The kind of person who hates the CA setlist

zappafrank

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 17 2012, 01:51 PM)
Look I'm a real big fan of the 80's and a hugh fan of Clockwork Angels. I was turned on to RUSH during the Keyboard era, Signals to be exact. So this setlist is a wet dream for me. However, I can also see the big picture and place myself in others people's shoes. To them this setlist is pretty one-sided. Excluding any CA newbies, they have completely ignored their 70's and post Roll the Bones fans. (I'm sure they are out there). Even I could have used some older or rarer stuff now that I'm familiar with there entire catalog. Just about everyone was expecting Jacobs Ladder or Xanadu this time around. Not only did they not get those but we didn't get anything from that era, nor anything from CP or VT. Everyone want to hear the songs from the era they fell in love with RUSH in and with such a vast catalog encompassing their career its becomes increasingly difficult to satisfy everyone. However, they could have at least provided some tunes from all eras in question.

70s's: Finding My Way, Fly By Night, Xanadu, By-Tor & Snowdog, Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere (Prelude) La Villa, The Trees, Closer to the Heart,
Classic Era: Jacobs Ladder, Red Barchetta, Freewill or Limelight
80's: Overly represented
90's+00's Cut to the Chase, Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, One Little Victory, Driven, Test for Echo, Limbo
S&A and CA: Well Represented.

Basically a more well rounded setlist, Include everyone! They should always include every era in their setlist at least one to two songs. Thats why The Sankes and Arrows tour was well received. It contained songs from basically every era as did the Time Machine Tour. The current setlist moved away from that and it really left many asking "How about us?"

They could have chosen Xanadu instead of Working Man, Limelight Instead of Bravado, Jacobs Ladder instead of Territories and Cut to the Chase or Test for Echo instead of The Big Money. The People that are disappointed aren't disgruntaled. They just want a seat at the table. They want a piece of feast. This setlist, however appetizing, is all turkey without any sides. Everyone is hungry and everyone knows the restaurant is nearing its closing. Its great that the current changes including 2112 and The Spirit of Radio might become permanent. This is a big move in the right direction. Now if they could only switch out Red Sector A for Xanadu or Jacobs Ladder. People might just stop complaining...........Maybe?

unsure.gif

Most of the tours of the 2000's represented the 70's very well......Can't they represent the 80's this time around and of course the new CA???????

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 17 2012, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 17 2012, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 17 2012, 04:27 PM)
It's the Clockwork Windows tour!

ohmy.gif

You know there's something strange going on when there's the same amount of songs represented from Roll the Bones as Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves combined.

yes.gif ohmy.gif yes.gif

It's the Power Angels tour!

ohmy.gif

Maybe they'll sell kung fu power angel dolls as souvenirs?

Maybe they'll make a saturday morning cartoon out of them?

smile.gif

Maybe a lot of Power Windows and CA but they still changed up the end in Chicago with:

YYZ ,Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Overture, Temples and the Grand Finale.....

People are getting too worked up over the setlist.....I like all of the RUSH eras and while I was not A HUGE fan of the the mid to late 80's RUSH, I still like that era and can not complain of this setlist....

They wanted to apparently represent CA and why not? CA is terrific and want to hear it live so who cares if they play 9 songs?

But the perfect setlist that people want is not going to happen....Every tour since Vapor Trails had many old songs from the 70's...Did people miss this? Heck, my 1st concert was Grace Under Pressure and from that tour1984- until the 2000's I had never heard A Passage to Bangkok...They brought it back and there were many others I didn't hear from the moldy oldy era.....So I got my fill and this tour brings back some others I had not yet heard like Grand Designs, they never came to my town in the PW tour........

I have no issues with people complaining and I still remeber my 1st tour in 1984 when some of the older 70's RUSH fans were complaining in the bathrooms about not hearing enough of RUSH and Caress of Steel at the GUP tour....

So what has changed with fans? NOTHING!

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 17 2012, 06:30 PM)

ohmy.gif

You know there's something strange going on when there's the same amount of songs represented from Roll the Bones as Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves combined.

yes.gif ohmy.gif yes.gif

ohmy.gif

smile.gif

Maybe a lot of Power Windows and CA but they still changed up the end in Chicago with:

People are getting too worked up over the setlist.....I like all of the RUSH eras and while I was not A HUGE fan of the the mid to late 80's RUSH, I still like that era and can not complain of this setlist....

They wanted to apparently represent CA and why not? CA is terrific and want to hear it live so who cares if they play 9 songs?

