London 2012

blackhawkrush

So - watching the Olympics, a thought crossed my mind and was hoping some international members might be able to help me answer this.

I have heard chants of "U - S - A, U - S - A...." but what do other countries chant? "U - K"?

I have heard Australia's "Aussie aussie aussie" - but not much else....

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Aug 1 2012, 09:29 AM)
Can you believe this????

confused13.gif The Olympic committee takes swift action after the female badminton players try to throw matches. Disqualified 8 players.

Here's an article on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/b...26pLid%3D186798

My question is, how is this different from soccer teams deliberately playing to a tie? That's not their best effort? It's good strategy.

In her final floor exercise, a US athlete intentionally removed a move from her routine to increase the certainty of her team's finish. Should she have tried for a better perfromance even thugh it would have put her gold medal at risk?

Edited by goose

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2012, 11:06 AM)
Can you believe this????

confused13.gif The Olympic committee takes swift action after the female badminton players try to throw matches. Disqualified 8 players.

Here's an article on it.

My question is, how is this different from soccer teams deliberately playing to a tie? That's not their best effort? It's good strategy.

In her final floor exercise, a US athlete intentionally removed a move from her routine to increase the certainty of her team's finish. Should she have tried for a better perfromance even thugh it would have put her gold medal at risk?

Good point. I don't see what the problem here is.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 1 2012, 12:05 PM)
Can you believe this????

Here's an article on it.

It's not like they are determining the outcome of a wager or something. It's just smart strategy.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2012, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 1 2012, 12:05 PM)
Can you believe this????

Here's an article on it.

It's not like they are determining the outcome of a wager or something. It's just smart strategy.

Why not just not show up and give the opponent a walkover? It would be fair to the fans, at least. tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 1 2012, 04:45 PM)
The super heavy boxers are on!

1287.gif

I gave up on Olympic boxing years ago when that Korean was given the nod over Roy Jones in the Gold Medal fight in Seoul.

And yes, that is a long time to hold a grudge.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Aug 1 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 1 2012, 04:45 PM)
The super heavy boxers are on!

1287.gif

I gave up on Olympic boxing years ago when that Korean was given the nod over Roy Jones in the Gold Medal fight in Seoul.

And yes, that is a long time to hold a grudge.

tongue.gif

Yeah Roy beat that Korean guy from pillar to post, the only thing he didn't do was knock him cold.

I think they gave it to the dude the verdict because of the sit down protest by another Korean earlier in the competition.

That mess ruined amateur boxing ever since as it ushered in computer scoring to prevent another Roy Jones situation which encouraged a new pitter pat style of boxing with no body punching.

Anyone else thinking that the coverage of the Games sucks yet again? Hardly any events shown...too much telling the story instead of letting the athletes and their performances speak for themselves.

15 minutes in this morning and yet to see anyone compete.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 2 2012, 11:16 AM)
Anyone else thinking that the coverage of the Games sucks yet again? Hardly any events shown...too much telling the story instead of letting the athletes and their performances speak for themselves.

I don't even deal with TV coverage. I go online, click on the event I want and watch. trink38.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 2 2012, 12:55 PM)
Anyone else thinking that the coverage of the Games sucks yet again?  Hardly any events shown...too much telling the story instead of letting the athletes and their performances speak for themselves.

I don't even deal with TV coverage. I go online, click on the event I want and watch. trink38.gif

Free streaming?

no surprise. nbc sucks ass.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2012, 02:17 PM)
Listen I think we can be clear on one thing, people will win medals and the sun will rise...

smile.gif th1245.gif

Killjoy.

angry.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 24 2012, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jul 23 2012, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 23 2012, 07:39 PM)
After the UK media's coverage of the 2010 Olympics, I and a lot of other Vancouverites would just like to say that these are definitely going to be the worst Olympics ever yes.gif

I think it's all about the TV coverage in your own country. The last few times, NBC has done a good job. And then there's the internet...

I'm more referring to the editorializing...for whatever reason, the British papers devoted a lot of ink to trashing the Vancouver Olympics at the time. It turned into a bit of a controversy here and a lot of people haven't forgotten.

In all seriousness, I couldn't really care less about any Summer Games. Just not interested in the events. But that won't stop me from taking a few childish jabs at much-deserving targets wink.gif

The coverage of the London Olympics in OUR country is second to none. moon.gif

SPOILER!!!!

Gabby Douglas wins the gold in gymnastics! I have to say I saw it coming. She has the skills, the body and the personality to woo the judges. Great story there.