Favorite guitar solo?

Rutlefan

Anything by David Gilmour could make the list. Every solo he plays just fits the song like a glove, and every note is perfectly judged. He proves that you don't need to play at 100mph to make a good solo.

Obviously, Comfortably Numb is a classic and pretty unbeatable. Time, Shine On..., Another Brick pt2, Coming Back to Life are all fantastic. The harmonised solo in Dogs really does something to me. On the Turning Away, Sorrow. The title track on On an Island. The list goes on.

• Like 2

Anything by David Gilmour could make the list. Every solo he plays just fits the song like a glove, and every note is perfectly judged. He proves that you don't need to play at 100mph to make a good solo.

Obviously, Comfortably Numb is a classic and pretty unbeatable. Time, Shine On..., Another Brick pt2, Coming Back to Life are all fantastic. The harmonised solo in Dogs really does something to me. On the Turning Away, Sorrow. The title track on On an Island. The list goes on.

Atom Heart Mother Suite ( early Dave ) 10:45 - 13:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C3bxQ06Kpg

• Like 1

Thin Lizzy - Still in Love With You. The original studio version is still the best. Gary Moore on lead guitar. He could shred like a mother... and play beautifully melodic solos that you could sing, much like David Gilmore. Oh and speaking of Gilmore, the slow middle solo in Dogs is my favorite of his.

Props to the posting above with Telegraph Road. I've listened to that song for two hours straight before. Knopfler is amazing.

Edited by beneathbetweenbehindyourmom

But my all-time favorite guitar soloist is Marc Ford, when he was with the Black Crowes. And this is his best: "Sometimes Salvation":

Hear, hear! Marc Ford is tremendous. Or at least I hope he still is, whatever he's up to these days. I hope he is taking care of himself.

What has always struck me about that solo in Sometimes Salvation, the studio version- it's all about the compression! I don't know exactly how he achieved that sound, but wowsa...incredible.

That being said, I think I might actually like Cursed Diamond a little better, though- credit to Marc Ford and Rich Robinson equally for that.

I've heard far too many solos and I'm entirely too indecisive to come up with a favorite solo of all time, out of all of the guitarists I've ever heard...I don't even think I could narrow down a top twenty.

• Like 1

La Villa - Hands down favorite solo of all time... by anyone. Lerxst in all his glory. It build so perfectly from swells to shred and drops right into the nice little rif to take us back... in 7/8 time no less.

My favorite NOTE of all time occurs at 4:33.

Lerxst in Wonderland gets my vote too. If I was only allowed to listen to one piece of music for the rest of my life, that would be it. So emotionally charged.

• Like 1

La Villa - Hands down favorite solo of all time... by anyone. Lerxst in all his glory. It build so perfectly from swells to shred and drops right into the nice little rif to take us back... in 7/8 time no less.

My favorite NOTE of all time occurs at 4:33.

Lerxst in Wonderland gets my vote too. If I was only allowed to listen to one piece of music for the rest of my life, that would be it. So emotionally charged.