Top 5 (or 10) overrated Rush songs

tx_rush

This has probably been done before, and is sure to cause some arguements, but I was inspired by the top 10 underrated songs

(it doesnt mean I hate these songs, just overrated IMO)

Heres mine

Wheres my Things (my least favorite instrumental)

The wreckers (this song just doesnt connect for me)

Cygnus X-II Hemispheres (its awesome, I like Cygnus x-1 better)

Secret Touch (to me its just really messy, it could really enjoyable if it was cleaned up)

Mission

A Farewell to Kings. From embarrassing keyboards to a pedantic Neil at his sophomoric worst, I really don't get the adoration this song gets. Between the Wheels. Not a bad song, but for me far from the best track from P/G. Again, terrible use of keyboards. The Garden. Although a new track, it was almost immediately raised to "Stairway to Heaven" status. Not terrible, but far from great. Cygnus, Books I & II. Fun musically, but lyrically and vocally, this is the stuff that kept RUSH out of the Hall for so long, and why so many HATE RUSH.

By Tor and Snow Dog: never did it for me other than instrumentation

Working Man: good jam but way over-rated and too long

2112 side one: yes it has some killer parts but they are linked by some mediocre parts(rarely listen to it)

Animate: not even close to my fav on CP and seems to drag live

Hope: love Alex instrumentals but not so much this one(too Irish folk sounding)

This has probably been done before, and is sure to cause some arguements, but I was inspired by the top 10 underrated songs

(it doesnt mean I hate these songs, just overrated IMO)

Interesting topic... I'm sure it has been done, but I haven't seen it lately. Anyway, allow me to be the first to really get lynched:

The Garden (For me, the awesome Clockwork Angels ends with Wish Them Well)

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book 2 (Both good, but not as stellar as proclaimed here)

Secret Touch (For all the crap VT gets for its sound, it's ironic that the song that TRF seems to like best from it is the one that that to me (a VT fan) really does sound like a wall of noise during the verses)

Afterimage (I keep trying because I love the rest of p/g, and I still just don't get the love for this)

Force 10 (Solid up to the finish... and then those synth-drum hits just make me GAAAHHHH! :banghead: ) (P.S. : they keep putting this in the setlist (VT, R30, CA) instead of Show Don't Tell just once??)

Camera Eye (An 8 minute song dragged out to 10+ . Still entertaining but a step below the rest of MP)

Fountain Of Lamneth

Necromancer (The Deadly Duo from CoS. 30+ minutes of :oops: )

Those first 9 were pretty easy to think of, but a tenth was a real strain. I finally settled on:

Headlong Flight (Very good, lots of fun, but a thread proposing it as a top 5 Rush song ever is shooting for the moon and hitting Mars)

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay
  • Like 1

1) The Garden - this song gets so much love but it does nothing for me. Plus it doesn't help that I've always despised the saying "it is what it is". ;)

2) One Little Victory - the much-heralded "comeback" track after the band being on hiatus, but it's easily my least favorite track on VT. The only thing I really like on it is the opening drum salvo. Then I skip ahead, heh.

3) YYZ - I do like it, but it's far from being the most amazing instrumental track ever recorded in the history of popular music (that said, it should still have won a Grammy over the Police's "Behind My Camel", which is just dreadful filler.)

4) errmm... I can't think of anything else...

1. Anything off VT - hard to single anything out, but maybe Earthshine or Secret Touch or OLV because they're the most popular.

Also in no particular order:

Available Light - the song just isn't that great, and Geddy's falsetto (those two words should never go together) to sing the words "In the Available Light" make me cringe every time. For some reason people go gaga over this song.

The Camera Eye - I love all of MP, and this song has indeed grown on me a bit, but it's just not as genius as some make it out to be. The lyrics never particularly grabbed me, and essentially it's the same song twice. It's very cool, but it's the one song that keeps MP out of the top spot for me with Rush songs. Still a great song, but it's a bit overrated.

Driven - The best thing I can say about it is that it's easily the best song on T4E, but that isn't saying a lot. It's decent, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The Necromancer - The song is killed for me by the narration, and the lyrics aren't too hot either. It's a shame, as the music parts are awesome, but I just can't get past the narration.

Cygnus X-1 - I know it sounds like nitpicking, but the narration at the beginning and Geddy screaming at the very end bother me. It's too bad, as there's several minutes of greatness sandwiched in the middle, but those parts keep me from loving the song the way so many seem to.

Bravado - It's a decent song, but it's really nothing more than that.

Faithless - I disagree with this song philosophically, and it bothers me for that reason (I feel similarly about Ghost of a Chance, but that's clearly a better song if overrated for similar reasons). A lot of people site it as their favorite or almost favorite off S&A. I don't get it.