But the perfect setlist that people want is not going to happen....Every tour since Vapor Trails had many old songs from the 70's...Did people miss this? Heck, my 1st concert was Grace Under Pressure and from that tour1984- until the 2000's I had never heard A Passage to Bangkok...They brought it back and there were many others I didn't hear from the moldy oldy era.....So I got my fill and this tour brings back some others I had not yet heard like Grand Designs, they never came to my town in the PW tour........

I have no issues with people complaining and I still remeber my 1st tour in 1984 when some of the older 70's RUSH fans were complaining in the bathrooms about not hearing enough of RUSH and Caress of Steel at the GUP tour....

You're the one getting worked up if anyone is by the look of this post...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 17 2012, 04:19 PM)
The Big Picture:

RUSH: ...........................1 .......Working Man (Perhaps Gone)
Fly By Night:.................0
Caress of Steel.............0
2112..............................1 ......2112 (Plus 2 extra parts)
A Farewell to Kings.......0
Hemispheres.................0
Permanent Waves.........1......The Spirit Of Radio

(No Wonder its in distress) 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Moving Pictures............2......Tom Sawyer, YYZ
Signals..........................2.......Subdivsions, The Analog Kid
Grace Under Pressure..2......The Body Electric, Red Sector A
Power Windows.............5......Big Money, Territories, Middletown Dreams, Grand Design, Mahattan Project
Hold Your Fire...............1......Force 10
Presto............................1......The Pass
Roll The Bones...............3......Bravado, Dreamline, Where's My Thing?
Counterparts..................0
Test for Echo..................0
Vapor Trails....................0
Snake and Arrows..........1.....Far Cry
Clockwork Angels...........10...All less BU2B & BU2B2

ohmy.gif Wow! Do you think there's a hidden message in the first 7 Albums fortelling their future appearances? sad.gif

Now do a setlist representation of every tour since Vapor Trails.....................................

Can't they change it up?

So they threw a curve, so?

Back in 1984 we didn't have the message boards to see the setlist 2 months in advance of them coming to our town unless we called a friend who lived in a certain town....In some ways these message boards are just here to piss and moan....

I would think people would like to just hear a RUSH concert at this stage of their careers in 2012....Talking about being severely spoiled brats????

Back in 1984 99% of us who went to the those tours did not think they would be still touring some 28 years later......I always thought when they came in town that could be the last we see of them.....

Enjoy the shows......How can you complain about these guys who are still touring?????? Look at the Beatles....I believe they quit touring after 1966 and their best stuff came afterwards........

We still have RUSH touring since 1974.......Just think who was still around in those days.....Rock Bands who were touring.....

This band had only one hiatis and there was a real reason for it....What are your people going to do when there are no more RUSH tours? Complain that the DVD's didn't have Making Memories on them??????

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 17 2012, 06:49 PM)
Back in 1984 99% of us who went to the those tours did not think they would be still touring some 28 years later......

I was reading over the Visions bio the other day and came to the part where in '84 or so Alex asked Bill B. (I still want to know what happened and why they had a falling out, though the book *is* very self-congratulatory on his part) how long he thought the band could go on, and Bill replied "At least another 10 years."

At least!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif th1245.gif

Edited by zappafrank

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 17 2012, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 17 2012, 06:30 PM)

ohmy.gif

yes.gif ohmy.gif yes.gif

ohmy.gif

smile.gif

You're the one getting worked up if anyone is by the look of this post...

tongue.gif

I am just amazed of the complaining....It is a RUSH concert, ENJOY!

I think people confuse being a fan of the band with being a fan of albums made by the band. I think there are people that are fans of just 4-5 albums but they fiercely believe they are as much as a fan of the band as the people that own all 20 studio records and appreciate all eras of the band.

IMO if you only like 4-5 abums then you are not a fan of the artist per se your actually just a fan of those albums that were made by the artist.

I think there's a huge difference but a lot of people dont think that way and think because they love 74-81 they are as big of fan as those who love 74-12. People that only like a few albums from the 70's need to realize that maybe they're not fans of the band they are just fans of those records. A fan of the artist is happy seeing the artist, a fan of 4-5 albums is only happy when they hear the songs of those 4-5 albums they are fans of. Huge difference!

Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 17 2012, 01:15 PM)
Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it.... along with all the setlist haters, I'm sure that is the common link.

As I read LIX's post, I recall a Krusty doll with a pull string. It was evil too. sad.gif Oh, no wait that was just a toggle switch setting on his back. We'll just flip it back to good. smile.gif

doh.gif

I can't say that the CA set is what I would have picked but just because I would choose different songs doesn't mean that I'm not still thrilled to see them here to play their music for an evening.

