Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

From the first time I heard the album on release day The Anarchist stood out to me as my favorite along with Headlong Flight. I love the bass line in The Anarchist and just everything about HF. Close on their heels I love the groove in Seven Cities of Gold and Carnies. I don't hear many praises for Caravan but I really like that one too. It has some great guitar and bass moments plus that chorus line "In a world where I feel so small, I can't help thinking big" .

Caravan and BU2B were stellar on their own...when heard in context of the album--wow!

The producer deserves a lot of credit

• Like 1

From the first time I heard the album on release day The Anarchist stood out to me as my favorite along with Headlong Flight. I love the bass line in The Anarchist and just everything about HF. Close on their heels I love the groove in Seven Cities of Gold and Carnies. I don't hear many praises for Caravan but I really like that one too. It has some great guitar and bass moments plus that chorus line "In a world where I feel so small, I can't help thinking big" .

Caravan and BU2B were stellar on their own...when heard in context of the album--wow!

The producer deserves a lot of credit

I know. I remember when the singles were released (I never buy singles but I couldn't resist) I was blown away by Caravan and was excited to see what they would come up with to put it in context.

• Like 2

This album has grown on me over the past few months. I don't hold it in the same regard as the original author of this post, but, if it is Rush's last work, they certainly went out in amazing fashion. Actually,not a huge fan of the title track, prefer Caravan, BU2B, Halo Effect, The Wreckers,Headlong Flight and The Garden. The Garden,with full orchestra, gives me chills. So moving lyrically and musically (to me).

I heard some mention of a possible movie based on the story of CA. Obviously, the sound track is already in place. With all the crappy Dystopian movies out there, this could surely surpass many of those. Imagine the support of Rush Nation!

• Like 1

It's all golden to me. Not a skipper in the whole lot.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20600000/Alan-Hale-Jr-as-Skipper-gilligans-island-20605756-380-304.jpg

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

seven cities of gold originally sounded really cool to me, Al doing his led zep thing etc but after a few listens it quickly became unusually montonous for this band. I mean that's all it is really, Al doing his jimmy page thing most of the time with a few sound effects chucked in. ged's keyboards are great as usual and the track does have it's merits but yeah i just felt bored with it very quickly for some reason. sort of inbetween the good & the bad of the album.

never got tired of caravan, BU2B, the title track, Headlong flight and the garden though. awesome rush.

seven cities of gold originally sounded really cool to me, Al doing his led zep thing etc but after a few listens it quickly became unusually montonous for this band. I mean that's all it is really, Al doing his jimmy page thing most of the time

Dude...Al is doing his Al thing. There is no Zepplin track that sounds remotely like Seven Cities of Gold
  • Like 3

seven cities of gold originally sounded really cool to me, Al doing his led zep thing etc but after a few listens it quickly became unusually montonous for this band. I mean that's all it is really, Al doing his jimmy page thing most of the time

Dude...Al is doing his Al thing. There is no Zepplin track that sounds remotely like Seven Cities of Gold

Agreed...in fact, Seven Cities is Rush sounding at most like they did during their AFTK years, without being self plagiarised.

I would love a whole album in a similar vein to Seven Cities, Headlong Flight and yes, even The Garden.

• Like 3

Agreed...in fact, Seven Cities is Rush sounding at most like they did during their AFTK years, without being self plagiarised.

I would love a whole album in a similar vein to Seven Cities, Headlong Flight and yes, even The Garden.

Right on, and yet it's unique. Just start with the intro, then the story. Geddy's vocals are absolutely golden.

Can't believe dude equated this song with anything Zepplin ever did. C'mon man.

It's proper Rush!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

sounds more than a bit Zep to me :) if you dont hear it though that's fine. bit like his homage to dave gilmour in way the wind blows, and maybe steve howe in that funky little solo thing in out of the cradle. I know Al just does the Al thing, not even remotely suggesting a plagiarist the guy's probably the most unique guitarist ever, but in my view he does drop in the little homage every now and then. Far Cry got a bit of U2's The Edge in actually i think :)

And we all know where Andy Summers came into it...

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

sounds more than a bit Zep to me :) if you dont hear it though that's fine. bit like his homage to dave gilmour in way the wind blows, and maybe steve howe in that funky little solo thing in out of the cradle. I know Al just does the Al thing, not even remotely suggesting a plagiarist the guy's probably the most unique guitarist ever, but in my view he does drop in the little homage every now and then. Far Cry got a bit of U2's The Edge in actually i think :)

And we all know where Any Summers came into it...

Just curious about the page influence. I have an ear. I play and write music. Help me see the Zep in that song. :sundog:

just the main riff of the track dude it's all zep i'm amazed you dont get it, not a shred of doubt for me :)

The very first time i heard Seven Cities i thought 'that's zep' and my view not changed.

also get Angus Young in Between sun & Moon, and obvs the little bit of Clapton as well as Gilmour in WTWB

i still havent given up on Al doing his own thing on Metallica, a whole rush album of that would be far out man

Edited by lifeson90

seven cities of gold originally sounded really cool to me, Al doing his led zep thing etc but after a few listens it quickly became unusually montonous for this band. I mean that's all it is really, Al doing his jimmy page thing most of the time with a few sound effects chucked in. ged's keyboards are great as usual and the track does have it's merits but yeah i just felt bored with it very quickly for some reason. sort of inbetween the good & the bad of the album.

never got tired of caravan, BU2B, the title track, Headlong flight and the garden though. awesome rush.

say what?

And we all know where Any Summers came into it...

Just curious about the page influence. I have an ear. I play and write music. Help me see the Zep in that song. :sundog:

Well, I once saw Jesus' face in a bowl of linguini. The meat sauce distorted it slightly but it was obvious what I was seeing.

• Like 2

If they did that I'd be:

http://hd.wallpaperswide.com/thumbs/shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

• Like 2

If they did that I'd be:

http://hd.wallpaperswide.com/thumbs/shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Hahaha

I know I come down hard on CA, but the tracks I enjoy I REALLY enjoy. Recently more so than I have in a couple of years!

Glad you're enjoying Clockwork Angels, Segue.

Not everyone shares in my love for Carnies. It's strange, cause personally it's Headlong Flight that has been difficult to like for me. I don't really like the vocals.

I love Carnies. Immediately fell for that track. Still love it.

One of my favorite Rush albums. Not top 5......but indeed top 10. What is so amazing is how late in their career they put this together. It really is a true culmination of all their periods. You hear it all over the place. It's a diverse album with many moods. Riff driven which to me is what makes Rush the masters of prog rock. And for me this is a true concept record start to finish as opposed to one side. A true theme throughout and a cool story.

My top 6 tunes from CA

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Caravan

The Wreckers

Edited by Todem
  • Like 5

"I will stoke the fire of the big steel wheels"

What an earworm.

Edited by Segue Myles