Vapor Trails

GeddyLeeFender

Why is Vapor Trails considered a weaker album, production values aside? I believe that VT is just as strong as Clockwork Angels—and Geddy's vocals are outstanding in every track. Ghost Rider, Vapor Trails, Sweet Miracle, How it is, Ceiling Unlimited, Freeze—seriously this album is awesome! Why the hate? Edited by GeddyLeeFender
  • Like 6

Why the hate?

For the same reason that any other album is "hated". Different fans have different tastes and opinions. It's normal.

• Like 1

I think one reason is that it sounds like no album Rush did before or since. Rush has always evolved from one album to the next, but VT seemed like a mutation in the magnitude of its musical swerve: no keyboards, no guitar solos, guitars that frequently snarl rather than sing.. in other words, blame Alex :LOL:

BTW, for me Vapor Trails is a wonderful mutation, in my top 5 Rush albums. :haz: :rush:

LOVE Vapor Trails! I like what they did here, with regards to rawness, 'thick' songs lacking guitar solos, and chorused Geddys. (Or Geddies, still haven't decided on this...) The album certainly doesn't sound as, well, pristine as, say, Moving Pictures and earlier albums, where instruments are clearly separated, but this is an appeal to me, as something different. This album is quite lush sonically, like a steamy jungle full of sound.

Now I'm being shooed from the computer, so I will have to continue my words of love later!

I am with you GeddyLeeFender, I really like VT and find it very powerful. Those who dislike it say it is mixed way too hot or oversaturated. I find it fits the mood of the songs, very intense and strong. Given the material covered and it being their first album together after Neil's personal tragedies, it is an emotional group of songs, IMHO. Secret touch is my fav :rush: :haz:

While I don't listen to it these days, I can appreciate it qualities and it weaknesses. The qualities of course being the music, although it doesn't touch me as much as it has in the past, and probably will in the future. There is however something about the mastering I don't fancy. This is not typical of Rush, but typical of the whole music industry. It's called The Loudness War which basically means that the mastering engineers tries to make it sound as loud as possible without clipping. Some succeed while others don't.

The Loudness War is something that has to stop. Do you have an old cd at home? Better still, do you have an old cd and the same one as a remaster? Put them on and listen to the difference. To me it's quite obvious that cd not mastered hot (close to clipping and beyond etc.) have a more relaxed soundstage. It's not fatiguing to my ears and when I turn the music up it sort of blossoms.

Take a cd mastered way to hot, and I find myself turning more and more down because it's tiresome to listen to.

Just my two cents ;)

Why is Vapor Trails considered a weaker album, production values aside? I believe that VT is just as strong as Clockwork Angels—and Geddy's vocals are outstanding in every track. Ghost Rider, Vapor Trails, Sweet Miracle, How it is, Ceiling Unlimited, Freeze—seriously this album is awesome! Why the hate?

photo.jpg

• Like 1

Why is Vapor Trails considered a weaker album, production values aside? I believe that VT is just as strong as Clockwork Angels—and Geddy's vocals are outstanding in every track. Ghost Rider, Vapor Trails, Sweet Miracle, How it is, Ceiling Unlimited, Freeze—seriously this album is awesome! Why the hate?

photo.jpg

^^^ This is goober's way of saying, "All opinions are valid." ;) ;)

photo.jpg

I know that you are known for hating this album, but explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it. I know multiple people who love the song Ghost Rider, and do not even like Rush. Therefore, if you would get over being so picky about "production values" and actually listen to the music with an open mind you would find that this album is great. Or, you could continue to simply post a facepalm. Your choice.

Because rushgoober says so, that's why!

photo.jpg

I know that you are known for hating this album, but explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it. I know multiple people who love the song Ghost Rider, and do not even like Rush. Therefore, if you would get over being so picky about "production values" and actually listen to the music with an open mind you would find that this album is great. Or, you could continue to simply post a facepalm. Your choice.

We finally found the Bizarro rushgoober that likes Vapor Trails but just like goobs tells people what they should like and why. :rfl:

explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it.

sadly, this is the opinion of far too many rush fans. if you don't fit into ____ box, you're not a real rush fan. srsly, dude?

