Which Tour That You Attended Had The Smallest Crowd?

presto123

Post your concert going experiences here. There was a tour I attended a long time ago where I noticed that the whole top of the arena(Market Square....Indy) was curtained off. I found this unusual and disheartening for Rush in Indy. If memory serves me right it was the Hold Your Fire tour. Anybody else remember smaller crowds on that tour? I know Tommy Shaw was opener for some of the legs.(if my memory is correct again?) Post your experiences here with smaller than usual or lame crowds. Thankfully, almost all the shows I've attended(about 35 or so) have been well attended:) Edited by presto123

Post your concert going experiences here. There was a tour I attended a long time ago where I noticed that the whole top of the arena(Market Square....Indy) was curtained off. I found this unusual and disheartening for Rush in Indy. If memory serves me right it was the Hold Your Fire tour. Anybody else remember smaller crowds on that tour? I know Tommy Shaw was opener for some of the legs.(if my memory is correct again?) Post your experiences here with smaller than usual or lame crowds. Thankfully, almost all the shows I've attended(about 35 or so) have been well attended:)

Radio City only seats about 6,000, and Mohegan Sun only had 8,000, but that's their capacity, I think. I love seeing Rush in the smaller venues like this.

On the T4E tour they played The Ice Palace (not sure what corporate name it has now) in Tampa which is pretty big (holds 20,000 or so). It's got 3 levels above the floor and the whole top level was curtained off and maybe half of the second level sold. Now I don't know if that was the smallest crowd but it was the show with the most empty seats.

The smallest venue though was The Lakeland Civic Center which holds around 8200 on the HYF tour. I had front row right in front of Geddy!!!

my first tour was time machine, people were standing and loud and drunk and smoking weed and there were hot chicks and everything, it was like a concert from the 70s or 80s (from what I've been told about 70s and 80s concerts). my little area of the lawn had a lot of people sitting but they were, for the most part, cool with me and my friend standing. clockwork angels tour on the other hand was different. even though no one told us to sit or anything, the setlist didn't have nearly enough hits in it for the people at either CA show I attended. Nashville was especially lame. one younger guy (who was actually there with his older boyfriend) actually bitched to me about how the person smoking pot should get thrown out. (there was a guy a few rows above us smoking weed) I didn't even respond to the guy

really rush fans are a timid, lame bunch in general it seems. for every rocker in the crowd, there's someone who thinks the show is too loud and he's checking his phone to see what the football game score is and he's asking everyone around him "when the hell are they gonna play tom sawyer?" Edited by bathory

The whole top of Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam was curtained off too, which came to my surprise as I would have expected them sell out a place like that. Ziggo Dome has a capacity of 17.000 people, so I guess there would have been around 12.000-14.000 people which is quite good. I remember thinking the place felt a little empty, but I think that is common when you are standing in the middle of it. All the bootlegs I have watched from that show, the place looks crammed with people. We didn't go as crazy as you north americans do (but nobody goes as crazy as the south americans!), and people on the balconies were mostly sitting down.

But as you can see here, the boys still got a great response:

http://youtu.be/w721W0YJrJc?t=5m41s

:rush:

The concert in Frankfurt that is on the R30 DVD had less than 3,000 people according to Neil in his Roadshow book. The smallest on that tour.

This is not correct. The capacity of the venue is listed on their homepage with 13,500. Here's a picture of that show which shows you that this can't be true. :huh:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/rushr30frankfurt_zps7f84de61.jpg

I don't know if north americans have gone crazy at a rush show since 1981

You expect 40-50 year old Rush fans to start moshing? What's 'crazy' to you? Screaming all the lyrics until your vocal cords snap? Dry humping some babe in front of you during Headlong Flight? Last Rush gig I saw, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Who gives a shit HOW they enjoy themselves (as long as they do so without harming others of course)?

The concert in Frankfurt that is on the R30 DVD had less than 3,000 people according to Neil in his Roadshow book. The smallest on that tour.

This is not correct. The capacity of the venue is listed on their homepage with 13,500. Here's a picture of that show which shows you that this can't be true. :huh:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/rushr30frankfurt_zps7f84de61.jpg

ups, wrong picture that one is from the Time Machine Tour. Here's one I found from R30, or just watch the DVD. The place was packed.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/rushr30_zpsc405ee51.jpg

• Like 1

2nd leg of the T4E tour at Hospitality Point in San Diego, about 5000-6000 (full capacity but a smaller venue). They had just played to near capacity at the Sports Arena (12,000) about 5 1/2 months previous so don't know why they played the area again so soon. But it sure was an awesome place to see a show......right on San Diego bay. I also saw Santana and the Allman Bros. there as well (different shows). Edited by driventotheedge

Hemispheres tour...I saw them at Austin's Municipal Auditorium...venue capacity 2,300.

http://www.test4echo.net/images/Stub/Stub_2-25-79.jpg

(Not my ticket stub.)

