Let's rehash this topic again

Rush Cocky

What is the youngest age at which you would take your child to see Rush in concert?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is the youngest age at which you would take your child to see Rush in concert?

• 5 or less
    • 13 or older

I got lambasted a few years ago for suggesting that I might take my 6-year-old to see Rush in Alpharetta, GA.

Well.....he'll be 8 by this tour, and I was hoping to draw upon the collective wisdom of Rush fanhood again to ask the proverbial question: how young is too young? In other words, what is the minimum age you would take a child to see the boys in concert, and why?

Thanks in advance for the great responses.

And naturally, I voted 8. laugh.gif

It's really difficult to ask. I have an 11 yo and a 5 yo and I wouldn;t take either. Partially because they don;t care about Rush, partially because there is too big a chance they are going to get bored. They also do not like loud noises.

I would say go for it. But that depends on where your sitting/standing. biggrin.gif Also, if your child is used to the music, atmosphere ect. Does he enjoy Rush? As long as you can make it comfortable for him. I say yes. 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 14 2012, 11:11 AM)
I got lambasted a few years ago for suggesting that I might take my 6-year-old to see Rush in Alpharetta, GA.

Well.....he'll be 8 by this tour, and I was hoping to draw upon the collective wisdom of Rush fanhood again to ask the proverbial question: how young is too young?  In other words, what is the minimum age you would take a child to see the boys in concert, and why?

Thanks in advance for the great responses.

And naturally, I voted 8.  laugh.gif

I took my 6 year old to both legs of the TM tour and we met Geddy and Alex

He still talks about it to this day. He loves their music. He loved the show and it was great.

He can't wait to catch them on the second leg in 2013. He will be 8 by then.

It all depends on your child. You know them better than anyone.

Just make sure you use real ear plugs (the real noise reduction kind not those foam ones) or cans. That is a must.

Edited by Todem

My son has been going to Rush concerts since he was 4 years old on the S&A tour. He just received his vinyl copy of Clockwork Angels and was excited and thrilled. He's also a drummer and Neil Peart is his hero. He can't wait to see them this coming October.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 14 2012, 09:01 PM)
My son has been going to Rush concerts since he was 4 years old on the S&A tour. He just received his vinyl copy of Clockwork Angels and was excited and thrilled. He's also a drummer and Neil Peart is his hero. He can't wait to see them this coming October.

Same here. My kid has been pounding the cans since age 1.5

Got him a TD-9 V-Kit two years ago with all the mesh pads.....he loves it.

Next year I will get him his first real acoustic kit.

You left out one possibility....

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/female-ancestor-2.jpg

I mean, now that chicks are showing up at RUSH concerts, it's possible right?

Edited by ThinkingBig

Outdoors , any age . Indoors, 9 or 10

I took my daughter to the Vapor Trails show when she was 11. She fell asleep so I think I would ask first if a child was even interested in going. I picked 12 years old because that may be the universal "I think I like Rush" age, especially for boys.

I'm taking my 7 year old in November. I'm a little apprehensive about it only because I know the show can be long. But he loves Rush and he's very excited about going. He knows it's Daddy's favorite band, so I want to share that with him before they decide to stop touring.

As with just about everything involving kids, It Depends. smile.gif I've seen older kids (early teens) there who I personally thought were a waste of a ticket; they rarely glanced up from their phones.

And I have seen kindergarten-age kids who will probably be telling their own children about the time "Grandma & Grandpa took your dad to a Rush concert when he was only 5. It was one of the best times of my life!" These are the kids who've memorized every song on the setlist and rock out in such a way as to put lifelong adult fans to shame.

Just one angle to consider: try your damndest to get a seat where little ones can see well. It's frustrating for a kid to not be able to see, and equally frustrating for people behind you when you stand your child on the seat/put him on your shoulders.

Oh - and if your child is still in diapers: PLEASE LEAVE YOUR SEAT TO CHANGE THE DIAPER! Sorry, you might miss a song or 2, but it's part of having kids. (Did not happen to me and nor was it at a Rush show, but it should NEVER happen).

I voted 12. Any younger and they wont not get the meaning of the lyrics. It would be a total waste of time..but then again, they would definitely dig the tunes, for sure!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I took my daughter at 10 and I took my son at eight since he just loved Far Cry and Caravan! After hearing CA he's a full fledge Rush Fan now! Of course this means I have to spend way more $$$ to see RUSH now!

doh.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 16 2012, 12:02 PM)
Oh - and if your child is still in diapers: PLEASE LEAVE YOUR SEAT TO CHANGE THE DIAPER! Sorry, you might miss a song or 2, but it's part of having kids. (Did not happen to me and nor was it at a Rush show, but it should NEVER happen).

Uh... if a kid's still wearing diapers, aren't they too young for a rock concert? I mean, we're talking 2-4 years old, right? Should they really be exposed to the smoke and loud noise? How would you even protect their hearing? confused13.gif

Unless maybe we're talking about families who bring their toddlers and sit in the lawn section, far away from the action. Still doesn't seem like a great idea, though. unsure.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 16 2012, 10:42 PM)
I took my daughter at 10 and I took my son at eight since he just loved Far Cry and Caravan! After hearing CA he's a full fledge Rush Fan now! Of course this means I have to spend way more $$$ to see RUSH now!

doh.gif

Tell me about it...my seven year old wants a drumset cause he can't stop thinking big!!!

Can't wait to jam with him and forget this air guitar stuff!!!!

He's not going to CA tour...don't want to explain what that smell!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 12:12 PM)

Unless maybe we're talking about families who bring their toddlers and sit in the lawn section, far away from the action. Still doesn't seem like a great idea, though. unsure.gif

It's a fine idea wink.gif We did it and had a blast . You can't smoke anywhere now so that is not a prob. I would never bring a small child indoors however , way to loud