New Peart Interview

presto123

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 14 2012, 10:14 PM)
The fact is, there is much injustice perpetuated by Republicans and so called "Christians". I mean "so called" Christians because Neil is right - there are far too many people who claim to live by the words of Jesus Christ but who's actions are the complete opposite of anything the man stood for.

If you are a decent person of Christian faith then these comments don't apply and you should't be offended by them.

But please do not pretend that a large number of Christians (who happen to be Republicans) are not lodly and vocally oppressive to people who do not follow their "faith" to the note.

I am a gay man and have lived it first hand my entire life.

I applaud Neil Peart for having the balls to state these inconvenient truths.

I hope you'll apologize for my pointed questions, but you've mentioned that you were gay as part of your defense of Neil's statements. If I try and assume the best of all Neil's statements, and conclude that his statements were a criticism of the republican establishment, I can see your point.

But I feel Neil did more than that. He made assumptions about what it means to be a follower of Jesus. He made assumptions about what it means to be a republican. And he did it in a way sure to inflame those about whom he spoke.

Do Christians believe in gay marriage? What was Jesus' view on this? I could reread the Bible a few times a try and ascertain Jesus' views on this, but ultimately, there is no scholarly or religious consensus. I could see what certain republicans say about the issue, but the republican party does have many who agree with 80% of the platform, but don't want to be defined by the 20% which they are trying to change. My town just elected an openly gay mayor. Does the fact that he's gay or the fact that he's republican make his views incompatible with Jesus'? Or, as the Catholic church here has concluded, is there no incompatibility at all? And that is a potential disagreement within just one of the many denominations of Christianity.

I'm not religious, and I don't believe in God. I'm not a republican and I don't subscribe to the beliefs of the other Rush. But I can recognize that there is a lot of room to interpret both the teachings' of Jesus and what it is to be a republican that Neil's generalized indictment of both could be insulting to either.

I have never had a non Christian, non Jesus following liberal Democrat tell me that I should not have the opportunity to enter into a union with my partner, start a family, serve my country or not be evicted or fired from a job.

This is a correct generalization.

And while I appluad your town for electing an openly gay Mayor, this actually does fly in the face of what the vast majority of vocal Christians and Republicans stand for, despite his own political leanings.

And Jesus had nothing to say against, nor in favor of "gay marriage", although the Bible sure has a lot to say about polygamy and slavery.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 14 2012, 11:22 PM)
The fact is, there is much injustice perpetuated by Republicans and so called "Christians". I mean "so called" Christians because Neil is right - there are far too many people who claim to live by the words of Jesus Christ but who's actions are the complete opposite of anything the man stood for.

If you are a decent person of Christian faith then these comments don't apply and you should't be offended by them.

But please do not pretend that a large number of Christians (who happen to be Republicans) are not lodly and vocally oppressive to people who do not follow their "faith" to the note.

I hope you'll apologize for my pointed questions, but you've mentioned that you were gay as part of your defense of Neil's statements. If I try and assume the best of all Neil's statements, and conclude that his statements were a criticism of the republican establishment, I can see your point.

But I feel Neil did more than that. He made assumptions about what it means to be a follower of Jesus. He made assumptions about what it means to be a republican. And he did it in a way sure to inflame those about whom he spoke.

Do Christians believe in gay marriage? What was Jesus' view on this? I could reread the Bible a few times a try and ascertain Jesus' views on this, but ultimately, there is no scholarly or religious consensus. I could see what certain republicans say about the issue, but the republican party does have many who agree with 80% of the platform, but don't want to be defined by the 20% which they are trying to change. My town just elected an openly gay mayor. Does the fact that he's gay or the fact that he's republican make his views incompatible with Jesus'? Or, as the Catholic church here has concluded, is there no incompatibility at all? And that is a potential disagreement within just one of the many denominations of Christianity.

I'm not religious, and I don't believe in God. I'm not a republican and I don't subscribe to the beliefs of the other Rush. But I can recognize that there is a lot of room to interpret both the teachings' of Jesus and what it is to be a republican that Neil's generalized indictment of both could be insulting to either.

I have never had a non Christian, non Jesus following liberal Democrat tell me that I should not have the opportunity to enter into a union with my partner, start a family, serve my country or not be evicted or fired from a job.

And while I appluad your town for electing an openly gay Mayor, this actually does fly in the face of what the vast majority of vocal Christians and Republicans stand for, despite his own political leanings.

And Jesus had nothing to say against, nor in favor of "gay marriage", although the Bible sure has a lot to say about polygamy and slavery.

Your contempt for a subset of people within certain organizations should not taint your ability to openly engage those others without resorting to religion 101 and straw men.

