What's the best live rock album?Any opinions?

Virtualbob64

The Stones have released a shirtload of great live sets over the last year or so.

Black Sabbath Live at Last, warts and all, is great. So is Live at Hammersmith Odeon from the Mob Rules tour.

The Kinks' One For the Road and Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From the Road are my favorite albums by those bands.

• The Who - Live at Leeds- duh Even the NY Times agrees with me "Crackling Noises O.K. Do Not Correct!"

• The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out

• Yes Yessongs

• Pink Floyd - Ummagumma ( disk 1 )

• Led Zeppelin - TSRTS ( a lot of overdubs though )

• Golden Earring - Live

• CSNY - 4 Way Street

• Cream - Live Vol II

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0391.jpg

Edited by custom55

The Stones have released a shirtload of great live sets over the last year or so.

Black Sabbath Live at Last, warts and all, is great. So is Live at Hammersmith Odeon from the Mob Rules tour.

The Kinks' One For the Road and Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From the Road are my favorite albums by those bands.

Good call on One for the Road. I played that album to death.

Tim Buckley - Dream Letter, Live in London

Always happy to meet another Tim Buckley fan. The man's life was tragic. So much talent (and a life) gone to waste by drugs.

Didn't he drowned? :huh:

That was Jeff, the son.

Wow, all these years, i never knew they were related. I thought you were joking till i just googled it...damn

My favorite Live Album is probably Farewell: Live from the Universal Amphitheater Halloween 1995 by Oingo Boingo, it had a lot of energy and emotion for a final concert that stopped an otherwise content and still productive band due to hearing loss.

I also enjoy Owl City Live in LA (though that is a DVD only, not an album), and They Might Be Giants live at the Kennedy Center (an internet video release, again not officially an album)

For Rush, I sincerely hope that Clockwork Angels becomes my favorite because setlist wise it would be my favorite, but we will have to see how the production is. For now it is A Show of Hands. I personally find All the World’s a Stage overated.

Yeah, the Stones' Brussels Affair '73 is absolutely stellar. Mick Taylor for the win!

At this point in the thread I don't need to type anything, as most shit will have been covered by now. And any stuff I submit that hasn't been posted so far probably won't interest anyone anyway, so it'll save me the bother of actually thinking about it. :cool:
  • Like 1

At this point in the thread I don't need to type anything, as most shit will have been covered by now. And any stuff I submit that hasn't been posted so far probably won't interest anyone anyway, so it'll save me the bother of actually thinking about it. :cool:

You are a trooper. Hang in there.

although for zep I'd say how the west was won is a lot better than song remains the same

I just think (The Song ) it has an Arua of Zepp. The Music , the Film , the bad haircut John Paul Jones had at the time .

Good call on One for the Road. I played that album to death.

Me too.

Rush - All The Worlds a Stage

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes

Led Zepplin - The Song Remains the Same

Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

For all rock fans raised in the 1970's, this was an era of great live albums.

Music fans want to hear 'warts and all' live albums, don't touch up the bum notes and dodgy vocals !!

• The Who - Live at Leeds- duh Even the NY Times agrees with me "Crackling Noises O.K. Do Not Correct!"

• The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out

• Yes Yessongs

• Pink Floyd - Ummagumma ( disk 1 )

• Led Zeppelin - TSRTS ( a lot of overdubs though )

• Golden Earring - Live

• CSNY - 4 Way Street

• Cream - Live Vol II

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0391.jpg

God Yeh ! Ummagumma ! and of course Cream .

Is There Anyone Out There is not bad Either

So many great Purple live albums, as well as Made In Japan:

Live In London

La Derniere Seance

On The Wings Of A Russian Foxbat

Aachen 70

In Concert

Denmark 72

I have a soft spot for Kansas' Two For The Show too.

Ooh, Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue 1975 is an absolute cracker.

• Like 2

You are a trooper. Hang in there.

:LOL:

If they haven't been mentioned already, two of the best live albums ever: Maiden's Live After Death and AC/DC - If You Wan't Blood You've Got It. Both pretty much perfection and equalled if not better versions than studio. Seriously deprived if you avoid these two titles.

I was raised in the 70's which was the era for live albums I guess. I'll probably get beat up for this but mine is Kiss Alive! Which I understand was "touched up" by Eddie Kramer.But,then again is any live album actually 100% live?Let's take this one step further.What's the best Rush live album?

You won't get beat up for picking Kiss Alive, it's the 1st one I thought of before coming into this thread.

• Like 2