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. i first saw them live when you were negative nine. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

Edited by rushgoober

explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it.

sadly, this is the opinion of far too many rush fans. if you don't fit into ____ box, you're not a real rush fan. srsly, dude?

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

photo.jpg

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

photo.jpg

funny, but a person can be a real rush fan and hate this album. it's the only one i use that strong a word for. as amazed as some people are that i hate it, i've never been anything but completely astounded that anyone likes it. i know they had to overcome a lot to get back together and make this album, but it should have been thrown in the trash where it belonged, and they needed to start again from scratch. thank god for S&A and CA, because if they ended on that note, it would have been really sad. feedback was worlds better - it's covers, but at least it's listenable. VT is still an embarrassment to their legacy, and i don't know how they got so far gone that they thought it was fit to release, but at least they made up for it as much as anyone could.

Edited by rushgoober

Vapor Trails is an album full of phenomenal music. It is a triumph over some very bad times for the band, and a rebirth of new vigor. It demonstrates an ability to evolve with the times, adapt to new sounds, and to stay musically inventive over 30 years. Freeze might by my favorite track from Rush's entire catalogue, Ghost Rider bears some of their most intense emotional release, while Ceiling Unlimited and Out of the Cradle bring the high energy, joyous optimism of tone that Rush has always been known for.

Sadly, the recordings were damaged and improperly mixed- I very badly wish they would just re-record this album from scratch. But even still, it remains one of my top-2 or 3 favorite Rush albums.

• Like 1

I like Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Freeze and Nocturne. Can't stand the rest of the album though, with Peaceable Kingdom and Out of the Cradle being 2 of the worst songs they ever released.

photo.jpg

funny, but a person can be a real rush fan and hate this album. it's the only one i use that strong a word for. as amazed as some people are that i hate it, i've never been anything but completely astounded that anyone likes it. i know they had to overcome a lot to get back together and make this album, but it should have been thrown in the trash where it belonged, and they needed to start again from scratch. thank god for S&A and CA, because if they ended on that note, it would have been really sad. feedback was worlds better - it's covers, but at least it's listenable. VT is still an embarrassment to their legacy, and i don't know how they got so far gone that they thought it was fit to release, but at least they made up for it as much as anyone could.

People can be a REAL RUSH FAN and still like the album too goober. 2. Way. Street.

VT is Rush's Saint Anger, although I like 3 or 4 songs from it.

Huh, that's kind of interesting! I liken it to ...And Justice for All, as it's similar in the 'no guitar solos' thing. But I guess St. Anger is similar in that regard, as well, though it's rather maligned, so I guess it's an appropriate comparison after all.

photo.jpg

People can be a REAL RUSH FAN and still like the album too goober. 2. Way. Street.

I'm certainly very happy that this album didn't end up in the trash! I would have been deprived of 'Secret Touch', 'How It Is', 'Ghost Rider', 'Freeze', 'Ceiling Unlimited'... well, the whole dang album, though 'One Little Victory' ranks lowest for me, for some reason.

Hey, Goober, do you ever watch the Snakes and Arrows live concert? Do you ever watch 'Secret Touch'? I think it's amazing on this show, and brings it up to a new level. I think the sound would be better from this show than the album, for those that don't like the mastering, too.

Anyway, we all have our likes and dislikes, our favourites and not-so-favourites, and I'm just happy that I enjoy Vapor Trails, and am sad that the general dislike for it has caught the attention of the Rush boys. Bad mastering or not, this is, to my ears, a very good album, with lush-sounding songs and a rawness that is unique to this album. I think the songs are crafted well, and still get goosebumps when a VT song randomly pops up on my ipod.

'How It Is', BTW, is one of my top-three dream concert songs. I know that it will never get played, but it's one of those songs that has resonated so deeply with me that I keep the flame of hope alight. I would have a very intense fan-girl moment should this song get played, which may involve wetting of pants or some other act of unbridled excitement and embarrassment.

• Like 1