Your Album[s] Of 2013!

Segue Myles

I don`t want to sound like an old stick in the mud . :eyeroll:

But .

Having a reissue as you fav album of the year is a bit sad.

Your not giving the oppertunity to up and coming bands and hell even your old fav bands that are still producing new stuff .

:finbar:

Change Becomes Us by Wire. If you don't know this band, they released three groundbreaking/seminal/definitive lp's from '77 - '79 (which have since become legendary among post-punk afficianados, their tracks covered by many, REM's Strange being the most well-known). Then they split up in '80 though they had a bunch of great material for their 4th lp. After five years of solo projects they reformed but left the earlier unreleased material behind and went on a very different tangent (much like Rush did in the mid-'80s). They finally - 33 years later - returned to the "Lost 4th lp" material and the result is Change Becomes Us. Freaking masterpiece. Atmospheric Prog Post Punk (they were dubbed Punk Floyd after their moody 3rd lp; this is in the same vein). Check out Adore Your Island and Time Lock Fog for a sample. If you like those, Doubles & Trebles and Re-Invent Your Second Wheel are a good intro as well.

Other releases that got my attention: Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine, and The Church. Wire won going away, though.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Change Becomes Us by Wire. If you don't know this band, they released three groundbreaking/seminal/definitive lp's from '77 - '79 (which have since become legendary among post-punk afficianados, their tracks covered by many, REM's Strange being the most well-known). Then they split up in '80 though they had a bunch of great material for their 4th lp. After five years of solo projects they reformed but left the earlier unreleased material behind and went on a very different tangent (much like Rush did in the mid-'80s). They finally - 33 years later - returned to the "Lost 4th lp" material and the result is Change Becomes Us. Freaking masterpiece. Atmospheric Prog Post Punk (they were dubbed Punk Floyd after their moody 3rd lp; this is in the same vein). Check out Adore Your Island and Time Lock Fog for a sample. If you like those, Doubles & Trebles and Re-Invent Your Second Wheel are a good intro as well.

Other releases that got my attention: Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine, and The Church. Wire won going away, though.

It is a fabulous record.

Oh yeah, the beginning of "Adore Your Island" reminds me of a certain band circa 1987 or so...

Edited by ReRushed

But .

Your not giving the oppertunity to up and coming bands and hell even your old fav bands that are still producing new stuff .

Or maybe ones have and the new releases pale in comparison to a golden oldie reissue. I have heard many albums from this year, and yet none are truly as good as the Fleetwood Mac Rumours reissue bonus discs with alternate tracks and demo recordings. If ones feel a reissue or remix is an album of the year, then perhaps that is because nothing of the last twelve months did anything for them.

Only about five albums pleased me this year. One is a remix, the other a reissue. I haven't enjoyed 2013 that much at all this year.

Bu a host of discoveries have made this a great Year: the missing Rush albums, Massive Attack, Jeff Wayne...Stevie Nicks...if I made a top ten of the best albums new to me this year, only two would make the grade!

For me, best albums of the year:

Temperance Movement- self titled

Paramore- self titled

Alter Bridge- Fortress

Ayreon- The Theory Of Everything

Top Ten listening experiences:

1) Rush- Power Windows (once this hooked me nothing else comes close)

2) Paramore- The new album blew me away. Perfect pop!

3) Stevie Nicks- Bella Donna

4) Massive Attack- Mezzanine (finally grew on me)

5) Alter Bridge- entire pre-2013 discography blew me away

6) Miles Davis- both We Want Miles and Bitches Brew added to my musical year.

7) Temperance Movement- album did blow me away, but nit as much as the excitement of British rock finally sounding authentic agajn!

8) Fleetwood Mac's Mirage and Tusk became two of my all time favourite albums

9) Love- Forever Changes- finally got myself a copy and boy did I love it!

10) Fleetwood Mac reissued Rumours. Both bonus discs impressed me.

Unlike 2012, this year belonged to the past for me!

I still have a lot more to look forward to in 2014. My awaiting discovery of Yes is one potential highlight, as is my further exploration of Fleetwood Mac. Hopefully I can add a lot more in the way of new releases to that list.

Its not all doom and gloom though, Haken, Von Hertzen Brothers and Anneke van Giersbergen have releases this year that I still need to purchase. They all look like potential winners to me!

But .

Or maybe ones have and the new releases pale in comparison to a golden oldie reissue. I have heard many albums from this year, and yet none are truly as good as the Fleetwood Mac Rumours reissue bonus discs with alternate tracks and demo recordings. If ones feel a reissue or remix is an album of the year, then perhaps that is because nothing of the last twelve months did anything for them.

Only about five albums pleased me this year. One is a remix, the other a reissue. I haven't enjoyed 2013 that much at all this year.

Bu a host of discoveries have made this a great Year: the missing Rush albums, Massive Attack, Jeff Wayne...Stevie Nicks...if I made a top ten of the best albums new to me this year, only two would make the grade!

I see what you mean , but when it comes to the best album of 2013 , it should be an album of 2013 so how poor the year has been .

Best Reissues of 2013 .

Whithout doubt Rumours . :cool:

my 2013 list

Karnivool - Asymmetry

Black Sabbath - 13

RUSH - Vapor Trails Remix

Alter Bridge - Fortress

Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Sevendust - Black Out The Sun

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

Queensrÿche - Queensryche

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

Various Artists - Sound City Real To Reel

I'm glad Alter Bridge have been getting a lot of love on this forum!

Top 10 for me (no order)

Ayreon-Theory

Big Big Train-Electric II

DT-DT

Flower Kings-Rose

Haken-Mountain

Riverside-Shrine

Spock's Bead-Nocturne

Steve Wilson-Raven

Temperance Movement-TM

Winery Dogs-WD

Also a great year for Live Albums...

Rush, DT, Flying Colors, Steve Hackett, Neal Morse, Muse, Portnoy/Sheehan/Sheridan/MacAlpine.

Been listening to these lately:

BS - 13

Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady

Why Janelle isn't as popular as the overrated kiddie pop female singers now I don't understand. She's a nice throwback to soul and vintage pop music in the same vein as Alicia Keys. She's the real deal compared to phonies like Beyonce and Rihanna.

• Like 2

BS - 13

Why Janelle isn't as popular as the overrated kiddie pop female singers now I don't understand. She's a nice throwback to soul and vintage pop music in the same vein as Alicia Keys. She's the real deal compared to phonies like Beyonce and Rihanna.

Yeah she's fantastic. Her material is so diverse and she incorporates so many influences. She's definitely one of my favorite pop artists.

• Like 1

BS - 13

Yeah she's fantastic. Her material is so diverse and she incorporates so many influences. She's definitely one of my favorite pop artists.

She's absolutely my favorite pop artist. No one else is even close.

BS - 13

Despite my hatred for her new album, I love Beyoncé. She is the real deal. Her live performances are amongst the finest I have ever seen in ANY genre of music. I have a dvd of her performing a stripped back, acoustic style performance and it blows every other female singer of the genre out of the water. As for her new album, its disgusting.

As for Alicia Keys, if Janelle is even half as good, I just know I am going to love her! Will check her out asap!

Oh, and Emili Sande is the best british pop artist of our era. I dunno about anybody else. Although released last year, her debut album has been one of the highlight purchases of my 2013!

CA.. of course.

Oh, two of my pictures from Rush CA tour in Atlantic City NJ. Row 2. - Far Cry

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/P1000591_zps875c4c5e.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/P1000593_zps3c2a3712.jpg

Edited by custom55