Vapor Trails

GeddyLeeFender

So this thread has become another Goobs one-man-show, hasn't it?

I thought the thread title was an open invitation for me?

But not true, plenty of others are chiming in; people who think I'm crazy or annoying, people who actually LIKE the album ( :wtf: ), etc. :P

Now Sound wise, the newly remastered version on ITunes is clearly much better.

Are the iTunes files the same as the ones from HDTracks? According to DRDatabase, the dynamic range isn't much improved on those. From what I heard, they'll never cure the clipping since that's in the original mix (so said Geddy in an interview), but I'm sure that remixing and remastering can make a lot of difference, as in the Retrospectives versions of Earthshine and One Little Victory. Thanks for the youtube link!

I do hear a lot of parts I never heard before! :codger:

• Like 1

Vapor Trails is not a top Rush album for me, but there are some quality songs on there. Namely:

Earthshine (one of their best), Secret Touch (amazing live), OLV, Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle...all very good.

Also, the Vapor Trails tour was tremendous, possibly my favorite post TFE tour overall.

When they played Earthshine live, I about jumped out of my shoes! :laughing guy:

I was hoping and praying that they would play such a magnificent song. Alex's live solo ROCKS.... :haz:

In another thread I was told that Earthshine wasn't that good and that it doesn't excite audiences (despite the fact that it juiced up every audience that I was with anytime it was played)

It isn't that good and every time I saw them play it and I wasn't in the first 20 rows, the audience just died.

Congratulations. The audience you saw it with is lame. Even though you don't like the song I think you would've been pleased (at least somewhat) if the crowd went nuts.

I've seen OLV in concert 8 times on the S&A tour, 6 times from places not in the front 15 rows. Each of those 6 times it was the first song in the encore, and it was the least energy I've ever felt at a Rush concert encore. Twice (Jones Beach and Holmdel), a bunch of people left the concert. Crazy, as Bangkok and YYZ were coming, but true, nonetheless.

I saw them 5 times on the R30 tour, and each time I wasn't in the front. At Radio City the crowd was good, but at the other places the crowd was not excited at all about Earthshine. In fact, the crowd deflated for the first time since the raucous beginning. Even on the R30 video, Geddy gives his speech and then introduces the next song, which usually gets a roar regardless of what it is. On the video, almost no one is waving their arms and bouncing around, which is the first time that happens all concert.

I love VT, but they chose 2 of the weakest songs to represent the album. Ghost Rider, Secret Touch and Ceiling Unlimited (or How it Is or Sweet Miracle) represent the album and the band much better

The lack of excitement at the gigs you saw are unconnected to the gigs I saw where they DID go apeshit. Both of those times I was nowhere near the front...1st gig I was one level up from the floor dead center; the 2nd time I was in the 2nd or 3rd section up on Geddy's side (read as: mediocre to bad seats at best). My gigs have no bearing on yours and vice versa so I don't know what more you want to say.

Every time I saw them in my hometown years ago (Signals-Counterparts), the crowd was NOT that into it. But change to another venue and it's a totally different thang

Vapor Trails is not a top Rush album for me, but there are some quality songs on there. Namely:

Earthshine (one of their best), Secret Touch (amazing live), OLV, Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle...all very good.

Also, the Vapor Trails tour was tremendous, possibly my favorite post TFE tour overall.

When they played Earthshine live, I about jumped out of my shoes! :laughing guy:

I was hoping and praying that they would play such a magnificent song. Alex's live solo ROCKS.... :haz:

In another thread I was told that Earthshine wasn't that good and that it doesn't excite audiences (despite the fact that it juiced up every audience that I was with anytime it was played)

It isn't that good and every time I saw them play it and I wasn't in the first 20 rows, the audience just died.

Congratulations. The audience you saw it with is lame. Even though you don't like the song I think you would've been pleased (at least somewhat) if the crowd went nuts.

I've seen OLV in concert 8 times on the S&A tour, 6 times from places not in the front 15 rows. Each of those 6 times it was the first song in the encore, and it was the least energy I've ever felt at a Rush concert encore. Twice (Jones Beach and Holmdel), a bunch of people left the concert. Crazy, as Bangkok and YYZ were coming, but true, nonetheless.

I saw them 5 times on the R30 tour, and each time I wasn't in the front. At Radio City the crowd was good, but at the other places the crowd was not excited at all about Earthshine. In fact, the crowd deflated for the first time since the raucous beginning. Even on the R30 video, Geddy gives his speech and then introduces the next song, which usually gets a roar regardless of what it is. On the video, almost no one is waving their arms and bouncing around, which is the first time that happens all concert.

I love VT, but they chose 2 of the weakest songs to represent the album. Ghost Rider, Secret Touch and Ceiling Unlimited (or How it Is or Sweet Miracle) represent the album and the band much better

The lack of excitement at the gigs you saw are unconnected to the gigs I saw where they DID go apeshit. Both of those times I was nowhere near the front...1st gig I was one level up from the floor dead center; the 2nd time I was in the 2nd or 3rd section up on Geddy's side (read as: mediocre to bad seats at best). My gigs have no bearing on yours and vice versa so I don't know what more you want to say.

