3. The Garden

4. The Garden

5. The Garden

6. The Garden

7. The Garden

8. The Garden

9. The Garden

10. The Garden

I didn't read your list too closely, but from what I've seen you post about the Clockwork Angels album, I'd have thought "The Garden" might have made it on there. Or did I miss it?

• Like 1

Half the World. As long as there's one Rush fan anywhere in the world that puts it in their top 150, it's their most overrated song.
  • Like 1

1. The Garden

2. The Garden

3. The Garden

4. The Garden

5. The Garden

6. The Garden

7. The Garden

8. The Garden

9. The Garden

10. The Garden

I didn't read your list too closely, but from what I've seen you post about the Clockwork Angels album, I'd have thought "The Garden" might have made it on there. Or did I miss it?

I don't hate CA, but despite repeated attempts to get into it, and even after seeing the material performed live a couple months ago, I just don't like it much. I like the storyline and the artwork and the attempt at another concept album but between the disjointed music with the cluttered sounding production and Geddy's aging voice and total inability to compose great melodies and hooks, it's since been relegated to coaster status. The Garden opens up nicely, but I'd like it much better with someone else singing. Geddy's voice just annoys me when the chorus kicks in. He has little range or power left.

• Like 1

1. The Garden

2. The Garden

3. The Garden

4. The Garden

5. The Garden

6. The Garden

7. The Garden

8. The Garden

9. The Garden

10. The Garden

I don't hate CA, but despite repeated attempts to get into it, and even after seeing the material performed live a couple months ago, I just don't like it much. I like the storyline and the artwork and the attempt at another concept album but between the disjointed music with the cluttered sounding production and Geddy's aging voice and total inability to compose great melodies and hooks, it's since been relegated to coaster status. The Garden opens up nicely, but I'd like it much better with someone else singing. Geddy's voice just annoys me when the chorus kicks in. He has little range or power left.

Hahaha!! :goodone: I had the same top 10 (Top 5, I think) earlier in this post, and feel the same way about the album.... And The Garden in particular...

For me it's the piano part.... No Rush songs should have such depressing piano parts played by non-members of Rush... Every time I hear it, I think it's some random song played by unknown musicians that Geddy sings over and Alex did a solo over, and added his classic open chords (So it sounds like Rush).... And how many times do they have to say goodbye in this story? Wouldn't "I wish that I could live it all again" be sufficient to end this story??? Why the last three songs? They keep saying goodbye, but never leave!!! Cheers! :cheers:

5. Closer to the Heart

4. 2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

1. Tom (*chokes*) Sawyer (*gags*)

Honorable Mentions: Working Man, YYZ

Ha. What a POINTLESS post , I thought. then proceeded to read every entry...

And here's the winner - agree on all except 2112 which, although i don't hold up as their "masterpiece" is still pretty fine. But Closer to the Heart? Yes! Why the hell did they keep pulling this out year after year? I admit , i'm a 1980 and before fan ( until the last album came out) so I'm only really thinking about those albums but yeah - Tom Sawyer -in fact the whole sound of Moving Pictures put me off the band for a long time. YYZ...jesus .. Spirit of Radio...it's hard to argue Neil as a great writer when this gets thrown back at you as evidence.And I've tried. Good post - good fun - nice one

I presume we don't include "I Think I'm Going Bald" ? - that's just a taken?

Rush doesn't have overrated songs.

Other bands always have that overplayed song that you skip like stairway to heaven, bohemian rhapsody, iron man, light my fire, etc.. But Rush? No.

Even when Tom Sawyer comes on the radio I turn it up because its still usually better than the previous song they played!

• Like 1

Are a lot of these songs really rated high enough to be overrated? Stick it out is rated highly, secret touch? This is more like a thread simply about rush songs you don't like.

That's what I was thinking.

Stick it Out is a #1 charting rock single from an album that many hardcore Rush fans inexplicable say is the band's best since ____. So, yeah, it's rated highly.

Secret Touch was a concert staple and was the second single off the album.

Something doesn't need to be among the best to be overrated. If there is a consensus that Counterparts is the band's 10th best album, I'll say the album is overrated as I think it's the band's worst album. Also, you don't have to dislike a song to say it's overrated. If consensus is that Tom Sawyer is the band's 5th best song, and you like 40 songs more than it, you can say it is overrated.

• Like 1

The Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

Open Secrets

Losing It

Tom Sawyer

All very good songs, all over-rated in some way or the other by somebody whether it's that they've never played it before (Open Secrets) or rarely (Jacob's Ladder) or way too much (Tom Sawyer).

I think The Camera Eye grew in popularity over the years mostly because it was the only song not played off their most popular album for a million years. Is it good? Of course! But it's probably the weakest track on MP overall.

Losing It I love. LOVE. They blew it by not playing this one while the string section was touring with them and I don't know why. But again, it's just one of those song that grew to mythic proportions mostly because it was never played live before. Just imagine the ball washing Witch Hunt would have by now if they had kept it strictly studio this whole time!

I might like The Garden better if someone else was singing it. Geddy's voice just doesn't cut it for me when he gets to the chorus

Hahaha, yeah imagine that:

--

Neil: "Hey guys, I.. want to sing The Garden!"

Geddy / Alex: "WHAAT?!"

Neil: "You heard me."

Geddy: "But God damn it, Neil, I'm the singer!"

Neil (shuffling through his pockets)

Alex: "He must REALLY like guys that stand up for themselves, Ged!"

Neil: "Ah, here it is! If you please, my audtion cassette..

