Which Tour That You Attended Had The Smallest Crowd?

presto123

I don't know if north americans have gone crazy at a rush show since 1981

You expect 40-50 year old Rush fans to start moshing? What's 'crazy' to you? Screaming all the lyrics until your vocal cords snap? Dry humping some babe in front of you during Headlong Flight? Last Rush gig I saw, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Who gives a shit HOW they enjoy themselves (as long as they do so without harming others of course)?

no I'm not asking for moshing or dry humping (even though I saw one act of dry humping during working man on the time machine tour), but when everyone around me in my section is texting or sitting there looking bored as hell, or the one guy who actually bitched about the smell of pot smoke (I wasn't smoking, but still, grow up pussy, it's a concert), that is very annoying and it looked to me like people in my section weren't enjoying themselves. which raises the question of why the hell did you buy 90 dollar seats if you dont know a single song after 1982?

by all means JohnnyBlaze, read the sunday paper at a rush gig. bring some yarn and knit if you feel like it. do yoga on the lawn. I can't stop you, but be aware that you're a lame-ass for doing it.

Wise ass. The point is why do you care? You feel cooler if they're lame?

people who defend the concert goers who text and fall asleep during any song after 1982 are usually those exact same people.

and no it's not about feeling cooler. if you were surrounded by people texting and looking bored at a rush show you'd probably be annoyed too. actually no, you'd probably be sewing a quilt or something with your buddies. nevermind.

and no it's not about feeling cooler. if you were surrounded by people texting and looking bored at a rush show you'd probably be annoyed too. actually no, you'd probably be sewing a quilt or something with your buddies. nevermind.

Stop acting so tough and cool. This is a message board...and a Rush one to boot. But go ahead and keep ripping me if you get off on it, I can't stop you...just like you can't stop what others do at gigs
  • Like 2

I never ripped you or acted tough/cool (I was unaware that not sleeping or texting at a rush gig was just me trying to be tough/cool) I just know from experience that the type of people who say "hey! so what if people text and fall asleep during rush concerts?" are usually the ones who text and fall asleep at rush concerts. also the same people who make sure everyone in a one mile radius of them stays seated for the entire concert.

Post your concert going experiences here. There was a tour I attended a long time ago where I noticed that the whole top of the arena(Market Square....Indy) was curtained off. I found this unusual and disheartening for Rush in Indy. If memory serves me right it was the Hold Your Fire tour. Anybody else remember smaller crowds on that tour? I know Tommy Shaw was opener for some of the legs.(if my memory is correct again?) Post your experiences here with smaller than usual or lame crowds. Thankfully, almost all the shows I've attended(about 35 or so) have been well attended:)

Well Hold Your Fire did suck . ;)

:no:

• Like 2

I never ripped you or acted tough/cool (I was unaware that not sleeping or texting at a rush gig was just me trying to be tough/cool) I just know from experience that the type of people who say "hey! so what if people text and fall asleep during rush concerts?" are usually the ones who text and fall asleep at rush concerts. also the same people who make sure everyone in a one mile radius of them stays seated for the entire concert.

Right. I forgot how much of a compliment sewing a quilt at a concert is. You should reread what you posted. Slowly. Seriously.

And no I don't care one bit if someone near or next to me is texting. That's their thing to do not mine. Oh, I also don't fall asleep or tell others to sit at gigs. Honestly, I don't much notice my friends next to me at shows because I'm watching the show. Get it?

I enjoy the shows regardless of what people around me are doing. But when the audience is dead, like at Jones Beach during a week night (really, any Jones Beach show), it's not as fun or enjoyable as when the audience is electric. Even the band recognizes this and agrees.
  • Like 2

I don't know if north americans have gone crazy at a rush show since 1981

They still get a great crowd reaction here in Buffalo. Maybe where you live isn't a Rush town. But since we're so close to where they're from in Toronto, we've always loved us some Rush in this city. Even if they're doing songs people don't know that well or at all, every Rush show I've attended here the audience is always respectful of what the band is playing and the bulk of the crowd is paying attention to the performance. On the last tour when they played all the new stuff, most of the crowd still stood for the whole thing. The entire floor and most of the first level of reserved seats where on their feet for the entire Clockwork Angels part of the show.