Every time I saw them in my hometown years ago (Signals-Counterparts), the crowd was NOT that into it. But change to another venue and it's a totally different thang

True enough. And I saw them a couple times at Jones Beach where the crowds are usually deader than other places.

I say just because a group of people have an opinion about something doesnt make them right.

Exactly. Opinions are not facts. When it comes to "liking" or "disliking" a piece of music, or film, or a piece of artwork, there is no right answer. It's just subjective opinion. Those who think their opinions are facts are either really stupid or mentally ill. :LOL:

i don't generally think my opinions are facts. just in this case in particular. ;)

Then you're either really stupid or mentally ill. Or both.

or maybe i'm just right. :P

I vote for mentally ill but stupid is a close second...senile is another possibility! :nya nya:

I do hear a lot of parts I never heard before! :codger:

Thanks, I'll save up to get those then, as I did like the remixes on Retrospectives. The Youtube link you posted definitely sounds different, but it's hard to get a true appreciation since it's a lossy recording, and I was listening through my PC.

• Like 1

8 years of listening to the hippie prattle on about VT never gets tiring.

NEVER.

akin to a Yoko Ono vocal performance

i'd actually rather listen to a solo yoko ono (try saying that five times fast) album than VT.

ok, i just typed that because i thought it sounded fun, but.... i really actually would!

• Like 1

I view each Rush album like one of my kids. I love each one of them, but for different reasons. Some are similar, but each one is unique. And each one has its gems, VT included. That is why I don't understand how anyone can hate a Rush album. I love ya Goobs, but you leave me scratching my head. One Little Victory, Earthshine, Nocturne, Freeze...damn good stuff right there. :haz:
  • Like 3

I view each Rush album like one of my kids. I love each one of them, but for different reasons. Some are similar, but each one is unique. And each one has its gems, VT included. That is why I don't understand how anyone can hate a Rush album. I love ya Goobs, but you leave me scratching my head. One Little Victory, Earthshine, Nocturne, Freeze...damn good stuff right there. :haz:

I DO like your analogy of "one of my kids", but based on that criteria, I would have to also love Genesis' "Calling All Stations" and The Rolling Stones' "Dirty Work". I simply cannot do that.

Maybe "hate" is a bit of a strong word. "Extremely disappointed" might be a better description for me. I'm also a forgiving person, though. I've always admired Rush for "changing things up" and being "experimental", but VT just didn't cut it for me. I also take into account the personal circumstances during the making of the record.

Clem

NEVER.

i'd actually rather listen to a solo yoko ono (try saying that five times fast) album than VT.

ok, i just typed that because i thought it sounded fun, but.... i really actually would!

That statement removes any doubt as to whether or not anyone should take this seriously.

• Like 4

NEVER.

That statement removes any doubt as to whether or not anyone should take this seriously.

:LOL:

Hey, people are free to look at things however they want to, but that's actually a sincere statement! Of course my choice would be neither, but if someone was holding a gun to my head... Yoko. :unsure:

NEVER.

Hey, people are free to look at things however they want to, but that's actually a sincere statement! Of course my choice would be neither, but if someone was holding a gun to my head... Yoko. :unsure:

I'm not surprised. You'd probably rather have a microphone under a pachyderm's sphincter as it's taking a steamer (aka a Yoko Ono vocal performance) and listen to that than listen to VT.

NEVER.

I'm not surprised. You'd probably rather have a microphone under a pachyderm's sphincter as it's taking a steamer (aka a Yoko Ono vocal performance) and listen to that than listen to VT.

Actually he'd rather do that than listen to his favourite 70's kraut prog! :16ton:

NEVER.

ewww

But you gotta admit, if you compare Rush unfavorably to an Ono vocal performance, you're just taking a piss.

Just that one album. My 2nd least favorite Rush album is T4E - I think it's very weak, it has no standout tracks, it has no songs I really want to listen to and some of the songs have bad lyrics, but I wouldn't say I hate it or anything. I'll put it maybe once very couple of years just for s&g. Still, T4E is a masterpiece next to VT.

NEVER.

This statement means he wants to agree but has too many years invested in shitting on vapor trails and can't back down now.

NEVER.

This statement means he wants to agree but has too many years invested in shitting on vapor trails and can't back down now.

The thought of having to suffer/sludge through VT ever again: dread and despair - horrible songs cloaked in horrendous sound quality and the always crushing disappointment of hearing a "BAD" Rush album.

The thought of having to suffer/sludge through a Yoko Ono album: dread, but at least the pain will be the emotional pain from her singing, not the physical pain from the clipping... and at least it'd be something new... :unsure:

But you gotta admit, if you compare Rush unfavorably to an Ono vocal performance, you're just taking a piss.

Just that one album. My 2nd least favorite Rush album is T4E - I think it's very weak, it has no standout tracks, it has no songs I really want to listen to and some of the songs have bad lyrics, but I wouldn't say I hate it or anything. I'll put it maybe once very couple of years just for s&g. Still, T4E is a masterpiece next to VT.

No Stand out Songs? Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo, Half the World! What are these, Chop liver? :huh:

No Stand out Songs? Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo, Half the World! What are these, Chop liver? :huh:

The best song by a slight margin is Driven, but even that one I never want to listen to. Yeah, no standout songs for me. Mediocre at best, mediocre songs with weak lyrics at worst.

• Like 1