Um.. anybody have a tape player anymore?"

Geddy: "Sure, right here under my retired doublenecks and Oobenheimer whosie-whatsis kabob. Here you go."

Alex: "What's on the tape, Neil?"

Neil: "Patience is a virtue best served cold, Alex. Here we go! Now listen:"

(Tape) "La da dee la da dee da da.. La da dee la da dee da da..

You have entered the Twighlight Zone!"

Alex: "Twighlight Zone? Dude, Geddy sang that!"

Geddy: (I sang that? I don't even REMEMBER that one)

Neil: "Ho, ho! But now watch as I somehow remove Geddy's vocals and replay the chorus:"

(Tape) (2 measures of long, awkward silence and then suddenly..)

"HUSH.. WHISPER.. SOMETHING.. ZONE.. AND.. STUFF.. IS KNOWWWWNNN"

Geddy / Alex: "That's amazing! What's that, a ghost or something??!"

Neil: "No, dammit! One night while you two were baked and passed out from weed brownies on the tour bus I secreted away to the studio and did my own backing track for some of the choruses for Twighlight Zone. And now that I've had experience with lead vocals, I want to sing The Garden!"

Geddy: "Listen, man.. It takes way WAY more than that to be a lead singer if even for one song. I'm afraid the answer's no."

Neil: "But I have only begun! BEHOLD my next audition to sing lead:"

(Tape) "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2.." BADDA! BADDA BADDA!!!

Geddy: "What!? That's just you counting us into Animate! That's crap it doesn't count!"

Alex: "Well, I mean technically he IS counting.."

Neil: "Never one to rest on my laurels I now produce my third and final audition:"

(Tape) "'As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky.."

Geddy: "Seriously, what the HELL Neil! Now you're just making shit up!!"

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

I've only got 3:

By Tor and the snow dog: the instrumental part feels like it's a lot longer than it should be and it just makes it feel like album padding.

Time Stand Still: It's good, but I don't see why it's so often cited as the best song on the album. While I find HyF to be a very weak album overall Force Ten is more engaging and better sounding as opposed to TSS which almost sounds like a poor attempt at pop music.

Tom Sawyer: Yes, it's a great song, but it's far from their Magnum Opus. Why it's considered so I can only guess it's because it's the song that made them famous due to not enough people bothering to listen to any of their other tracks.

Yeah, funny to see the posts about "hating the hits." Then again, every band has those fans. I have heard Zeppelin "purists" diss "Stairway to Heaven" and my nephew laments that Metallica hasn't done anything earth-shattering since 1991. Not unusual for Rush fans to feel the same I guess. Edited by jjgittes

Yeah, funny to see the posts about "hating the hits." Then again, every band has those fans. I have heard Zeppelin "purists" diss "Stairway to Heaven" and my nephew laments that Metallica hasn't done anything earth-shattering since 1991. Not unusual for Rush fans to feel the same I guess.

Well, I'm not sure that people are saying they "hate" the hits, but more that the hits aren't as good as some of the non-hits.

As for your nephew, he seems to be making the opposite argument, seeing as 1991 was the year that Metallica had an album almost completely made of hits, and he thinks this is their last good album. First off, he's right. But second, this would be more like the fans of Rush who think everything after 1981 was downhill, which is probably the opinion of most Rush casual fans.

A Farewell to Kings. From embarrassing keyboards to a pedantic Neil at his sophomoric worst, I really don't get the adoration this song gets. Between the Wheels. Not a bad song, but for me far from the best track from P/G. Again, terrible use of keyboards. The Garden. Although a new track, it was almost immediately raised to "Stairway to Heaven" status. Not terrible, but far from great. Cygnus, Books I & II. Fun musically, but lyrically and vocally, this is the stuff that kept RUSH out of the Hall for so long, and why so many HATE RUSH.

I actually think the entire AFTK album (in Rush fan circles obviously, not to the general population) is overrated. Even the "hit" from this album, Closer to the Heart, is meh to me.

clearly I'm being punked.

1. The Garden

2. The Garden

3. The Garden

4. The Garden

5. The Garden

6. The Garden

7. The Garden

8. The Garden

9. The Garden

10. The Garden

:LOL: that was gonna be my exact response.

Tai Shan: it's nice and peaceful, folks say. Geddy and Alex think it should have been a single. I don't think so.

Dog Years: cited as a highlight of T4E. I'd rather eat a Milkbone than hear it again.

Natural Science: maybe if it was about a knight and a dragon I wouldn't fall asleep to the lapping water of its opening. Science = Boring!

BU2B2: the link song to end all link songs, or so the sheeple would have me brought up to.. uh, believe.

Free Will: Oh great, another exersise in self indulgence and another Neil hates God rant. Spare me, oh Faithless.

Eh, that's all for now. :huh:

Natural Science: maybe if it was about a knight and a dragon I wouldn't fall asleep to the lapping water of its opening. Science = Boring!

Free Will: Oh great, another exersise in self indulgence and another Neil hates God rant. Spare me, oh Faithless.

:o :o

1. The Garden

2. The Garden

3. The Garden

4. The Garden

5. The Garden

6. The Garden

7. The Garden

8. The Garden

9. The Garden

10. The Garden

:LOL: that was gonna be my exact response.

The garden is over-rated?? Where? The fans on here were praising it with stories of how it brought them to tears.. And how it should be a single.. But now it's over-rated? I've never even heard it on the radio once..

Problem is everyone has their own definition of "over-rated".