It's actually better that I have an idea before hand and spend some time warming up to what I will be hearing.

There are Rush songs I like and there are Rush songs I tend to skip over but in the end I just enjoy listening to whatever the guys decide to play. From one of Neil's recent interview's he states that he has just recently realized that they play more for themselves than for fans. Not that that is a nock against their fans but like most true artist they write and play what "they" like.

Since VT they have obliged Alex's taste for no synth's. I would bet my money on Alex offering to his best friend Geddy some payback to include allot of Geddy's favorite songs.

Just a thought, now let's tend to our garden's, ehh?

trink39.gif

Gotta throw in my $.02 here. I'm not a fan of the setlist for two reasons - first, I think they could have taken better advantage of the string section by playing a few songs they may *never* have the opportunity to play again, like Different Strings and Losing It. It would have been cool to hear them adapt Afterimage for strings, too. There's others I'm sure, but I'm just writing this off the top of my head.

Secondly, I do feel like I'm being hit over the head with their keyboard stuff, which is my least favorite era. Yes, there are songs I like from that time, just not as much as some of their songs from their early and recent periods. Truth be told, I'm really not much of a fan of 80's music in general - there was synth pop and hair metal, and it seemed like the bands that did carry over from the 70's completely sold out (Yes, Asia, Genesis / Phil Collins, Clapton, etc). So while I appreciate that Rush's songs from that time at least had some depth (unlike many of their peers), at that time in my life I wanted - no, NEEDED, Rush - not the Police! I started playing guitar because of Alex Lifeson, and it was painful to watch him all but disappear in the mix for all those years.

I'm sure they're doing this to give Geddy's voice a break, which I completely understand. It would have been nice to get an instrumental R30-type medley of early songs though, or even the R30 Overture itself, to throw the old fans a bone.

Hearing the Clockwork songs, esp The Garden (which, to me could arguably be their best song ever), will be worth the price of admission by itself, so I'm not complaining.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 17 2012, 06:17 PM)
Look I'm a real big fan of the 80's and a hugh fan of Clockwork Angels. I was turned on to RUSH during the Keyboard era, Signals to be exact. So this setlist is a wet dream for me. However, I can also see the big picture and place myself in others people's shoes. To them this setlist is pretty one-sided. Excluding any CA newbies, they have completely ignored their 70's and post Roll the Bones fans. (I'm sure they are out there).  Even I could have used some older or rarer stuff now that I'm  familiar with there entire catalog. Just about everyone was expecting Jacobs Ladder or Xanadu this time around. Not only did they not get those but we didn't get anything from that era, nor anything from CP or VT. Everyone want to hear the songs from the era they fell in love with RUSH in and with such a vast catalog encompassing their career its becomes increasingly difficult to satisfy everyone. However, they could have at least provided some tunes from all eras in question.

70s's: Finding My Way, Fly By Night, Xanadu, By-Tor & Snowdog, Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere (Prelude) La Villa, The Trees, Closer to the Heart,
90's+00's  Cut to the Chase, Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, One Little Victory, Driven, Test for Echo, Limbo

Basically a more well rounded setlist, Include everyone! They should always include every era in their setlist at least one to two songs. Thats why The Sankes and Arrows tour was well received. It contained songs from basically every era as did the Time Machine Tour. The current setlist moved away from that and it really left many asking "How about us?"

They could have chosen Xanadu instead of Working Man, Limelight Instead of Bravado, Jacobs Ladder instead of Territories and Cut to the Chase or Test for Echo instead of The Big Money. The People that are disappointed aren't disgruntaled. They just want a seat at the table.  They want a piece of feast. This setlist, however appetizing, is all turkey without any sides. Everyone is hungry and everyone knows the restaurant is nearing its closing. Its great that the current changes including 2112 and The Spirit of Radio might become permanent. This is a big move in the right direction. Now if they could only switch out Red Sector A for Xanadu or Jacobs Ladder. People might just stop complaining...........Maybe?

unsure.gif

Most of the tours of the 2000's represented the 70's very well......Can't they represent the 80's this time around and of course the new CA???????

