Jon Lord

Terrible news, he will be missed. At least he's in a massive jam session now with Dio, Bon Scott, Randy Rhoads, Bonham, Keith Moon, John Entwistle etc...

RIP Jon, and thank you for so many years of great music.

Devastating loss for Deep Purple fans and rock & rollers everywhere. A true gentleman in every sense and simply irreplaceable as a musician and a human being. Thanks for the music and being part of of the great rock bands ever assembled. The power and the glory of the music will never die!

sad.gif rose.gif

Jon Lord, a man I did not know personally.

Jon Lord, a man who would have walked past me in the street without recognition.

Jon Lord, a man whose playing introduced me to how rock organ could sound.

Jon Lord, a man whose playing introduced me to an entire genre.

Jon Lord, a man whose legacy can and will be heard in virtually every rock Hammond player.

Jon Lord, a man for whose passing I unashamedly shed a tear this evening.

Jon Lord, a true icon of Rock music.

Jon Lord.

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/artist-news/deep-purple/jon-lord-close-corbis-660-80.jpg

Rest In Peace

Absolutely gutted. I would have to say, that out of all the bands and all the music, he is my favourite muso, bringing grace, skill, knowledge and sheer power to Deep Purple, making them my favourite band.

And 'Pictured Within' will always have a special place in my heart.

When I finally saw DP live in '99 at pine knob I was awestruck at how awesum the band was, and most surprised at how Jon is the only keyboard player that embraced the instrument and still had BALLS. You know what I mean. Wakeman, Emerson, Rudess are all awesome, but they all have a "feminine" side to them as they play. You know it and I know it. Not saying those other guys are wussies or anything, it's just that Jon was very unique and stylish in his own way. He OWNED that stage and feel sorry for his rig because he played the living shit out of that thing each and every night.

A tear for you, Jon. You did it right, brother!!!

Edited by the masked drummer

rose.gif The Godfather of Metal keyboards rose.gif

A beautiful statement from Steve Morse:

"Jon just died. I'm shocked and don't know what to do, so I'm going to try to tell you a little about Jon.

Jon was the powerhouse keyboard player that brought rock and classical directly together many times. The first was his timeless organ solo on "Highway Star". The next was his "Concerto for Band and Orchestra". I was able to perform with the whole band as it was played at Albert Hall before we toured extensively with it. Just weeks ago, I was able to play on a studio recording of Jon's concerto and share some heartfelt thoughts and words with him.

Jon was the guy that would stop us from giving up on an idea in songwriting because it wasn't immediately obvious. I remember him encouraging me in the studio to keep doing what I was doing as I played around with an idea that I was intrigued with. After writing something as amazing as his concerto, he still had the imagination to hear ideas on top of anything I suggested. He always had a regal, gentlemanly manner. Like any of us, he could get annoyed, but he would only show it with his wry and dry wit.

Mostly, he was upbeat and a pleasure for anybody to be around. His humor was right up my alley, with us exchanging ridiculous thoughts like,"If Brenda Lee married Tommy Lee, her new name would be Brenda Lee......" Or having him finish the tune when an announcement at an airport would start with several musical notes to get your attention. It's hard to give anecdotes that convey an ease that somebody could give you, but he sure had that ability. We all love people that will pay attention to our kids, and years ago he charmed my (then) 5 year old son, Kevin with a Donald Duck imitation even while he was being hurried to get out of the dressing room and go to the green room for after show greetings.

Jon retired from the endless DP tour schedule, but continued to do appearances with original material and performances of his concerto. I knew he missed the band he helped start, but at the same time couldn't stand the relentless travel. From time to time, we would see him on tour, and he would sit in with us. The last time we played, less than a year ago, at the Sunflower Jam at Royal Albert Hall, he had just come offstage from performing with Rick Wakeman. Later I talked with him and his wife about how strange it felt to look around at the keyboards and not see him there at Albert Hall. We promised to do something together. Soon thereafter, we all learned of his battle with Pancreatic cancer. I kept hearing hopeful, positive reports that they might be making progress, but this sudden death caught me totally unaware. I thought we would meet and do a recording project in the future when he recovered from the chemotherapy. Well, we sort of did, but I had to record it and send it to him, as we were in different countries.

If you have friends, family, especially kids, don't ever miss a chance to do or say something special....or simply appreciate the fact that they are there. One day, they won't be."

Listening to Lazy right now. Thank you for your music Jon, it was truly a gift. RIP Jon. rose.gif

RIP---The truly gifted, die way too soon..even at 71. sad.gif

Classic Rock magazine has a pre-order sale for the Deep Purple fan pack that is being released on Sept 4th . The c.d. has some pretty cool bands covering their songs 1022.gif Edited by metaldad