A Farewell to Kings. From embarrassing keyboards to a pedantic Neil at his sophomoric worst, I really don't get the adoration this song gets.

I actually this song is hideously UNDERRATED. Yes, it's generally thought of as a great song in Rush circles, but it's too often not thought of as the top 10 or top 15 song that it is. Just a brilliant, incredible track. The acoustic intro is beautiful and the whole song is just absolutely killer. :yes: :haz:

• Like 5

La Villa Strangiato

Far Cry

Dreamline

The Garden

Something for Nothing

Your entire post generates a hearty :wtf: from me.

Something For Nothing is great, but not quite in the league of all the other songs you mentioned. I think that song is a tad out of place on your list because it's not generally considered a great enough song to qualify as being overrated, but it's still a much better song that you obviously think it is.

• Like 1

5. Closer to the Heart

4. 2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

1. Tom (*chokes*) Sawyer (*gags*)

Honorable Mentions: Working Man, YYZ

• Like 1

The only songs mentioned on this thread that I agree with are OLV and Faithless. Though Faithess probably doesn't count as the only people who overrate it are in the band.

Off the top of my head:

Jacob's Ladder (good, but plodding and boring)

Witch Hunt (great lyrics, but plodding and boring)

Middletown Dreams

Stick it Out

7CoG (not sure it this counts)

A Farewell to Kings. From embarrassing keyboards to a pedantic Neil at his sophomoric worst, I really don't get the adoration this song gets. Between the Wheels. Not a bad song, but for me far from the best track from P/G. Again, terrible use of keyboards. The Garden. Although a new track, it was almost immediately raised to "Stairway to Heaven" status. Not terrible, but far from great. Cygnus, Books I & II. Fun musically, but lyrically and vocally, this is the stuff that kept RUSH out of the Hall for so long, and why so many HATE RUSH.

yeah they totally should've tried to sound like elvis Costello instead of playing epics.

• Like 1

I actually think the entire AFTK album (in Rush fan circles obviously, not to the general population) is overrated. Even the "hit" from this album, Closer to the Heart, is meh to me.

I don't think any rush tune is overrated, and the people naming la villa or Jacob's ladder....wtf's YOUR favorite rush tune? big money? good lord

I have too many favorites to name. But my favorite period is CoS to MP... I just think Jacob's Ladder is the weakest song on a great album. It's good, just not nearly as good to my ears as it is to most people's around here.

Off the top of my head:

Jacob's Ladder (good, but plodding and boring)

Witch Hunt (great lyrics, but plodding and boring)

Middletown Dreams

Stick it Out

7CoG (not sure it this counts)

ill give you stick it out, and I could see jacobs ladder. Which hunt is less than 5 mins, i dont know if you can call it plodding. Middletown dreams is awesome, not seeing that one

1. Anything off VT - hard to single anything out, but maybe Earthshine or Secret Touch or OLV because they're the most popular.

Also in no particular order:

Available Light - the song just isn't that great, and Geddy's falsetto (those two words should never go together) to sing the words "In the Available Light" make me cringe every time. For some reason people go gaga over this song.

The Camera Eye - I love all of MP, and this song has indeed grown on me a bit, but it's just not as genius as some make it out to be. The lyrics never particularly grabbed me, and essentially it's the same song twice. It's very cool, but it's the one song that keeps MP out of the top spot for me with Rush songs. Still a great song, but it's a bit overrated.

Driven - The best thing I can say about it is that it's easily the best song on T4E, but that isn't saying a lot. It's decent, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The Necromancer - The song is killed for me by the narration, and the lyrics aren't too hot either. It's a shame, as the music parts are awesome, but I just can't get past the narration.

Cygnus X-1 - I know it sounds like nitpicking, but the narration at the beginning and Geddy screaming at the very end bother me. It's too bad, as there's several minutes of greatness sandwiched in the middle, but those parts keep me from loving the song the way so many seem to.

Bravado - It's a decent song, but it's really nothing more than that.

Faithless - I disagree with this song philosophically, and it bothers me for that reason (I feel similarly about Ghost of a Chance, but that's clearly a better song if overrated for similar reasons). A lot of people site it as their favorite or almost favorite off S&A. I don't get it.

Faithless - Yes, 100% agree

Bravado - Yes, 90% agree (good song, but not great)

Cygnus X-1 - nope, its fantastic

Driven - yes 100% agree

Necromancer - nope, I agree the narration is tacky, but dosent make the song bad

The Camera Eye - 50% agree. The lyrics arent that profound I agree, but this song to me is more like a painting, all about imagery and feel, I love it, but agree it doesnt blow me away

Available Light - Heck no, this song rocks, it flows and builds up so well, lyrics are really good too