Yes they can, and I welcome it being a keyboardist. Specially with CA, I actually want them to play the entire Album. I just feel they over did it with the 80's stuff in the first set and then again in the end of the second. There was room for some 70's stuff like Jacobs Ladder, Xanadu and La Villa and they opted against it. By the time the 2nd set gets to Red Sector A you want to hear something different not more 80's stuff. This would have been a great place for Jacobs Ladder followed by YYZ and then Xanadu. There recent change to 2112 as the closer is a great one. I'm sorry but you shouldn't mess with TSOR, TS or Limelight, Ever! Actaully they should replace Bravado with Limelight permanently. Bravado's tempo is to slow following The Analog kid! After Analog Kid you're pumped and you just want to rock. Even placing Bravado before Analog Kid would work!

cool.gif

QUOTE (Jackal624 @ Sep 17 2012, 10:45 PM)
at that time in my life I wanted - no, NEEDED, Rush - not the Police!  I started playing guitar because of Alex Lifeson, and it was painful to watch him all but disappear in the mix for all those years.

It's an exaggeration to say that Alex disappeared in the mix during the 80's. Those albums contained some of his most innovative and concise work, not to mention some awesome solos.

Alex may have been influenced by Andy Summers, but Rush hardly became The Police.

I think most of us would agree that the opportunity to see these guys live gets more precious every year (I think Clockwork will be my 10th show). At some point it's gonna end.

I was thinking about all the setlist hoopla (I personally can't wait to hear these songs) and I tried to put myself in the boys' shoes.

I think the point about Ged being able to do these songs justice vocally while not killing himself makes alot of sense.

What really strikes me though is that this could be the last time RUSH play some of these songs. Like ever. Perhaps it makes perfect sense that they wish to spend some time with these 'old friends' who they may not visit with again.

"A to B

Different degrees...

So much style without substance

So much stuff without style

It's hard to recognize the real thing

It comes along once in a while

Like a rare and precious metal beneath a ton of rock

It takes some time and trouble to separate from the stock

You sometimes have to listen to a lot of useless talk"

Edited by cavesofice

It is what it is, a show of hands part 2, with ca songs , I saw rush from 1984-1989, the synth era, this was their decline, imagine still doing a keyboard oriented album after hold your fire, that would have finished them off, grunge started about that time, rush would have went the route of many bands, we would be asking, do they play bars or state fairs, I saw the power windows tour, if they ad 2 more songs they will be playing the power windows tour. If rush said we are doing a synth tour with ca, how many empty seats there would be, I thought it was a odd setlist, but someone said it, it's their worst setlist, I saw rush in 1984, never heard fbn, cas, aftk, hem, or a lot of their first 7 albums, I saw them 9 times , never heard these songs, they are playing filler songs from their synth era, this is not the classic rush, not only new fans pissed off, but a lot of longtime fans, than playing 9 new songs after that first set, It's like your force feeding these songs down their throats, it's like to save the patient we had to kill him. mix up the 2 set, put some hits in between the ca set, rush is a band that can't think outside the box, this is not what you expect from a 40 year old band. will not be seeing this tour, I already saw show of hands tour, to bad I liked ca . wait till they do a greatest hits tour.

Look I'm a real big fan of the 80's and a hugh fan of Clockwork Angels. I was turned on to RUSH during the Keyboard era, Signals to be exact. So this setlist is a wet dream for me. However, I can also see the big picture and place myself in others people's shoes. To them this setlist is pretty one-sided. Excluding any CA newbies, they have completely ignored their 70's and post Roll the Bones fans. (I'm sure they are out there). Even I could have used some older or rarer stuff now that I'm familiar with there entire catalog. Just about everyone was expecting Jacobs Ladder or Xanadu this time around. Not only did they not get those but we didn't get anything from that era, nor anything from CP or VT. Everyone want to hear the songs from the era they fell in love with RUSH in and with such a vast catalog encompassing their career its becomes increasingly difficult to satisfy everyone. However, they could have at least provided some tunes from all eras in question.

90's+00's Cut to the Chase, Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, One Little Victory, Driven, Test for Echo, Limbo

They could have chosen Xanadu instead of Working Man, Limelight Instead of Bravado, Jacobs Ladder instead of Territories and Cut to the Chase or Test for Echo instead of The Big Money. The People that are disappointed aren't disgruntaled. They just want a seat at the table. They want a piece of feast. This setlist, however appetizing, is all turkey without any sides. Everyone is hungry and everyone knows the restaurant is nearing its closing. Its great that the current changes including 2112 and The Spirit of Radio might become permanent. This is a big move in the right direction. Now if they could only switch out Red Sector A for Xanadu or Jacobs Ladder. People might just stop complaining...........Maybe?

unsure.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 18 2012, 02:12 AM)

It might be opening up a can of worms here, but do you think it's possible to find a common link running through the people who are vehemently criticizing the current set list?

