Current setlist maybe strong hint towards R40?

Gnoom

Absolutely ZERO tracks from 2112 on the Clockwork Angels Tour suggests Rush is purposely chilling their all-time classic for now...in order to bring it back in full form (all of side 1 anyway) for R40. This would also explain why certain other classics were omitted from the current tour...they're obviously saving the best for (not last, but) next.

That's how I'm reading into it, anyway. What say ye? Yea, or nay?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:40 AM)
This is going to be a world tour going through a good chunk of 2013. I can't possibly imagine they'll do another anniversary tour in 2014. I expect they'll take another extended break when this is done.

Exactly.

There may be an R40, but it won't be in 2014.

QUOTE (Gnoom @ Sep 8 2012, 12:22 AM)
Absolutely ZERO tracks from 2112 on the Clockwork Angels Tour suggests Rush is purposely chilling their all-time classic for now...in order to bring it back in full form (all of side 1 anyway) for R40. This would also explain why certain other classics were omitted from the current tour...they're obviously saving the best for (not last, but) next.

That's how I'm reading into it, anyway. What say ye? Yea, or nay?

Yep, thats what I'm thinking at this point! Question is when R40 would happen as some 2013 tour dates surely are still unconfirmed/unannounced? They will need a break in early 2014. Maybe in late 2014/early 2015??

2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ytserush @ Sep 8 2012, 02:44 AM)
This is going to be a world tour going through a good chunk of 2013. I can't possibly imagine they'll do another anniversary tour in 2014. I expect they'll take another extended break when this is done.

Exactly.

Then it won't be an R40 Tour.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 02:40 AM)

I disagree.

After this leg of the tour they can do the second in 2013 by adding dates to the Euro leg of the tour. They're taking 5 and a half months off between the shows in North America and Europe as it is. Tour through the summer into the early fall of 2013. Take another 6 or 8 months off and tour the rest of the 2014 with R40. It'll be a lot of work, but it can be done and then they can retire.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 8 2012, 04:35 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 02:40 AM)

I disagree.

After this leg of the tour they can do the second in 2013 by adding dates to the Euro leg of the tour. They're taking 5 and a half months off between the shows in North America and Europe as it is. Tour through the summer into the early fall of 2013. Take another 6 or 8 months off and tour the rest of the 2014 with R40. It'll be a lot of work, but it can be done and then they can retire.

That would make 3 out of 5 tours "retrospective" tours, anyway (R30, Time Machine, R40). That's just not going to happen. They aren't saving up for anything, as others have said they're taking things one step at a time. I'm sorry if people don't like the lack of 74-81 stuff but this is clearly a conscious choice to minimize it both for Geddy's voice and also just because it needs a rest. I mean, we just got a Time Machine tour dvd that's only around 9 months old with way too many standards, just watch that.

Can't cite the sources, but I've read two articles where they've mentioned going back into the studio as the next step. I'd rather see that than an R40. I wrote in another TRF thread that I'm not missing those same 'old songs. Not sure why they drew so much from Power Windows, but it's nice to hear some fresh stuff. I wonder if the set list isn't partly due to the fact that they just finished coming off tour - they must have been looking for some stuff that would seem like just another leg of that last tour?

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Sep 8 2012, 04:32 AM)
QUOTE (ytserush @ Sep 8 2012, 02:44 AM)

Exactly.

Then it won't be an R40 Tour.

An R41 tour? biggrin.gif

For a while I thought R40 was a definite possibility but now I'm not so sure. The boys are touring worldwide next year and celebrating R40 just another year after that seems like a lot for them to have on their plate. What's more likely is for 2014 to be a "rest year" and in early 2015 they'll drop another album and then focus on touring and celebrating 2112's 40th anniversary instead. Whatever the case, the next tour will have a LOT of 70s and 90s material! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Not R40, a farewell tour. Face it, while Geddy does sound great for his age and what he has to sing, sometimes it sounds like he's howling into the mic. They play like pros but look at how Tom Sawyer sounded in the Tom Sawyer sounded during the VT tour and how he sounded during the Time Machine tour. It's a HUGE difference and you can tell his voice deteriorated. The time machine tour was a hat tip to all of the new fans who haven't experienced the classics, this tour is doing to same to the more hardcore/synth crowd. IF they continue, they will take a break from touring and do a farewell of some sort and hang in the towel. Geddy mentioned in an interview how much harder it is to tour, they can't make an album without touring and since the S&A tour they've mentioned that they treat each tour like it's their last. Think about it. It sucks, and nobody wants to hear but you know how it goes: all good things...

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 8 2012, 09:32 AM)
Not R40, a farewell tour. Face it, while Geddy does sound great for his age and what he has to sing, sometimes it sounds like he's howling into the mic. They play like pros but look at how Tom Sawyer sounded in the Tom Sawyer sounded during the VT tour and how he sounded during the Time Machine tour. It's a HUGE difference and you can tell his voice deteriorated. The time machine tour was a hat tip to all of the new fans who haven't experienced the classics, this tour is doing to same to the more hardcore/synth crowd. IF they continue, they will take a break from touring and do a farewell of some sort and hang in the towel. Geddy mentioned in an interview how much harder it is to tour, they can't make an album without touring and since the S&A tour they've mentioned that they treat each tour like it's their last. Think about it. It sucks, and nobody wants to hear but you know how it goes: all good things...

Well, they will of course make whatever decisions they have to when they need to but what you described is certainly not the plan as of now considering Alex was already making references to "the next album" in the CA press. It's really just pointless to speculate since even they are just going one step at a time. We have a new album and opening night of the tour was last night and fans are already clamoring for what's next, gotta love the passion! laugh.gif

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:40 AM)

Well, they will of course make whatever decisions they have to when they need to but what you described is certainly not the plan as of now considering Alex was already making references to "the next album" in the CA press. It's really just pointless to speculate since even they are just going one step at a time. We have a new album and opening night of the tour was last night and fans are already clamoring for what's next, gotta love the passion! laugh.gif

I didn't know they were saying that in the press. Then again, Alex said it so I'll wait for Geddy to confirm before I react. What's next? We wait for them to play the venue each of us have tickets in. That one huge, painful wait....and I'm still waiting for those tickets to come in the mail. Musictoday didn't take this long the last 2 times.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 8 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:40 AM)

I didn't know they were saying that in the press. Then again, Alex said it so I'll wait for Geddy to confirm before I react. What's next? We wait for them to play the venue each of us have tickets in. That one huge, painful wait....and I'm still waiting for those tickets to come in the mail. Musictoday didn't take this long the last 2 times.

Well, like I said, that doesn't necessarily mean anything because it would be years before they even started working on a new album. I'm just saying that at least they're already speculating about the next album.

Here's the quote from late May:

Terry Brown produced your albums from Fly By Night right up to Signals. How does Nick compare in his approach to production with Terry Brown?

He`s very different and that was a very different time for the band and we made nine records with Terry and it was a great experience but we came to a point where we needed to stretch our wings. We get into the habit of getting comfortable with the people that we work with and that`s evidenced by the different producers we worked with. We went back to Peter Collins, who produced Power Windows and Hold Your Fire then we went back and did Counterparts. I think it`s important to get out and learn from working with other people. We really enjoy working with Nick but we`ll see where we are with our next record. We might work with Nick again; someone else or we might want to work on our own.[/

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?...terviews&id=991

Alex is the only one to specifically mention the next album but Geddy and Neil have both made statements in just the last few months about touring for many more years.

As I said, things could always change quickly based on events or circumstances, but they clearly don't feel they're at the end.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Sep 8 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 8 2012, 05:02 AM)
2112 in full? Yawn. Been there done that. It's an over-rated album anyway. Lets hear more stuff we haven't heard before.

Agreed. I, personally, would like some Presto love to be shown!

Agreed but I've got an idea that would be a happy medium. Don't play 2112 in full again but instead fix the 1997 Toronto dvd and release that with the full version of 2112 so at least we have it on film. smile.gif