"Tom Sawyer" boycott?

Disk98

Never seen them in concert... Know that the song would sound like my iPod

DROPPED

You are surely missing out! You can't be serious about TS?? Considering live :rush: to your Ipod? ;)

I started getting over hearing Tom Sawyer at every show - instead, I use it as a time to watch the crowd. Watch the first timers - see the joy on people's faces as they air drum, play air guitar, etc.

I started enjoying it again!

• Like 1

I started getting over hearing Tom Sawyer at every show - instead, I use it as a time to watch the crowd. Watch the first timers - see the joy on people's faces as they air drum, play air guitar, etc.

I started enjoying it again!

Great idea man. Think I'll do the same this time around.

I hate this song when I hear it on the radio but when I saw it live I almost died. It was amazing.

"Hate it"? You're on acid. It's not like it's You Bet Your Life or something else hate-worthy

It's an amazing song live but it's been overplayed on the radio to the point that it makes me sick. It gets played at least 4 times a day here.

Edited by billybobjoe1881

I hate this song when I hear it on the radio but when I saw it live I almost died. It was amazing.

"Hate it"? You're on acid. It's not like it's You Bet Your Life or something else hate-worthy

It's an amazing song live but it's been overplayed on the radio to the point that it makes me sick. It gets played at least 4 times a day here.

Turn off the radio or change the station. Or would you rather be in my situation where absolutely no Rush is EVER played?

• Like 1

Turn off the radio or change the station. Or would you rather be in my situation where absolutely no Rush is EVER played?

Damn dude, where do you live? Deep South?

Even the Deep South, where I lived for years, plays Rush. I'm in the Far East.

• Like 1

Even the Deep South, where I lived for years, plays Rush. I'm in the Far East.

Ah, that makes more sense. CDs/MP3 Players/Satellite Radio/Internet Radio are good things.

I feel your pain. I think I am more sick of the fact that Tom Sawyer is Rush's calling card song, as I feel there are so many better and the general public should be more aware of them. Whenever TS plays on the radio I get a shot of "Hell Yes Rush" through me, before getting immediate whiplash thinking wait, it's only Tom Sawyer. That does not stop me from making a big deal out of it when there are other people in the car though. Thankfully I live in Canada where the law states that X amount of canadian content must be played on the air every day, so I get to hear alot more than just TS. Let's see the rarest I have heard would be Lakeside Park and Afterimage. On the topic of the live show, I don't think it should be cut because of the above statements about a fan's first show, but I would love to see it given a spot with less emphasis. Seriously from GUP to T4E (As well as S&A) TS always closed the show, and that must have gotten tiresomly repeditive for fans. At the very least I want to see it close the first set or a less significant spot would be awesome.

I'm tired of it but understand it's a staple( pad locked nailed with a rail road spike) of there live performance...

They can not and will not drop Tommy from the set list.

It just aint gonna happen.

Hasn't Geddy said that they love playing that song live, and will never get sick of it? :huh:

Yah its a bit overplayed - but in some ways (for some people) it is their "go to" song. Personally it takes me back to the 6th grade :) Then again, If I dont hear it live, it won't make a difference to me. There are some songs I would like to see played more live too. What can you do?

If you don't like it, Start your own Band!! Just Sayin' !!!!!!!

OK for the people that have gotten so jaded over TS, here's a live version pre Moving Pictures

A couple things stand out:

Neil's having a tough time keeping a consistent rhythm. He starts out really fast and then probably thinks...oh crap too fast...I will explode if I don't slow down.

Alex's solo totally effin shreds on this...I much prefer this to the studio version (which is one of his easier solos to play...yes I play guitar).

Last thought....as much whining about set lists as there already is...could you imagine the beeching and moaning if they pulled TS? Arenas would probably be set on fire.

I especially love it as the opener for the VT tour - fantastic choice for their comeback tour.

It's their signature tune - anyone who is really, truly upset by having to endure Tom Sawyer in concert really needs to do some re-evaluating.

• Like 1

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

No my answer is no.

New generations of Rush fans should be able to get "sick" of Tom Sawyer too. My 8 year old son loves it and can't wait to hear it and air drum the magnificent mini drum solo after the guitar solo.....so glad Rush manages to give all their fans regardless of age what they want every show.

Selfish old time hard core fans....ha ha ha LOL. :codger:

How dare us make demands when the band continues to give us.....new music!!!! New tours......for the love of.....ahh forget it.

Rush is in less that 2 weeks!!!!!!!

YEAH BABY!!!!!

• Like 2