The common link is that those folks are Rush fans. A non-fan wouldn't have anything specific to complain about other than the general standby shit of "Geddy's voice is too high", "The only good song they've made is Tom Sawyer", "Their lyrics are all about sci-fi stuff", etc .

(edited to clarify: the folks that love the CA setlist are obviously Rush fans.)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Sep 18 2012, 03:04 AM)
this is not the classic rush, not only new fans pissed off, but a lot of longtime fans, than playing 9 new songs after that first set, It's like your force feeding these songs down their throats

forcefeeding?

I didn't see anyone tied up and being forcefed anything in Chicago - well except 10 dollar beers.

No, I saw a huge crowd of people having the time of their lives and giving Rush's new album perhaps the best reception of new material Ive ever seen.

The crowd loved the synth stuff - Subdivions is about as classic a song as they have. Body Electric? HUGE response.

And aside from some other obscure tracks, we got Big Money, Tom Saywer, Spirit of Radio and 2112 Overtutre, Temples and Grand finale. These aren't classic Rush songs?

You made a choice to look at the setlist and not go to the show. So don't.

Someone will gladly take your place.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 18 2012, 02:43 PM)
Since it's not "force feeding" would they have played something else had they been asked?

Semantic hairsplitting. Silly even for this thread.

Nobody is making someone buy a ticket to be forcefed synth era stuff...pretty sure everyone is buying tickets willfully.

Is that semantical?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 02:46 PM)
Since it's not "force feeding" would they have played something else had they been asked?

Nobody is making someone buy a ticket to be forcefed synth era stuff...pretty sure everyone is buying tickets willfully.

Is that semantical?

No, it's a non-sequitur.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 18 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 02:46 PM)

Is that semantical?

No, it's a non-sequitur.

I love latin

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 17 2012, 10:12 AM)
My reaction to people complaining about the set list: banghead.gif

It might be opening up a can of worms here, but do you think it's possible to find a common link running through the people who are vehemently criticizing the current set list?

I want to say that they're either people who really really like some Rush (but aren't die-hards) or die-hards who haven't had a chance to see Rush very often. Personally speaking, this was my 7th time seeing them since T4E, and all of the '80's stuff was a refreshing change of pace (and of course it helps that I love ALL eras of Rush).

To me, any person who claims to be a die-hard fan but completely disregards almost a decade's worth of material really doesn't like the band as much as he/she claims to. It reminds me of Beyond the Lighted Stage when that one guy (forget who... RAtM bass player?) talks about how he *was* a huge Rush fan till they started the synth era. IIRC, his contributions to the doc pretty much ended at that point. And fittingly so, since he had nothing to add to the discussion at that point.

That's what I think of when I see all these people bashing the set list. Clearly you're not a fan of that era, so quit acting like you're speaking for everybody, and know your role and shut your mouth! smile.gif This is the place for the TRUE fans - those are appreciate RUSH and not just "cool 70's prog rock" - to revel in the set list.

As for die-hards who haven't had a chance to see the band much, I'm much more forgiving and understanding of your reaction. The boys are getting up there in years, and who knows how much they have left. I saw Dream Theater on the Progressive Nation '08 tour, and they played mostly stuff I'd heard before, and it was extremely frustrating. But I didn't boo or b*tch about it b/c there were people around me who had never seen them before and were excited to see that stuff. Same with Symphony X the night after Rush: they played The Odyssey, a 25 min song I've already seen them do. I was like "aw man, not again," since I wanted lesser played stuff. But the guy next to me had never seen them and they are his favorite band, and he really wanted to see that. So again, I got into the groove of the song as to not take away *his* experience.

This tour is the reverse of that in a way. I think the die-hards are happy for a change of pace, but only if they have a bunch of the "left out" stuff stored up from shows past. Those who never have had a chance to take in the more accessible/prominent stuff that are more likely going to feel let down, and like I said, I'm much more sympathetic to their reaction than some old blow hard crying that "This is the 2112th time I've seen them and I want the same set list every time, dammit!!!"

You want the same set list, paint your face and go see Kiss.

(and for what it's worth, a couple in front of me *was* making everyone else share in their disdain, shouting "play 70's Rush!!!" over and over during Alex's intro the Halo Effect... not cool. Go stew in silent agony. smile.gif )

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/4ad27628-7f43-4524-9069-55557422d939-1.jpg

This thread is one of the 1, 476 reasons you can't be around here when Rush does Anything .