Coolest drumming moment on CA?

NYM86

It can be a certain beat he plays, a fill, whatever...but what is your favorite specific thing Neil does behind the drum kit on CA? For me, it's the fill at 1:42 in Headlong Flight. I love the way he "messes up" the rhythm of the song by interrupting Alex's guitar with a drum fill that has a totally different pulse to it. Plus, it's badass the way he ends it with double bass and a bunch of crashes. For my money, it's as cool as any fill he's ever written...so what about you? Edited by NYM86

To me, it isn't a specific moment, but rather the feel he has for the entire album. Perhaps it's from being "conducted" to develop his drum parts. I don't know. Whatever it is, this album feels more organic and has a groove I've never heard from Neil before. It's great!

........has to be the CA intro.....especially the ending of that intro @ :50 repeated around 2:06 & 3:38 & 6:08.........roll them drums brother! "As if to fly"!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 3 2012, 05:55 PM)
To me, it isn't a specific moment, but rather the feel he has for the entire album. Perhaps it's from being "conducted" to develop his drum parts. I don't know. Whatever it is, this album feels more organic and has a groove I've never heard from Neil before. It's great!

Organic is a great way to describe it. Neil's as great a drummer when he's loose as opposed to playing planed out parts. Nice to hear both sides in full effect on this one.

I really like the simplified approach that he took on this album, the way it sounds like he's playing with urgency and reckless abandon. I find this especially true on the title track, The Anarchist, Seven Cities of Gold, and Headlong Flight. He has a great groove on this album. Neil is taking fewer flights of fancy and really playing for the songs on this one. What he lacks in flash, he makes up for in honesty, power, pocket-sense, and soul.

It's a nice change-of-pace to hear him just jamming like this.

QUOTE (RASH 2112 @ Jul 3 2012, 06:04 PM)
Lot's of great drumming moments on the album. But, when I heard the two "count ins" on Clockwork Angels, I loved it! A little bit of that rawness goes a long way on modern day recording.

My favorite is after the 2 count ins on the title track. What he does then is brilliant.

EDIT:

Oh DRUMMING moment, whoops gotta' learn to read better laugh.gif

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jul 4 2012, 02:18 AM)
I really like the simplified approach that he took on this album, the way it sounds like he's playing with urgency and reckless abandon. I find this especially true on the title track, The Anarchist, Seven Cities of Gold, and Headlong Flight. He has a great groove on this album. Neil is taking fewer flights of fancy and really playing for the songs on this one. What he lacks in flash, he makes up for in honesty, power, pocket-sense, and soul.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jul 4 2012, 01:18 AM)

trink39.gif

Actually, I think my favorite drumming part is just the simple "stick count" on the title track, which he does twice. I don't think he's ever done that on a studio album before.

Hands down its the guitar solo on the title track. I can't believe no one has noticed or posted about this yet. When the solo starts, Neil goes back into the playing the slow 4/4 shuffle part from the "High above the city square" sections. However, if you notice the bass part, Geddy is playing the fast paced 3/4 part from the "You promised every treasure" section! This is the first time they've actually had two different parts at 2 different tempos going on at the same time. Now, I know they can both be counted in that lilting 4/4 tempo technically, but if you listen to the fills they each play, they are entirely devoted to the individual tempo of their own part. It's probably one of the most progressive things they have EVER done, and I challenge anyone hear to try and nail it on the drums in perfect time, with the amazing sense of groove that Neil puts into it.

And for the record, there are amazing displays of mastery (drumming wise) all over this album, it just seems that some of you guys are only looking for flashy fills and patterns. This is probably the best I've ever heard Neil play. Some absolutely mind blowing concepts in here.

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 4 2012, 03:31 PM)
nothing special going on drumming wise on this record. solid rock drumming. the fills are basic. like beginner first year playing drums basic. works for the music though.

wtf.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 4 2012, 10:31 AM)
nothing special going on drumming wise on this record. solid rock drumming. the fills are basic. like beginner first year playing drums basic. works for the music though.

I tend to agree to an extent. From what I've heard there is some great drumming on there, but nothing as stand out as so much of their earlier stuff with flashy drum fills and all that.

One thing I have a hard time with is that I feel the drumming is somewhat burried in the mix and there are plenty of threads complaining about the mix, but that's a compliant I have.

The other is how I listen to the songs. I tend to just try to memorize the most prominent parts of the songs whether it's a bass lead or guitar solo or vocals for that matter. Once I've heard all I feel I can I start to pick the other parts apart, focussing on the guitar, the bass, the drums etc...This can become a long drawn out process and often ends with me losing interest in the album before I've fully digested it. That can explain my feelings for CP through S&A. I'm sure there is decent material on there but I never got it completely memorized like the early stuff.

So it's gonna be a while before I'm gonna be able to do a lot of air drumming to CA.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jul 4 2012, 02:18 AM)

goodpost.gif

Let's hope this shines through on his solos during the tour.

I was listening to The Wreckers today and noticed there's an incredibly smooth high hat sound happening near the middle of the song. I caught my attention because it almost sounded like waves washing on a shore - very cool.

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 4 2012, 09:31 AM)

Fart Testing Troll!!!

The "beginner first year playing" comment robs you of any credibility.

Sorry I bit team.