Edited by J2112YYZ

make no mistake, I ALWAYS enjoy a rush gig. if you like to sew or sleep or text or whatever, that's cool. it's not so much that I care what the crowd is doing, because I'm going to enjoy the show no matter what, but it does annoy me when people look bored or aren't watching the show. I understand different people have different favorite songs and this and that (I'm not a huge fan of bravado and I sat during that one, mostly because I had rocked so hard during the first seven songs) but when someone is visibly bored during most of the set or texting or whatever it does make me wonder why the hell they bought a ticket. like ledrush said, if the the crowd is more alive, the show has a better overall energy or vibe, and I feel like the band can sense it too.

and the bulk of the crowd IS rush fans at rush shows, but my last show, despite being a great performance, I ended up in a section where literally everyone sat except me and my friend (we were at the top of our section so don't worry, we didn't obstruct anybody's view) and I could see many people around me texting, playing with their phones (not filming either), etc. to me, rush is a hard rock band, and even the synth stuff is mostly get-up-and-move type music for me. and the energy didn't even change during the hits. while most of my section seemed more attentive during yyz, sawyer, etc, hardly anybody looked excited at all. basically, it was a lot like J2112YYZ's Toronto test for echo gig he described earlier in the thread.

and the bulk of the crowd IS rush fans at rush shows, but my last show, despite being a great performance, I ended up in a section where literally everyone sat except me and my friend (we were at the top of our section so don't worry, we didn't obstruct anybody's view) and I could see many people around me texting, playing with their phones (not filming either), etc. to me, rush is a hard rock band, and even the synth stuff is mostly get-up-and-move type music for me. and the energy didn't even change during the hits. while most of my section seemed more attentive during yyz, sawyer, etc, hardly anybody looked excited at all. basically, it was a lot like J2112YYZ's Toronto test for echo gig he described earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I hate that type of shit. I think Rush crowds, for the most part, are rather mellow, but people on their phones during a bulk of the show is just unacceptable.

I don't care of people are bored or sitting down or sewing or texting or are trying to catch up on some work.

What DOES bother me is people doing things that effect me. The last show I tried going to I was engulfed in a cloud of cigarette smoke, and later pot smoke. Both completely disgusting to me. I would much rather deal with the people falling down drunk (there were those too) because at least they didn't fall on me as long as I got out of their way. But this is why I don't go to concerts in general ever. Too many pepole have zero respect for the people around them - they just want to have a good time in their chosen manner. That's fine, I just don't attend. Shame.

Hemispheres tour...I saw them at Austin's Municipal Auditorium...venue capacity 2,300.

http://www.test4echo.net/images/Stub/Stub_2-25-79.jpg

(Not my ticket stub.)

lucky bastard! i didn't see 'em till Signals.

I'm really glad I managed to catch the tour. PeW tour was damn good, too. Boots just don't do those shows justice.

Yeah, I hate that type of shit. I think Rush crowds, for the most part, are rather mellow, but people on their phones during a bulk of the show is just unacceptable.

yeah if you just wanna sit on your phone why go?

way more annoying than pot smoke.

I don't care of people are bored or sitting down or sewing or texting or are trying to catch up on some work.

What DOES bother me is people doing things that effect me. The last show I tried going to I was engulfed in a cloud of cigarette smoke, and later pot smoke. Both completely disgusting to me. I would much rather deal with the people falling down drunk (there were those too) because at least they didn't fall on me as long as I got out of their way. But this is why I don't go to concerts in general ever. Too many pepole have zero respect for the people around them - they just want to have a good time in their chosen manner. That's fine, I just don't attend. Shame.

oh so YOURE the one who complained to me about the person several rows ahead of us with a joint?

