New Peart Interview

presto123

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/08/13/on-intr...to-one-another/

Seems Neil's view on religion is similar to mine. I have nothing against religion per say but if you are going to label yourself a Christian you have to live by the principles of the Bible not just talk about it. Show Me Don't Tell Me I guess:) Can't just show up for Church once a week and punch a ticket to heaven.

BTW: Just my interpretation. Neil didn't come out and say this exactly. He does talk a lot about treating others well and I couldn't agree more. I know quite a few of church goers that are judgemental, back stabbing, and don't treat others all that well. That's the point I was trying to make.

Edited by presto123

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Aug 13 2012, 06:55 PM)
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/08/13/on-intr...to-one-another/

Seems Neil's view on religion is similar to mine. I have nothing against religion per say but if you are going to label yourself a Christian you have to live by the principles of the Bible not just talk about it. Show Me Don't Tell Me I guess:) Can't just show up for Church once a week and punch a ticket to heaven.

BTW: Just my interpretation. Neil didn't come out and say this exactly. He does talk a lot about treating others well and I couldn't agree more. I know quite a few of church goers that are judgemental, back stabbing, and don't treat others all that well. That's the point I was trying to make.

Couldn't agree with you or him more! I have known many people who attended church regularly and had a "better than thou" attitude but they were all just out for themselves. I am not saying that the majority of churchgoers are like this but I have met plenty like this.

I too have recently been enlightened to the fact that all the Born again Christians I've known in my life have also been some of the most confused, morally bankrupt people I've ever known. I wonder why that is. Is it because they believe that since they have the elusive "key" to Heaven's Gate that it doesn't really matter how they treat others on Earth?

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 13 2012, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Aug 13 2012, 07:48 PM)

A realization I had lately: it is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican.
ohmy.gif Go Neil! 1022.gif tongue.gif

Yeah! f**k christian republicans! Liars!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

The other thread got moved already. Won't belong for this one.

This is what I got out of the article:

Quoted from the interview: (though not necessarily in this order)

"Yes Mike, Rush have and always will be a hard drinking, hard toking, high octane, high flying, heavy metal band!"

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2012, 02:25 AM)

"Yes Mike, Rush have and always will be a hard drinking, hard toking, high octane, high flying, heavy metal band!"

biggrin.gif

They aren't metal.

Yes are metal!!!

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 14 2012, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2012, 02:25 AM)

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

biggrin.gif

They aren't metal.

Yes are metal!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Neil was just making a generic off-the-cuff remark about the Christian Right, which has oodles of hypocrisy (if you can't even acknowledge that, then there's no point in discussing it). Neil has been at odds with them for ~35 years, so this is nothing new.

And though his views on religion are more prominent on the last couple albums, they're also present in songs written in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. Tom Sawyer is often cited, but the atheist/agnostic block on the T4E tour (Freewill, Roll the Bones, Resist) is what stands out to me.

I agree with those who basically said "Democrats too." I think it's just a case of Republicans being the easiest targets because they openly espouse what both parties do: Big government weaponized corporatocracy. That said, I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna see The Professor out stumping on the campaign trail.

Well, what does Rush do best of all? When they start to get big, they alienate their fan base laugh.gif

Not going to say if I agree or disagree with Peart because IMO, acts are more important than beliefs. If their personal religious or political beliefs differ from mine, I am cool with that, as long as how they act is deserving of respect.

Peart's private life is certainly more worthy of respect than the overwhelming majority of political and religious leaders on either side of the fence. So, his philosophy works for him in the real sense- not just talk but action.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 14 2012, 08:54 AM)
Okay, I'll bite.

I think it's hypocrisy for democrat Christians because forced charity is no longer charity. Jesus espoused charity. Not forced charity. Republicans just don't want to force people into helping others because it means more when it is voluntary.

Marry me? laugh.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 14 2012, 07:55 AM)
Btw, why did you even post this? There is a separate forum for this and you know it. You didn't even try to hide it.

This is a new Neil interview where he discusses more than just politics and religion. It's not inappropriate to post this outside of SOCN.