An idea for the band regarding their next step

LeaveMyThingAlone

I think we all have an opinion as to what the band will or should do next. Record an album? Tour? Record only a few songs? I don't think Rush even knows what they will do next. What we do know is that they need to continue to grow, be different, and challenge themselves. I really like the idea of an all instrumental album. My favorite thing about Rush is the playing, not the lyrics or vocals, and I think a lot of us feel that way. As a result, Rush is about the only band in the world that could get away with that and not have a drop off in sales. "Brand Loyalty"

I think it would be fun to make. I think it would create some amazing challenges for the band. And I think they "could" create something unlike anything that's ever done. Whether that's 12 5 minute songs, or one long masterpiece, they could pull it off. And if they tour behind it, less emphasis on Rush's biggest obstacle in touring, Geddy's voice.

Extreme longshot, but I would love it

Well, they've split Neil's drum solos down from one long one to 3 short ones. I suppose this allowed them to showcase each of the segments in discrete parts, and to keep Neil's arms from falling off. I suppose they could add a few more instrumentals into their show to preserve Geddy's voice.

Perhaps they could include 5 or so of the following in their setlist:

YYZ

La Villa

MalNar

Monkey Business

Leave That Thing Alone

medley of oldies

a new instrumental

If they played around 4 songs between each instrumental, and had their 3 mini drum solos, they would still have a show of close to 30 songs. But only 20 would need to be sung.

That might help Geddy a bit.

• Like 2

not gonna happen but I want a long song or two, some more nods to their late 70s/early 80s stuff, an instrumental that's longer than 3-4 minutes, alex sounding more like 70s/80s alex and not doing that sort of standard hard rock sound he's had on most of their recent records. CA was on the right track and I think it's a killer f***ing album but alex just doesn't sound unmistakably alex anymore.

I would love it if they would do an entirely instrumental album. I think it would be a major challenge and very exciting if done well. It would be cool if they could do some sort of soundtrack album, like an instrumental rock opera type thing. Just for example. It almost seems like a natural type progression at this point. Hopefully having some time off will give them some new ideas and they'll come back fresh and ready to record some new stuff.
  • Like 5

I love scrooge! That picture made my life complete!

Um...I think I'm an exception...I prefer Rush with Geddy singing. I love he instrumentals, don't get me wrong, but a whole album without his voice? Um...maybe...

Honestly, I don't see why they can't continue doing songs with vocals as long as Geddy doesn't have to hit certain notes or do any screeching. I'm not being mean, just realistic. :huh:

I agree. An album at his now comfortable range would help him as much as an instrumental. I sing in a Rush tribute band. One mid range song between two high ones is enough. You don't want to stop singing entirely for 45 minutes and then jump into Circumstances.

• Like 3

CA was on the right track and I think it's a killer f***ing album

alex just doesn't sound unmistakably alex anymore.

Alex does "sound" like himself. Every solo on CA is a salute and bridge to almost every era of the band's history.

CA is that return to yesteryear.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't see why they can't continue doing songs with vocals as long as Geddy doesn't have to hit certain notes or do any screeching. I'm not being mean, just realistic. :huh:

I agree. An album at his now comfortable range would help him as much as an instrumental. I sing in a Rush tribute band. One mid range song between two high ones is enough. You don't want to stop singing entirely for 45 minutes and then jump into Circumstances.

well I don't think we have to worry about hearing that tune from the boys anytime soon

CA was on the right track and I think it's a killer f***ing album

alex just doesn't sound unmistakably alex anymore.

Alex does "sound" like himself. Every solo on CA is a salute and bridge to almost every era of the band's history.

CA is that return to yesteryear.

well, it's close, but a lot of the main riffs just sound like standard modern hard rock to me. that's not to say I don't really like them, because I do, but this sort of like, faux-grunge-ish foo fighters-y guitar shit he's been doing since CP is just not my favorite. keep in mind I like CP, love CA, and I think the albums in between are all at least okay. but I like how on the older stuff, even on presto, you hear a bit of a song and there's no doubt it's alex lifeson playing...now you have to wait til the vocals to realize you're hearing a rush tune.

Edited by bathory

I can see another album. What kind of album I don't know. Extensive tour might have to slow down. I don't know how much more geddy's voice can take. I know for me i hope a new album would be better produced and not a complete raping of my ears.

Mick

• Like 1

Id be happy if the band took a lot of pressure off themselves to produce an epic cd length album and went back to the shorter length of vinyl days. Even in the case of this great group i think more quality less quantity applies. look at permanent waves for example not a single note out of place every second perfection in itself, whereas you can probably pinpoint superfluous stuff in all three of their last albums, however great the albums as a whole were.

No wonder they cant even think about dropping new material when its clearly such a long drawn out arduous ordeal of an undertaking. cant recall exectly but they say took like a couple weeks to lay 2112 down, loosen up and get somewhere near back to that attitude fellas why dontcha.

Heck even a nice little ep would be fantastic we're gaggin for it here man, clockwork angels seems a lifetime ago :)

• Like 2

I would not want them to do only instrumental and don't see that they need to. Neil is still writing some great lyrics and I still love listening to Geddy sing... but I'd prefer it if he concentrated on the lower range of his voice. Most people find high notes harder work as they get older and he's no exception. Even if you can manage it and it sounds OK, it's not good for your vocal cords to keep meeting such heavy demands.
  • Like 1

I can see another album. What kind of album I don't know. Extensive tour might have to slow down. I don't know how much more geddy's voice can take. I know for me i hope a new album would be better produced and not a complete raping of my ears.

Mick

Definitely another album....same generic style, same drone. Should be called "The music remains the same"

• Like 2

Mick

Definitely another album....same generic style, same drone. Should be called "The music remains the same"

Good1 :LOL:

I would love a another album, but I wanna hear Geddy sing, it would be boring in the end if its only instrumental, I do love their instrumental songs, but I dont think they can do it better then La Villa Strangiato.

They also have to mix the album better, since Clockwork Angels got so bad sound quality.