• Like 1

i don't know why someone on their cell phone would need to take away from your enjoyment of a show - just focus on the show.

and it's nice that pot smoke (and i guess cigarette smoke) doesn't bother you. for those of us who it does, it's intolerable. those people take away the choice for the rest of us of whether we want to breathe it in or not, or we don't go if we don't want to breathe it in, and that's seriously unfortunate for those of us who would love to see our favorite band (or bands) without having other people's addictions right in our face. those people simply don't give a shit, or they're off in their own little worlds where they're just doing their thing completely oblivious to how it effects those around them. i'd rather go to a concert filled with people doing cocaine or shooting heroin - at least those addictions are confined to their own bodies and doesn't effect everyone else around them.

i don't know why someone on their cell phone would need to take away from your enjoyment of a show - just focus on the show.

and it's nice that pot smoke (and i guess cigarette smoke) doesn't bother you. for those of us who it does, it's intolerable. those people take away the choice for the rest of us of whether we want to breathe it in or not, or we don't go if we don't want to breathe it in, and that's seriously unfortunate for those of us who would love to see our favorite band (or bands) without having other people's addictions right in our face. those people simply don't give a shit, or they're off in their own little worlds where they're just doing their thing completely oblivious to how it effects those around them. i'd rather go to a concert filled with people doing cocaine or shooting heroin - at least those addictions are confined to their own bodies and doesn't effect everyone else around them.

trust me, a crowd of cokeheads would be 100 times more annoying than a crowd of stoners. of course, as mellowed and sleepy as a rush crowd usually is, if I didn't know any better I'd say they're all stoned to begin with.

cigarette smoke, I also can't stand. and just to clarify I've never brought bud into a show and started smoking it just because I know how prudish a lot of people are (don't wanna upset some straight-edge tough guy or get goob sending a security guard after me) but if someone else in the crowd smokes pot I don't mind the smell.

and besides I never said people on their phones took away from my enjoyment - I just think those people are lame as hell.

trust me, a crowd of cokeheads would be 100 times more annoying than a crowd of stoners. of course, as mellowed and sleepy as a rush crowd usually is, if I didn't know any better I'd say they're all stoned to begin with.

i'm telling you how it is for me. saying "trust me" doesn't mean anything to me.

cigarette smoke, I also can't stand. and just to clarify I've never brought bud into a show and started smoking it just because I know how prudish a lot of people are (don't wanna upset some straight-edge tough guy or get goob sending a security guard after me) but if someone else in the crowd smokes pot I don't mind the smell.

and besides I never said people on their phones took away from my enjoyment - I just think those people are lame as hell.

i'm glad that you're respectful of those around you by not smoking at shows. i would only report it if i thought it would actually do something, but that's rarely the case.

and i'm glad the cell phones or other things going on aren't taking away from your enjoyment of shows. i understand now, you're just incredibly judgmental of others and what they do. ;)

i'm telling you how it is for me. saying "trust me" doesn't mean anything to me.

no really, I've been around a coked up friend while sober before. it's annoying as hell. hyper, too talkative, annoying as hell. gimme chilled out people over that anyday.

• Like 1

i'm glad that you're respectful of those around you by not smoking at shows. i would only report it if i thought it would actually do something, but that's rarely the case.

and i'm glad the cell phones or other things going on aren't taking away from your enjoyment of shows. i understand now, you're just incredibly judgmental of others and what they do. ;)

well yeah if you're sewing a quilt at a rush gig you're forever branded a lame ass. :dweez:

well yeah if you're sewing a quilt at a rush gig you're forever branded a lame ass. :dweez:

What if its a star man quilt?

• Like 2

People addicted to weed? It is a small minority of pot smokers.

And your inability to live life while tolerating the decisions of those around you unless it has absolutely no impact on you is a bit sad. You can use the same reasoning to ban unhygienic people, people who wear cologne, people who eat food that you can smell, people who own non-hypoallergenic pets, or people who have touched peanuts.

I hate the smell of fish to no end. But I'm not arrogant enough to demand that people around me not eat it because I might puke or get a headache. Take care of your own shit and mind your own damned business.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1