefan

iron maiden - total eclipse

I think that was the B side to Run to the Hills. I'm almost positive a buddy of mine had a picture disc single with RTTH backed by Total Eclipse. Great tune.

I'm so young, the first time I heard number of the beast it already had total eclipse on it. had no idea until years later that it wasn't on the original album. awesome song

The Cure - The Exploding Boy (The Head On The Door),This Twilight Garden (Wish)

Pearl Jam - Breath, State of Love And Trust

Smashing Pumpkins - Set The Ray To Jerry,The Aeroplane Flies High,Marquis In Spades,God,Cherry

Tom Petty - Trailer,Waiting For Tonight (featuring The Bangles),all the Let Me Up I've Had Enough b sides off Playback

Oh, RushBoingo...because of you I now have to spend money on yet MORE music...Oingo Boingo sound really interesting. Gonna head to Amazon and start with...Dead Man's Party?

Their 2nd album, Nothing To Fear, is my personal favorite.

I sent you a personal message Segue with some sample songs to see which era of theirs you should start with. And Invisible Airwave, Nothing to Fear is good, but maybe not the best start album, I know it took me a bit longer to hook on to that album compared to Only a Lad and Dead Man's Party (all of which I aquired at the same time). My personal favorite is Dark at the End of the Tunnel (probably their least talked about), but I think their best is Boingo.

Murder by Number - Police, Syncronicity

Jailbreak - AC/DC, Dirty Deeds US release

Soul Stripper - AC/DC, High Voltage US release

Murder By Numbers was on the cassette version of the album when it was originally released. But it is arguably the best song on the album. No clue why Miss Gradenko or Mother were left on the vinyl instead of MBN.

Those were the two songs not written by Sting!

Andy and Stew got a song each.

I remember the cassette having the track, and being amazed that it was left off the album. As I recall. the cassette was one of the first "metal" tapes released, and the extra track was a selling point.

Fleetwood Mac:

SILVER SPRINGS!!! How on earth did such an enormous classic get left off? Saying that...Rumours is perfect as it is...STILL...Stevie Nicks never forgave the band for this. And she was right.

Yeah, that's one of the most curious ones there is. This is why NASA doesn't encourage cocaine use during a mission; it doesn't make one think clearly, apparently.

I read the making of Rumours and the reason Silver Springs was left off was record length. The song was too long to fit on either side of the album and Stevie wouldn't let them edit it down. She was heart broken. Lindsey got the band to record one of her older songs I Don't Want To Know instead so she would have another song on the album.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

iron maiden - total eclipse

I was going to say this myself. The rerelease has it though which is nice.

• Like 1

Iron Maiden "Cross Eyed Mary".

I'd be surprised if that was ever intended to be on the album. They've done lots of covers for release as singles or B sides.

But they did such a great job with it! I still have the shaped picture disc it came on (backside of "The Trooper," iirc).

The Biggest Example that comes to mind is the fact that Oingo Boingo's last album Boingo is missing about six or seven songs. Why, because they approached the record with a heavy emphasis on live improvisation when recording, and the recordings got a little long, but they were very pleased (the most extreme example being a song that when preformed on tours prior to the album was 3:30 long, yet the album version wound up at exactly 16:00). Anyway they picked the best of the recordings for the album, picked one more for a tape only bonus track (due to their slightly longer play time), and the others were performed live only. I really wish there was a double album re-release with the missing tracks restored, but alas the album, and band, is rather obscure.

What I really wish is that Oingo Boingo had done a live release from the shows they did the previous year, when they were working on the new material for that album by playing it live. It was an exceptional show, by a band that was always great live. The new material was exciting and energetic, and they were clearly passionate about it. Then they overegged the pudding during recording, and I found the album to be a big letdown.

The heartbreaking track, "When the Tigers Broke Free" off of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" wasn't on the first issue. It was in the film version of "The Wall", though. Subsequent reissues do have the track, however, and it is a tearjerker.

One of my favorite songs. Good call.