Spin article bashes Rush fans at the RRHOF ceremony

laughedatbytime

Public Enemy may not have crashing guitars but their music is as heavy and visceral as any rock band. In the grand scheme of things they qualify on many levels not least their enormous cultural impact and genre-defining. They are brilliant at what they do, they have integrity and they are anti-establishment.

And they are far more deserving than Rush.

great post. i might argue a little over the more deserving part but the rest is pretty much spot on and i do think in the biger picture they have been more influential on modern music. however, rush has been far more consistent over the years and to me PE best work are the first four discs, after that i lost interest.

on the first disc they had Vernon Reid ( living colour ) play guitar, they sampled Slayer on their second disc among many others and by disc four they were recording and the touring performing with anthrax.

I agree about their first 4 albums, after that they pretty much had little to rail against.

Public Enemy, NWA, Biggie and Tupac were real artists with important things to say. Pity about the gang culture but ultimately that's what fired their craft.

right on, i never got into Biggie but agree about the rest. Tupacs first two discs 2pacolaypse now and Strictly 4 My Nii##az are good records and to me surprisingly sensitive at time. Brendas Got a Baby and Part-time Mutha are heartbreaking.

I used to listen to PE all the time, I still like them. That article was hilarious- some highlights for me were the dudes tearing off their shirts and slapping high fives, the whole audience being compared to the characters from 'I love you man' and saying that this is heaven on earth for a Rush fan haha.

Public Enemy may not have crashing guitars but their music is as heavy and visceral as any rock band. In the grand scheme of things they qualify on many levels not least their enormous cultural impact and genre-defining. They are brilliant at what they do, they have integrity and they are anti-establishment.

great post. i might argue a little over the more deserving part but the rest is pretty much spot on and i do think in the biger picture they have been more influential on modern music. however, rush has been far more consistent over the years and to me PE best work are the first four discs, after that i lost interest.

on the first disc they had Vernon Reid ( living colour ) play guitar, they sampled Slayer on their second disc among many others and by disc four they were recording and the touring performing with anthrax.

I agree about their first 4 albums, after that they pretty much had little to rail against.

Public Enemy, NWA, Biggie and Tupac were real artists with important things to say. Pity about the gang culture but ultimately that's what fired their craft.

I'd add Wu-Tang and Outkaast to that mix as well. Plus, there were lesser known ones that got cult followings like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and KRS-One.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

From the OP

Merch lines were almost as long as the band's guitar solos.

If there is one thing that pisses me off about magazine articles from rags like Spin and Rolling Stone when they criticize groups like Rush and Yes, it is this. How many times have we heard those douches absolutely bemoan the 5 minute guitar or keyboard solo? And here again, this jackass is poking fun at the same thing. But he then goes on to talk about how boring John Mayer et al. were when playing the Albert King songs, in no small part because the guitar solos were so long.

Guess what, dickhead, it's the f***ing blues, and the guitar solos tend to get pretty f***ing long. I defy anyone to find me a a guitar solo that Alex has done, in the studio or live, that is longer than SRV's Texas Flood from El Mocambo, or longer than John Mayer's solo from Out of My Mind.

The one thing the guy did say that cracked me up was that John Mayer is the Lisa Simpson of the blues.

But overall, the guy is just a bully. He called Rush fans nerds, and mocked their happiness and enthusiasm for their favorite band. He's probably a f***ing hipster who uses all of his energy trying to pretend he's absolutely bored out of his mind while watching his favorite band because, even though they are his favorite, he's way too cool to actually get all wrapped up in anything like that. So when Rush fans put on an open display, he's got to mock it, so as not to appear to approve of it.

And he was only one Hemispheres reference away from mention all of Rush's side long epics. Maybe he doesn't even know the album exists.

And if anyone got mad because the 80% of people who were there who were Rush fans wouldn't be quiet, then maybe they should not have inducted Rush last on the evening. Maybe the last spot is a special one, I don't know. But if they had inducted Rush first, that place would have emptied out faster than a bag of Cheetos at a pot party.

• Like 2

Some things never change. The antagonist Tony instigating the crowd being one of them.....my first time to sign on in months and in the first thread....BAM! Well played Tony, well played

The article was funny, truthful, and clearly bitter. The Rush fans dominated the audience and the show. They WERE the story. I can see how that would be a bit of a bummer for the other artists.

I wasn't there, but the more I read and hear about it, the more it sounds like all the other artists were the opening acts for Rush, who were the main event. It was Rush Rush Rush all night and everyone, including Chuck D, were singing their praises and this douche is obviously not a fan and wanted to bash the fans and the atmosphere they created as a result.

Some things never change. The antagonist Tony instigating the crowd being one of them.....my first time to sign on in months and in the first thread....BAM! Well played Tony, well played

Umm, what are you talking about?

Public Enemy are far more musically and culturally significant than Rush. Fact.

If everyone here declares that the Earth is flat, am I being antagonistic by correcting them?

Leave that thing, whatever it is you're on, alone!

I don't see anything that Tony posted as being instigative. And actually, there's nothing in there that I can find that's even remotely radical. Public Enemy's massive influence on popular music is undeniable. I'm not a Public Enemy fan but a fact's a fact from Rome to Nome boy.