I should also say that what Neil is talking about are not "assumptions".

Right-Wing-Christian Republicans could not be more forthright in their veiws and agenda.

It is their foundation. It is fundamentally opposite of what progressive minded people think.

There is nothing wrong with a drumming legend and lyricist to state this without worry of "offending" his fans.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 11:27 PM)

Your contempt for a subset of people within certain organizations should not taint your ability to openly engage those others without resorting to religion 101 and straw men.

B*llshit.

My contempt is well deserved - and I have no use for engagement with people who look to oppress me.

And if you think that all I do in my life is look for ways to knock people who disagree with me - well, you don't know me at all.

My freind list is varied and enormous.

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 14 2012, 11:34 PM)

B*llshit.

My contempt is well deserved - and I have no use for engagement with people who look to oppress me.

And if you think that all I do in my life is look for ways to knock people who disagree with me - well, you don't know me at all.

I was talking about Neil, but your response is also disappointing, if not unsurprising.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 14 2012, 11:34 PM)

B*llshit.

I was talking about Neil, but your response is also disappointing, if not unsurprising.

Well then I'm happy to dissapoint you

Your comment could have been directed at either of us and I bet both responses would be equally unsurprising, although Neil's would be better written.

NP is a rock drummer who just happens to read a lot and is very opinionated. He's not a philosopher or a theologian. His comment was uncharacteristically trite and only alienates a good portion of Rush's fan base.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 15 2012, 12:48 AM)
NP is a rock drummer who just happens to read a lot and is very opinionated. He's not a philosopher or a theologian. His comment was uncharacteristically trite and only alienates a good portion of Rush's fan base.

Just my two cents.

Bet it doesn't hurt ticket sales.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Aug 15 2012, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 15 2012, 12:48 AM)

Just my two cents.

Bet it doesn't hurt ticket sales.

I hope not!

I'm neither a Christian nor a Republican, and while I'm not personally offended by his comment, I can understand why a lot of people would be.

Such a sweeping generalization just seems out of character for him.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Sin City @ Aug 14 2012, 03:02 PM)
Two words. First amendment.

? Is the government unduly limiting the right to speech of an American citizen? No, a private individual is asking a Canadian to stfu. No amendments need be invoked.

Once again. FIRST AMENDMENT. But you want to silence Peart because his world view doesn't correlate or reflect yours? He's not espousing extremism, he isn't discriminating against anyone, but merely making a statement about the contradiction between christianity and the core beliefs of republicanism. You're offended? Tough titty. You are choosing to be offended and trying to limit the speech of someone who is now a resident of the United States and no doubt paying taxes.

You know something? The tone of your posts only serves to demonstrate how right he is. It's amazing how people like yourself show their true colours when challenged by trying to narrow the agenda or close down any discussion.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 15 2012, 01:20 AM)

The sticking point, i think, is that it isn't a sweeping generalization at all but an astute observation.

Trust me, if this was just some sweeping generalization he would have been fed to the wolves years ago.

Hence my next point - he is alienatitng only very a small portion of his fanbase with his observations.

Anyone bearing welts from his comments probably find more truth in them then those who don't.

Neil Peart is a 60 year old man and the drummer / lyricist of the biggest cult band to ever exhist.

The day he begins censoring himself to spare peoples feelings is the day I hand in my fanboi badge, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon - thankfully.

To my Christian and Republican freinds who are Rush fans - I'm sorry, but your boys in Rush are liberals and don't follow a religion.

This should come as no surprise to anyone, and as such there is no reason why any member of the band should sugar-coat their philosiphy out of fear of "alienating" some of their fans, especially in the twilight of their career.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Aug 15 2012, 01:53 AM)

? Is the government unduly limiting the right to speech of an American citizen? No, a private individual is asking a Canadian to stfu. No amendments need be invoked.

Once again. FIRST AMENDMENT. But you want to silence Peart because his world view doesn't correlate or reflect yours? He's not espousing extremism, he isn't discriminating against anyone, but merely making a statement about the contradiction between christianity and the core beliefs of republicanism. You're offended? Tough titty. You are choosing to be offended and trying to limit the speech of someone who is now a resident of the United States and no doubt paying taxes.

You know something? The tone of your posts only serves to demonstrate how right he is. It's amazing how people like yourself show their true colours when challenged by trying to narrow the agenda or close down any discussion.

man - THANK YOU - lol

I was starting to feel like a lone wolf out here, but your post is spot on.

I never intended to stir shit up, but I'm glad this thread took this turn and I am amazed at the closemindedness of some of my fellow Rush fans here.

Good post, Sin - thank you.

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 15 2012, 02:04 AM)

The sticking point, i think, is that it isn't a sweeping generalization at all but an astute observation.

