Christian Bands

geddyforlife

I'm not a fan of Christian bands, but I do love some mainstream bands that are devout Christians, and you can hear it in some of their music. Check out Matthew Sweet, Flyleaf, and P.O.D.. :haz:

I'm not a fan of Christian bands, but I do love some mainstream bands that are devout Christians, and you can hear it in some of their music. Check out Matthew Sweet, Flyleaf, and P.O.D.. :haz:

Creed :puke:

Creed sucks. The artist I referenced don't. ;)

• Like 1

Creed is the only Christian stuff I listen to. I despise Christian music, not because I'm not Christian(I'm catholic) but because of my musical preferences.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Matthew Sweet. Saw him at Summerfest a couple years ago and was shocked... he looked quite different

http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/style620_413/public/field/image/111025-matthew-sweet-1.pnghttp://www.popentertainment.com/sweetDSC_0210.jpg

Never could get into Christian "rock". But then again I am from a liturgical tradition (Episcopalian, aka Anglicanism/Church of England/The Frozen Chosen), and like my church music to follow classical lines. I like being able to open a Hymnal and see the names of Bach, et al listed under "Original Composers".

If I opened church doors and saw a band setting up with guitars, drums, etc., I'd turn right around and go worship at iHop. One Sunday we had a New Orleans-style mass. I ended up in the parish hall with Rob Aaron, a good friend who also happens to be in the traditional choir AND sings with the Robert Shaw Singers/ASO. In other words, he feels even more strongly about traditional music and I was worried I might have to call 911 for him.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Matthew Sweet. Saw him at Summerfest a couple years ago and was shocked... he looked quite different

http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/style620_413/public/field/image/111025-matthew-sweet-1.pnghttp://www.popentertainment.com/sweetDSC_0210.jpg

Holy crap! :LOL:

I quite like Phil Keaggy, The 77s, The Lost Dogs, The Altar Boys, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Stryper, Jacob's Trouble, Big Tent Revival, Sixpence None the Richer, Third Day, Guardian, Steve Taylor, PFR, The O.C. Supertones and Delirious.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of right now.

Of course, my favourite Christian musician is Alice Cooper!

• Like 1

I am a Christian myself, but I am in sharp opposition of essentially every "Christian band" of today. Just can't stand the musicianship, the lack of lyrical depth (how can an atheist like Peart make a song more religious sounding that a modern Christian's repetition of 'I love you, you love me'?), and just the fact that the quality isn't there.

However, I do enjoy the music of House of Heroes as far as Christian bands.

I've had the opportunity to meet Phil Keaggy in August 2012 at a gospel blues festival nearby where I reside.

There's three old-school Christian music acts I enjoy, which I've listing below with a recommended recording from each.

(1993)

Phil Keaggy used to jam with Joe Walsh in the early days as they're both from Ohio here. Joe brings up jamming with Phil

. Phil's band Glass Harp opened for Yes and Traffic, and also recorded at Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland Studios.

(1974)

Michael Omatian played keyboards on the Steely Dan albums. His big break was producing Christopher Cross's 1979 self-titled debut album, which was a huge winner at the Grammy Awards the following year.

(1977)

Keith Green reminds me of a Christian 'Billy Joel' in a way with being a pianist and songwriter.

Edited by RushFanForever

Now THAT'S a thread bump! Only one I ever heard was Stryper. Although the last year I was in Utah, I used to see a tour bus go up and down the freeway all decked out for a band called Adam's Road. Turns out they're all a bunch of ex-Mormons. I'm guessing Adam's Road was I-15, because that's where I saw it all the time.

I've had the opportunity to meet Phil Keaggy in August 2012 at a gospel blues festival nearby where I reside.

There's three old-school Christian music acts I enjoy, which I've listing below with a recommended recording from each.

(1993)

Phil Keaggy used to jam with Joe Walsh in the early days as they're both from Ohio here. Joe brings up jamming with Phil

. Phil's band Glass Harp opened for Yes and Traffic, and also recorded at Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland Studios.

(1974)

Michael Omatian played keyboards on the Steely Dan albums. His big break was producing Christopher Cross's 1979 self-titled debut album, which was a huge winner at the Grammy Awards the following year.

(1977)

Keith Green reminds me of a Christian 'Billy Joel' in a way with being a pianist and songwriter.

I used to have Green's "So You Want To Go Back To Egypt" on vinyl.

Resurrection Band was my fav Christian Rock band

Edited by goose

You mean Michael Sweet...?

Right?

I'm not so sure Matthew is a Christian...

I remember accidentally tuning into a Christian FM station in the late 90s. - it was some epic christian rock song where jesus was locked in a cage match with the devil.

If anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, please post the song. It was the greatest thing ever recorded.

Kings X could loosely have been described as a Christian band in their earlier days.....

Pure genius band that seamlessly incorporated Christianity into prog-metal/rock. Doug Pinnick gave it the edge that made it so listenable.

I remember accidentally tuning into a Christian FM station in the late 90s. - it was some epic christian rock song where jesus was locked in a cage match with the devil.

If anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, please post the song. It was the greatest thing ever recorded.

Was it the band 'Petra'?

• Like 2

Switchfoot is actually a Christian band, but some of their material is actually quite mainstream and not preachy.

I never understood why people thought Creed was a Christian band? They don't make any more references to religion in their songs than the average metal band does. Was Black Sabbath a Christian band? Of course not but they had many lyrics about religion. Edited by J2112YYZ