"If you aren't into Rush, the speech is basically like Homer Simpson describing the merits of Grand Funk Railroad"

Grohl talked about Rush as a fan and for the fans who always considered themselves like a secret community! That makes his speech so good

I don't see anything that Tony posted as being instigative. And actually, there's nothing in there that I can find that's even remotely radical. Public Enemy's massive influence on popular music is undeniable. I'm not a Public Enemy fan but a fact's a fact from Rome to Nome boy.

Going to a Rush fan forum, where the majority obviously do not like rap OR Public Enemy and many of us question it's musicianship, and saying they are far more deserving than Rush of being in the Hall? And now you're stating it like it was 100% fact like the Earth not being flat? You're right, nothing antagonizing there :laughing guy:

Yeah, the article was digging at Rush fans, but in an entertaining way. My favorite line of the article:

"If you aren't into Rush, the speech is basically like Homer Simpson describing the merits of Grand Funk Railroad. If you are into Rush, this is a validation of your life."

Nice! :haz: :LOL:

Yeah I agree, I don't think it was that much of a Bashing other than an observation.

:codger:

If everyone here declares that the Earth is flat, am I being antagonistic by correcting them?

It figures that TonyR would have created this post!

:facepalm: :sigh:

I would say PE is more significant to the rap/hip hop genre. It's the same with Rush and rock. Which one is more influential to the culture of music, in general, could be debatable and could be argued for decades.

The article was funny, truthful, and clearly bitter. The Rush fans dominated the audience and the show. They WERE the story. I can see how that would be a bit of a bummer for the other artists.

I wasn't there, but the more I read and hear about it, the more it sounds like all the other artists were the opening acts for Rush, who were the main event.

That's exactly what the evening was to me. Rush were the headliner, and everyone else went first because they were less important. It may have been a bummer for the other artists, but they all had control over their own destinies just like Rush did. If they had a problem with being less interesting to the room, maybe they should have made some better music and brought more fans with them.

The article wasn't well-written or funny enough to have any tongue-in-cheek value to me. It's just stupid.

The writer in Spin didn't even get his facts right. Carole King sang "So Far Away" and not "You've Got A Friend" from Tapestry. A very cool moment during a night that was full of them. And I totally agree that the heckling of Quincy Jones reflected very badly on Rush fans. Jones' comments were insightful and somewhat challenging. if long-winded. The hecklers should learn a bit more about musical history, and broaden their horizons somewhat. On the other hand, heckling the discordant ramblings of Flava Flav was spot on. Other than his surprisingly gracious but appropriate comments to Chuck D, Flav's stream of conscious "speech" was little more than self-promotion.

The writer in Spin didn't even get his facts right. Carole King sang "So Far Away" and not "You've Got A Friend" from Tapestry. A very cool moment during a night that was full of them. And I totally agree that the heckling of Quincy Jones reflected very badly on Rush fans. Jones' comments were insightful and somewhat challenging. if long-winded. The hecklers should learn a bit more about musical history, and broaden their horizons somewhat. On the other hand, heckling the discordant ramblings of Flava Flav was spot on. Other than his surprisingly gracious but appropriate comments to Chuck D, Flav's stream of conscious "speech" was little more than self-promotion.

Rather shot your good intentions in the foot at the end there friend. The message should be to respect all the artists giving speeches. There will have been many in attendance scratching their heads at Lifeson's own discordant ramblings

I would say PE is more significant to the rap/hip hop genre. It's the same with Rush and rock. Which one is more influential to the culture of music, in general, could be debatable and could be argued for decades.

I'm sorry but no it couldn't. It's not up for debate and to think so is just banal.

I'm sorry but no it couldn't. It's not up for debate and to think so is just banal.

PE fan got me listening to Rush. No joke.

I'd add Wu-Tang and Outkaast to that mix as well. Plus, there were lesser known ones that got cult followings like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and KRS-One.

first nas record too

From the OP

Merch lines were almost as long as the band's guitar solos.

If there is one thing that pisses me off about magazine articles from rags like Spin and Rolling Stone when they criticize groups like Rush and Yes, it is this. How many times have we heard those douches absolutely bemoan the 5 minute guitar or keyboard solo? And here again, this jackass is poking fun at the same thing. But he then goes on to talk about how boring John Mayer et al. were when playing the Albert King songs, in no small part because the guitar solos were so long.

Guess what, dickhead, it's the f***ing blues, and the guitar solos tend to get pretty f***ing long. I defy anyone to find me a a guitar solo that Alex has done, in the studio or live, that is longer than SRV's Texas Flood from El Mocambo, or longer than John Mayer's solo from Out of My Mind.

The one thing the guy did say that cracked me up was that John Mayer is the Lisa Simpson of the blues.

But overall, the guy is just a bully. He called Rush fans nerds, and mocked their happiness and enthusiasm for their favorite band. He's probably a f***ing hipster who uses all of his energy trying to pretend he's absolutely bored out of his mind while watching his favorite band because, even though they are his favorite, he's way too cool to actually get all wrapped up in anything like that. So when Rush fans put on an open display, he's got to mock it, so as not to appear to approve of it.

And he was only one Hemispheres reference away from mention all of Rush's side long epics. Maybe he doesn't even know the album exists.

And if anyone got mad because the 80% of people who were there who were Rush fans wouldn't be quiet, then maybe they should not have inducted Rush last on the evening. Maybe the last spot is a special one, I don't know. But if they had inducted Rush first, that place would have emptied out faster than a bag of Cheetos at a pot party.

the part about hipsters acting like they're not having fun is spot-on

I've seen dinosaur jr twice, trust me