Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

four of the tracks; Caravan, Clockwork Angels, the garden and the awesome BU2B are some of the best stuff the band ever done. another two or three are very good Rush, but for me the album as a whole falls woefully short of every other album the band recorded.

if you take Caravan, BU2B, CA as a side one then the anarchist, headlong flight and the garden as side two, you got a crackin album very similar to permanent waves in composition and quality.

just think the guys over-extended on this one, maybe ran outa juice after the break they took in writing it i dunno

doesnt matter though, Caravan and BU2B kept me going for months if not a whole year, the track clockwork angels and the garden especially were a lovely bonus when the album came around.

BU2B is like the craziest shit this band ever done for me, really showed the kids how cutting edge they still were.

• Like 2

I don't know, Ms. Lorraine. I didn't click on anything. Not underlined now, though. Maybe what I have to say is just deemed that important?

Yes, I think that was it. :yes: :)

You put my last sentence in BOLD. Now you're just messing with me!

I don't know, Ms. Lorraine. I didn't click on anything. Not underlined now, though. Maybe what I have to say is just deemed that important?

Yes, I think that was it. :yes: :)

You put my last sentence in BOLD. Now you're just messing with me!

:o No.

I put it in bold so you would know that is what I was commenting on. :)

BU2B is like the craziest shit this band ever done for me, really showed the kids how cutting edge they still were.

Yep. When it first hit I thought "Damn these guys just went metal on us". The moog pedals are badass
  • Like 1

I listened to this today and really like the album. It is some of the best writing they have done in years. I would have liked to hear it recorded to tape using an old board and an old producer. Hiwatt, Sunn, and Ampeg turned up loud...
  • Like 2

I'd still put up Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three. Just as good if not better in my opinion.

IMHO, it'd beat Bones, Counterparts, & Echo but definitely not Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, & Moving Pictures. Even Windows, Fire, & Presto I'd put above their last 3.

CA was far away my favorite from 2012. Now that I think of it I can't remember anything else that came out in 2012 that I still love like I do CA...

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth was better than expected, but still nowhere near as good as anything before Hagar. It just didn't suck.

Muse - 2nd Law is complete and utter garbage, the worst thing they ever recorded.

Lindsey Stirling's debut was a total surprise. That girl can really shred that violin.

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day was an awesome live album. Holy shit.

Fanatic by Heart and Synthetica by Metric are two of my favs from 2012 along with Clockwork Angels. In fact I saw all three of these records listed on best of lists back in 2012. That's how I discovered Metric.

• Like 1

Three songs aside, I think it has their best songs since possibly Moving Pictures. But that is mainly due to Headlong Flight. That song gets better and better with every spin.

And Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers, Caravan and Clockwork Angels are emerging as real favourites.

Not sure I will ever enjoy The Anarchist, Halo Effect or Carnies, and they really drag down my enjoyment of the album, but the rest of the record I like or love. Vapor Trails remains my favourite of the millennium, but Clockwork Angels has grown on me more and more!

Aside from The Garden. I just "like" that song.

• Like 1

Three songs aside, I think it has their best songs since possibly Moving Pictures. But that is mainly due to Headlong Flight. That song gets better and better with every spin.

And Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers, Caravan and Clockwork Angels are emerging as real favourites.

Not sure I will ever enjoy The Anarchist, Halo Effect or Carnies, and they really drag down my enjoyment of the album, but the rest of the record I like or love. Vapor Trails remains my favourite of the millennium, but Clockwork Angels has grown on me more and more!

I remember when I played the entire record front to back. Call me a fanboi or whatever, but I felt these things immediately:

Seven Cities of Gold was a mini-epic...just as adventurous as Red Barchetta

Clockwork Angels was proggy and epic, and so so fresh.

Headlong Flight was straight forward unadulterated Rush from the 2112 days and earlier, containing almost every element that made them great

The Garden was a true classic on the mantle with every other great Rush song

and

The Anarchist was going to be orgasmic in concert...which is was, especially on the last tour.

The four songs I mentioned are all-time great Rush songs, deserving a place alongside their very best.

• Like 2

I remember when I played the entire record front to back. Call me a fanboi or whatever, but I felt these things immediately:

Headlong Flight was straight forward unadulterated Rush from the 2112 days and earlier, containing almost every element that made them great

and

The Anarchist was going to be orgasmic in concert...which is was, especially on the last tour.

The four songs I mentioned are all-time great Rush songs, deserving a place alongside their very best.

Not sure why, but The Anarchist, Halo Effect and Carnies really damage the enjoyment of the album for me...I find if I play them, the album is unbearably dull and earnest, but of I skip them, the album feels incomplete.

But Caravan through to Clockwork Angels thrills me endlessly, then once those three tracks are over I love Seven Cities (in my mind, a worthy successor to Xanadu with the majesty of Witch Hunt or Red Barchetta), The Wreckers (melodic hard rock gold, truly beautiful chorus, fantastic lyrics, creates a distinct mental image), Headlong Flight (takes me straight back to Caress Of Steel/Fly By Night era Rush), I find BU2B2 unnecessarily short, I could do with this being longer. Wish Them Well is easily as strong as anything on the second side of 2112, and whilst I am not in love with The Garden, it is one of those exemplary mood pieces that Rush have done a few times, with mixed responses: Rivendell, Available Light, Red Sector A, Ghost Of A Chance. Beautiful in its own way, but not necessarily my favourite musically.

My biggest gripes with the album are merely the production, three songs (one after the other) that really do little for me (The Anarchist just sounds like the three songs prior to it with nothing to actually add to the listening expereience), and the fact that, in spite of the records strengths, it feels repetitive to my ears.

The chorus of The Wreckers and The Garden could easily be traded. The rest of the songs blur a little...it's a strong album but not close to my favourite Rush album at all.

Edited by Segue Myles

and

it's a strong album but not close to my favourite Rush album at all.

Yeah we know this already :ph34r:

and

The chorus of The Wreckers and The Garden could easily be traded. The rest of the songs blur a little...it's a strong album but not close to my favourite Rush album at all.

Initially I felt the Wreckers was the weakest cut on the album. In regards to bu2b2, i'll be that was a Nick thing meant to tick off Rushgoober. Halo Effect was meant to embarrass Lorraine

Glad you're enjoying Clockwork Angels, Segue.

Not everyone shares in my love for Carnies. It's strange, cause personally it's Headlong Flight that has been difficult to like for me. I don't really like the vocals.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

From the first time I heard the album on release day The Anarchist stood out to me as my favorite along with Headlong Flight. I love the bass line in The Anarchist and just everything about HF. Close on their heels I love the groove in Seven Cities of Gold and Carnies. I don't hear many praises for Caravan but I really like that one too. It has some great guitar and bass moments plus that chorus line "In a world where I feel so small, I can't help thinking big" .
  • Like 3

Headlong Flight is a great song. The first time I heard it, I thought to myself "this is what this band should be doing right now." Still bringing it with conviction, and retaining the twists and turns we'd come to expect. When put into the context of having been written and performed by guys around 60 years of age, it really becomes an impressive work. Put another way, if you had told me in 1981 that Rush would create music like this in 30+ years, I would have been absolutely thrilled. Of course, I also wouldn't have guessed that we'd be bludgeoned by the likes of Superconductor in the interim, but that's a tale for another thread. I also like most of the rest of the CA album, as it displays some solid ideas and solid playing. I've got the album in my top 5 Rush albums.

• Like 3