"Tom Sawyer" boycott?

Disk98

Stupid topic. Your basing your assumptions on the fact that everybody's seen Rush live more than once. The upcoming CA show in Sheffield is my first show and first time fans want to hear songs like Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, not everybody's a veteran concert goer. I would be PISSED off if they omitted Tom Sawyer from their set, but it looks like they aren't which is good. And as someone else has stated it's not much to set aside 5 minutes out of a 3 hour set to play one of their staples. Hell most bands these days revel in their past, they play nothing but hits, but Rush do not. I do not think it is unreasonable to devote 5 minutes to one of their biggest and well known hits.
  • Like 2

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

No my answer is no.

New generations of Rush fans should be able to get "sick" of Tom Sawyer too. My 8 year old son loves it and can't wait to hear it and air drum the magnificent mini drum solo after the guitar solo.....so glad Rush manages to give all their fans regardless of age what they want every show.

Selfish old time hard core fans....ha ha ha LOL. :codger:

How dare us make demands when the band continues to give us.....new music!!!! New tours......for the love of.....ahh forget it.

Rush is in less that 2 weeks!!!!!!!

YEAH BABY!!!!!

10 Days Away!

:dweez: :chickendance: :atickhum: :7up: :haz: :ebert: :clap: :cheers: :madra:

Stupid topic. Your basing your assumptions on the fact that everybody's seen Rush live more than once. The upcoming CA show in Sheffield is my first show and first time fans want to hear songs like Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, not everybody's a veteran concert goer. I would be PISSED off if they omitted Tom Sawyer from their set, but it looks like they aren't which is good. And as someone else has stated it's not much to set aside 5 minutes out of a 3 hour set to play one of their staples. Hell most bands these days revel in their past, they play nothing but hits, but Rush do not. I do not think it is unreasonable to devote 5 minutes to one of their biggest and well known hits.

Agreed, as long as they are doing the "Evening with RUSH" format I believe they should always include these songs:

Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, YYZ, 2112 O/T/F, Freewill and Limelight!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

You know... for all of the people who DO NOT want to hear it live again, I can think of THOUSANDS of people that I stood in arenas with that went CRAZY and were so happy to sing, air drum, and just rock out to this song. I was standing next to a guy that said he was at his 46th Rush concert and he had no issue with it. So I think you guys can suck it up for the rest of us.
  • Like 1

You know... for all of the people who DO NOT want to hear it live again, I can think of THOUSANDS of people that I stood in arenas with that went CRAZY and were so happy to sing, air drum, and just rock out to this song. I was standing next to a guy that said he was at his 46th Rush concert and he had no issue with it. So I think you guys can suck it up for the rest of us.

Which is why I quietly sit down for the four and a half minutes while I wait for the rest of the set. (I've been to 40 shows myself.)

I hate this song when I hear it on the radio but when I saw it live I almost died. It was amazing.

"Hate it"? You're on acid. It's not like it's You Bet Your Life or something else hate-worthy

It's an amazing song live but it's been overplayed on the radio to the point that it makes me sick. It gets played at least 4 times a day here.

Turn off the radio or change the station. Or would you rather be in my situation where absolutely no Rush is EVER played?

Damn dude, where do you live? Deep South?

Even the Deep South, where I lived for years, plays Rush. I'm in the Far East.

Damn dude, where do you live? Deep South? :rfl: