What were/are your fave bands/artists?

rushgoober

Let us know who were and are your favorite bands/artists. These are bands that at any point in your life you were obsessed with to the point that you considered them your favorite artists, even if it was very short lived.

Do your best to list them chronologically in terms of when they were your faves, and end with your current fave band/artist!

1976 - Kiss

1982 - Ozzy Osbourne

1984 - Deep Purple

1985 - Pink Floyd

1986 - Jefferson Airplane

1987 - The Moody Blues

1987 - Grateful Dead

1992 - Cocteau Twins

1995- Popol Vuh

1993 - Rush

All years are approximate, and Rush and Pink Floyd both held the top spot several times. At some point Rush became my undisputed favorite and has held that spot for many years.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 3 2012, 09:51 PM)
Let us know who were and are your favorite bands/artists. These are bands that at any point in your life you were obsessed with to the point that you considered them your favorite artists, even if it was very short lived.

Do your best to list them chronologically in terms of when they were your faves, and end with your current fave band/artist!

Kiss
Ozzy Osbourne
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Jefferson Airplane
The Moody Blues
Grateful Dead
Cocteau Twins
Rush

Looked at your list again and realized you haven't really picked up on anything more current than the 80s. Just curious about why you think that is? Do you listen to a lot of newer music or just tend to listen to the stuff that you already know you like?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 3 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 3 2012, 09:51 PM)
Let us know who were and are your favorite bands/artists.  These are bands that at any point in your life you were obsessed with to the point that you considered them your favorite artists, even if it was very short lived.

Kiss
Ozzy Osbourne
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Jefferson Airplane
The Moody Blues
Grateful Dead
Cocteau Twins
Rush

Looked at your list again and realized you haven't really picked up on anything more current than the 80s. Just curious about why you think that is? Do you listen to a lot of newer music or just tend to listen to the stuff that you already know you like?

There is some current music I like - Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Wobbler, Astra, Anglagard, Fleet Foxes and some others, but it would take quite a lot to find a band of the level of one of those bands on my list. I think Astra could be a band like that, but they've only released 2 albums. Then again, that IS a pretty retro sounding band.

What can I say, most of my favorite music is from the mid 60's through the late 70's. That was really the golden age of music IMHO.

Shinedown (I was just starting to listen to music, give me a break)

Pink Floyd

Rush

I have recently been obsessing over other artists as I dig deeper into their catalogues (King Crimson, Yes, Dream Theater, and currently Frank Zappa/Mothers), but Rush will always be my one true love.

• Like 1

Lets start at about 1966

The Beatles

The Monkees

The Who

Deep Purple

Black Sabbath

Rush

Rush

Pink Floyd

The Ramones

Patti Smith

Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Kraftwerk

Patti Smith

The Clash

Talking Heads

King Crimson

Talking Heads

The Flatlanders

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys

Fingerstyle Guitar Players... Elizabeth Cotten, Michael Hedges, Big Bill Broonzy, Chet Baker, etc etc....

King Crimson

Wilco

Coltrane, Davis, Brubeck

Rush

A special mention to Janis, you break my heart

Edited by burgeranacoke

Since February 8, 1964 The Beatles have been my favorite band and that will never change. Watching them that night at the age of 7 1/2 was a life altering experience and remains so to this day.

There have been many bands I've really gotten deep into for long periods....Sabbath, Purple, Rush, Floyd, etc., etc., etc....(and most I'm still very into) but no other artist has ever made me feel the way the "four lads from Liverpool" did, do and always will.

The first time I saw Paul (was not old enough to be allowed to see The Beatles and they didn't come to Spokane anyway I don't believe) I nearly cried and I was 36 years old. It was like having my life sung back to me.

You may think this post is silly but I don't care.

QUOTE (bathory @ Sep 3 2012, 10:47 PM)
to me, if I haven't heard it, it's new music

yes.gif Same for me

Here's my list

The Beatles

Rush

laugh.gif

Current top 5- Rush, King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Gong

smile.gif

1981-2 Foreigner/Journey/Asia

1982-5 Iron Maiden

1986-now Genesis

1987-2002 Pat Metheny Group/Lyle Mays

1987-now Miles Davis

1988-now Rush

1988-2004 Yes

1988-now Traffic

early 90s-now Grateful Dead

1995-now Sandy Denny (with and without Fairport Convention)

2007-now Crowded House (with a spell in the early 90s)

(I dug these last three bands before the years listed to various extents, but not to the obsessive-collector mentality. smile.gif

And there's always been The Beatles, The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin, etc...

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

I think the first 'real' album I bought was J Giles Band - Freeze Frame in 1981

-then got into Quiet Riot with Metal Health in 1983

BUT, it really began when I fell in love with Rush in 1985

I have claimed Rush to be my favorite band ever since, but since then have had many co-number ones. I will list other favorites (or close to favorites) with approximate years

Led Zeppelin - 1986

Yes - 1987

Allman Brothers - 1989

Grateful Dead - 1989

Govt Mule - 1997

Black Crowes - 2008

Honorable mentions to The Who and Pink Floyd. They could never be considered favorite band or co-favorite, but I still love them.