London 2012

blackhawkrush

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2012, 04:40 PM)
Wow Paul McCartney was in the Olympic stadium as Britain won the women's Heptathlon gold, and men's 10,000 metre and long jump golds!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Some of the favorites for the gold in the 2012 Men's Hiptathalon:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/hipsters-1.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/hipsters-4.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/hipsters-11.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/hipsters-13.jpg

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2012, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 1 2012, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2012, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Aug 1 2012, 09:29 AM)
Can you believe this????

confused13.gif The Olympic committee takes swift action after the female badminton players try to throw matches. Disqualified 8 players.

Here's an article on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/b...26pLid%3D186798

My question is, how is this different from soccer teams deliberately playing to a tie? That's not their best effort? It's good strategy.

In her final floor exercise, a US athlete intentionally removed a move from her routine to increase the certainty of her team's finish. Should she have tried for a better perfromance even thugh it would have put her gold medal at risk?

Good point. I don't see what the problem here is.

It's not like they are determining the outcome of a wager or something. It's just smart strategy.

Maybe they should suspend themselves for designing a tournament that could be manipulated this way...

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 4 2012, 07:06 PM)
Can you believe this????

confused13.gif The Olympic committee takes swift action after the female badminton players try to throw matches. Disqualified 8 players.

Here's an article on it.

My question is, how is this different from soccer teams deliberately playing to a tie? That's not their best effort? It's good strategy.

In her final floor exercise, a US athlete intentionally removed a move from her routine to increase the certainty of her team's finish. Should she have tried for a better perfromance even thugh it would have put her gold medal at risk?

It's not like they are determining the outcome of a wager or something. It's just smart strategy.

Maybe they should suspend themselves for designing a tournament that could be manipulated this way...

I saw some of the lowlights of that spectacle. Those girls didn't even try to be legit. Germany and Austria were much smarter in 1982. They were allowed to continue in the tournament. tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2012, 05:40 PM)
Wow Paul McCartney was in the Olympic stadium as Britain won the women's Heptathlon gold, and men's 10,000 metre and long jump golds!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

And the crowd had a spontaneous sing-a-long of "All You Need Is Love"! Sir Paul really got into it - very cool.

Loved the finish of the 10,000. Farah seems a class act, and he was sooo very happy, not just for himself, but also for his training partner - USA's own Galen Rupp! First US medal (silver) in that race since 1964. One of the all time greats, Alberto Salazar, trains both men.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 5 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2012, 05:40 PM)

ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

And the crowd had a spontaneous sing-a-long of "All You Need Is Love"! Sir Paul really got into it - very cool.

Loved the finish of the 10,000. Farah seems a class act, and he was sooo very happy, not just for himself, but also for his training partner - USA's own Galen Rupp! First US medal (silver) in that race since 1964. One of the all time greats, Alberto Salazar, trains both men.

Yeah they train up near Goober in Oregon...

Sir Macca was all over those Olympic venues yesterday! ohmy.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 5 2012, 04:19 PM)
Murray destroys Federer... 16ton.gif

YAY!!! MURRAY!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

cheer.gif common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 4 2012, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 4 2012, 07:06 PM)
Can you believe this????

Here's an article on it.

I saw some of the lowlights of that spectacle. Those girls didn't even try to be legit. Germany and Austria were much smarter in 1982. They were allowed to continue in the tournament. tongue.gif

yes.gif

Tamking is part of many sports, but you have to at least sell making an effort to the fans.

The Mens 100 metre final, with Bolt blazing down the runway, was amazing. I also enjoyed the Women's Marathon. One event took 10 seconds and the other took 2 hours, 20 plus minutes, but the ultimate prize was the same... the gold medal!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 5 2012, 07:32 PM)
wtf!!! i was just getting into the track and field and now they're switching over to volleyball. nbc overage sucks! angry.gif

Nobody should watch NBC's night session...for health reasons. eh.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 5 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 5 2012, 07:32 PM)
wtf!!! i was just getting into the track and field and now they're switching over to volleyball.  nbc overage sucks! angry.gif

Nobody should watch NBC's night session...for health reasons. eh.gif

merde

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 6 2012, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 6 2012, 11:27 AM)
I'm sick of beach volleyball. enough already. scared.gif

There's a men's competition isn't there?

confused13.gif

Well, sure, but they're not showing the guys, just the girls (BORING)! I just prefer team volleyball than beach anyway - Misty may and friend are getting tiresome...schla03.gif

Phelps says he's retired, doubt it. Give it a few years, he'll be back...yes.gif

Why is yahoo so concerned with Gabby Douglas' hair? or making note of Missy franklins feet. Get a Life, Yahoo! pokey.gif pokey.gif pokey.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 6 2012, 02:35 PM)
Phelps says he's retired, doubt it. Give it a few years, he'll be back...yes.gif

Why is yahoo so concerned with Gabby Douglas' hair? or making note of Missy franklins feet. Get a Life, Yahoo! pokey.gif pokey.gif pokey.gif

I sure hope nobody asks Don Imus what he thinks about her hair.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 6 2012, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 6 2012, 02:35 PM)

Why is yahoo so concerned with Gabby Douglas' hair? or making note of Missy franklins feet. Get a Life, Yahoo! pokey.gif  pokey.gif  pokey.gif

I sure hope nobody asks Don Imus what he thinks about her hair.

unsure.gif

I really like Gabby!