Trust me, if this was just some sweeping generalization he would have been fed to the wolves years ago.

Hence my next point - he is alienatitng only very a small portion of his fanbase with his observations.

Anyone bearing welts from his comments probably find more truth in them then those who don't.

Neil Peart is a 60 year old man and the drummer / lyricist of the biggest cult band to ever exhist.

The day he begins censoring himself to spare peoples feelings is the day I hand in my fanboi badge, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon - thankfully.

To my Christian and Republican freinds who are Rush fans - I'm sorry, but your boys in Rush are liberals and don't follow a religion.

This should come as no surprise to anyone, and as such there is no reason why any member of the band should sugar-coat their philosiphy out of fear of "alienating" some of their fans, especially in the twilight of their career.

I regret wading into this but now that I have.....

I think your own animosity toward Christians and/or Republicans comes from the fact that you feel as though everyone who identifies as such condemns you because you're gay. All Christians/Republicans are not so bigoted.

Neil's comment was a generalization. I know a lot of people who call themselves Christian and who are Republicans, and they're not narrow-minded. They may be the exception, but they do exist.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 15 2012, 02:34 AM)

I think your own animosity toward Christians and/or Republicans comes from the fact that you feel as though everyone who identifies as such condemns you because you're gay. All Christians/Republicans are not so bigoted.

Neil's comment was a generalization. I know a lot of people who call themselves Christian and who are Republicans, and they're not narrow-minded. They may be the exception, but they do exist.

I appreciate your post and respectfully disagree.

Anyone who has ever condemned me for being gay has been a Christian or a Republican, or both. Why on Earth would I not feel the way I do??

However, I have many freinds and family who identify as Christian and Republican (or both) who accept and love me wholeheartedly.

My partner and I have been together for 17 years strong. We have outlasted all of my straight siblings marriges lol - not that that is a great bragging right, but still. I am a very blessed guy with a family who adores me. My rage about this subject comes from past personal experienece but more for concern of todays youth, who continue to kill themsleves at rates that should shame us all.

They aren't doing it because progressive rock drummers are picking on Christians.

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 15 2012, 02:52 AM)

Anyone who has ever condemned me for being gay has been a Christian or a Republican, or both. Why on Earth would I not feel the way I do??

However, I have many freinds and family who identify as Christian and Republican (or both) who accept and love me wholeheartedly.

My partner and I have been together for 17 years strong. We have outlasted all of my straight siblings marriges lol - not that that is a great bragging right, but still. I am a very blessed guy with a family who adores me. My rage about this subject comes from past personal experienece but more for concern of todays youth, who continue to kill themsleves at rates that should shame us all.

They aren't doing it because progressive rock drummers are picking on Christians.

When I posted my first comment in this thread I never expected to get into this!

It's really late and I have to get up early tomorrow so I'll be brief and to the point:

Neil can bash Christians and Republicans all he wants, I really don't care. I'm just concerned about the possible backlash.

I think it's admirable of you to be so open about your personal life here. Too many people can be very judgmental about gay people.

I'm not being flippant or dismissive, but I really need to go to bed!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 15 2012, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 15 2012, 02:52 AM)

When I posted my first comment in this thread I never expected to get into this!

It's really late and I have to get up early tomorrow so I'll be brief and to the point:

Neil can bash Christians and Republicans all he wants, I really don't care. I'm just concerned about the possible backlash.

I think it's admirable of you to be so open about your personal life here. Too many people can be very judgmental about gay people.

I'm not being flippant or dismissive, but I really need to go to bed!

biggrin.gif

Fair enough - I need to go to bed too lol

and for the record I wasn't trying to offend anybody or stir up shit with my posts. This particular subject just hit a nerve with me and I ran with it.

We have an awesome tour about to unfold.

Peace.

Great interview. I agree with him 100% about current events. I also love that he admits that it took him a while to learn the lesson of Wish Them Well - I can really grok that. wink.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ Aug 15 2012, 01:53 AM)

This post could not possibly be more wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

The first amendment guarantees Neil the right to speak. We agree on that. Many people here dont want him to needlessly express view that are so polarizing. You disagree, and accuse us of violating the first amendment. How can a citizen violate the first amendment? How is that even possible? It was created for protection from the government.

"You are choosing to be offended"

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 15 2012, 07:30 AM)
The first amendment guarantees Neil the right to speak.

Actually, it does not. This is a common misconception. The first amendment protects citizens from government censorship only. It does not apply to non-government organizations. For example, a privately owned TV station, magazine, newspaper, web site or whatever can censor content and they often do. One can stand in a public place and freely speak but not in a privately owned place.