Another example of the negative aspects of being online...

coventry

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/8927029/The-worlds-most-overrated-drummer

He's entitled to his opinions, myopic as they may be. My reply to the Rushisaband fb post about this:

"Idk; no one ever accused Neil of being a groovy, jazz pocket drummer. As a thirty-year Rush devotee, I've come to accept his brilliance and his shortcomings. Im not sure his inability to "groove" is necessarily a shortcoming; after all, Rush's music isn;t in the groove category, but there are many (i.e. al) groove-based drummers out there who could never pull off the technical proficiency and.more important, the percussion creativity that Neil's shown in his career."

• Like 2

I scanned till I got to " I'm baffled - to this day - that so many drummers love Neil Peart. That so many Rush fans...er, exist."

Lol, it,'s just a hate piece writen by an orc from Middle Earth. No big woop.

• Like 6

Forget about agreeing or disagreeing on his opinion. My problem is with the author's ability (inability) to write. What is initially promised as a discussion of Neil being the most overrated drummer devolves into: geddy's voice (of course), Neil's lyrics, sci fi, "math" music, etc. The author isn't much of a writer and I don't know if they are a good drummer because, unlike Neil, I've never heard of him before. And he's a fuckhead.

The biggest thing that peeves me about this article is his continued complaint that he lacks groove. My Response: So What. Groove is not something required in music, it is merely an aspect that many people enjoy. Neil is being more musical by not succumbing to groove, or the popular choice, and exploring other ways to drum, and in his case that is technique and rhythmic proficiency, which are two very difficult things to pull off. It always pisses me off anytime someone says music is not good because they can't dance to it (etc.) because music is not specifically written for that all the time. People can say they don't enjoy it, but because they don't enjoy it does not make it bad.

I'm so pissed I'm laughing.

I almost considered signing up to that site just so I could post a comment.

Also I'd like to draw attention to Goober's comment.

"...I must sincerely wonder how you're able to type with your head shoved so far up your ass?..."

Just kidding, I don't have to sign up now. :laughing guy:

Edited by Retrospective

He has groove. Tell them to look up the RnR HoF video for Crossroads while the tapping is going on. Geddy and Neil LAY THE GROOVE DOWN.

Agreed.

Also the drum groove in Animate gets me every time. And in their 90's instrumentals. And...

Okay screw it, they're groovy. And when Neil plays his jazz section in his solos, he lays it down with zero effort. :cool:

We can't fault somebody for not liking our boys, sometimes people (like me) eventually come around. However, I think he's just another overtly opinionated twit trying to sound intelligent and looking for attention. Of course that is just my opinion.

:D

I pretty much agree with most of it. Any band responsible for Roll The Bones deserves all the shit it gets.

:laughing guy:

(See above) Edited by goose