• Like 1

For me it was on the Signals Tour 1983, when they played the Rhein-Neckar Halle in Eppelheim near Heidelberg. Here's a photo of the gym.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/rush-eppelheim_zps7bb3dab3.jpg

Most of my shows have been in Toronto. The low attendance point was Presto and Roll The Bones. Presto had the smallest crowd that I recall post Moving Pictures at Maple Leaf Gardens, but they had two shows. The Roll the Bones tour only had one show in Toronto and it did not sell out, many upper level seats open. Funny but the production was a definite step up on those tours in comparison with the earlier tours. As for lame crowds, I prefer a quiet crowd during the songs.

You expect 40-50 year old Rush fans to start moshing? What's 'crazy' to you? Screaming all the lyrics until your vocal cords snap? Dry humping some babe in front of you during Headlong Flight? Last Rush gig I saw, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Who gives a shit HOW they enjoy themselves (as long as they do so without harming others of course)?

no I'm not asking for moshing or dry humping (even though I saw one act of dry humping during working man on the time machine tour), but when everyone around me in my section is texting or sitting there looking bored as hell, or the one guy who actually bitched about the smell of pot smoke (I wasn't smoking, but still, grow up pussy, it's a concert), that is very annoying and it looked to me like people in my section weren't enjoying themselves. which raises the question of why the hell did you buy 90 dollar seats if you dont know a single song after 1982?

by all means JohnnyBlaze, read the sunday paper at a rush gig. bring some yarn and knit if you feel like it. do yoga on the lawn. I can't stop you, but be aware that you're a lame-ass for doing it.

Post your concert going experiences here. There was a tour I attended a long time ago where I noticed that the whole top of the arena(Market Square....Indy) was curtained off. I found this unusual and disheartening for Rush in Indy. If memory serves me right it was the Hold Your Fire tour. Anybody else remember smaller crowds on that tour? I know Tommy Shaw was opener for some of the legs.(if my memory is correct again?) Post your experiences here with smaller than usual or lame crowds. Thankfully, almost all the shows I've attended(about 35 or so) have been well attended:)

Well Hold Your Fire did suck . ;)

i would say Indy last year for me with the top level curtained off.

Well Hold Your Fire did suck . ;)

i would say Indy last year for me with the top level curtained off.

Are you serious? The CA tour last September at Banker's Life? I was there. Maybe they had the VERY top curtained off but there was still a ton of people there IMO.

EDIT: Looked it up. Attendance was 7,303 out of 10,800 capacity or so. Was a little low but not too bad. Amazing that the band at many venues can still pull 10-13 thousand without an opening act. Rush fans are great!

Edited by presto123

It was March 30, 2011. Surprisingly, It was the opening night of the second leg of TMT. They had just been in the area in October and the show just didn't sell well. They actually had to close to upper level and upgrade everyone's ticket. :facepalm:

The second night at the Nokia Theatre in 2008 for S&A was probably 4,000 or less. They had played the Hollywood Bowl in 2007. The first night at the Nokia was probably 80-90% full, but the second night they closed the upper level and there was still quite a bit of space on the floor. Just over saturated the market a bit by the end of that tour. But I wasn't complaining as I was able to get 4 free tickets to that second show.

Marty: The last time Tap toured America, they where, uh, booked into

10,000 seat arenas, and 15,000 seat venues, and it seems that now,

on their current tour they're being booked into 1,200 seat

arenas, 1,500 seat arenas, and uh I was just wondering,

does this mean uh...the popularity of the group is waning?

Ian: Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no...no, no, not at all. I, I, I just think

that the.. uh.. their appeal is becoming more selective.

no I'm not asking for moshing or dry humping (even though I saw one act of dry humping during working man on the time machine tour), but when everyone around me in my section is texting or sitting there looking bored as hell, or the one guy who actually bitched about the smell of pot smoke (I wasn't smoking, but still, grow up pussy, it's a concert), that is very annoying and it looked to me like people in my section weren't enjoying themselves. which raises the question of why the hell did you buy 90 dollar seats if you dont know a single song after 1982?

by all means JohnnyBlaze, read the sunday paper at a rush gig. bring some yarn and knit if you feel like it. do yoga on the lawn. I can't stop you, but be aware that you're a lame-ass for doing it.

Wise ass. The point is why do you care? You feel cooler if they're lame?