I Don't Care What Anybody Says

presto123

CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obviously a joke topic, its not really possible for anyone to believe this is better than 2112, and do we need separate threads flooding the board every time someone has a thought? There is a reactions thread for this already. Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 10 2012, 01:04 PM)
This is obviously a joke topic, its not really possible for anyone to believe this is better than 2112, and do we need separate threads flooding the board every time someone has a thought? There is a reactions thread for this already.

This is obviously a joke post, it's not really possible for anyone to believe this is not better than 2112.

I have to say I like it better than 2112 at this time. 2112 is one of the greats however and stands the test of time, so like previously said, only time will tell where this goes over the next year.

For me, The 2112 Overture, Temples of Syrinx, Lessons, and Twilight Zone are the standouts on the album. Passage to Bangkok, Tears and Something For Nothing are very very good, but Tears, gets skipped a lot, due to its slow, dirge-like qualities, and Something For Nothing is the Geddy Voice of yesteryear, which although, phenomenal, a bit harder to take that his voice from Permanent Waves onward...The rest of 2112 (Discovery, Presentation, Oracle, The Dream, Soliloquy, & The Grand Finale) gets skipped by me almost always...

So if I was on a desert island and had one of these two albums with me, I would have Clockwork Angels...right now at least.

Okay, I ready for the assault that will follow...

laugh.gif

Edited by vital signz

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 04:44 AM)
CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

I agree 100%, while I can give 2112 an occasional listen, it really isn't a strong album in my opinion. I don't think 2112 is even in my top 10, as I think CA, GUP, Hemispheres, PeW, AFTK, and even Caress of Steel are better than 2112. Just my opinion though.

I agree! And you know, I'm pretty sure the band would too.. Neil said he tried to make this his best lyrical effort, and I can't imagine Geddy or Alex would feel any different towards their playing/singing.

I think it's great! A modern day classic for sure

One other thing...

If you are a fan of art at all, I can see a comparison to artist's works...

Look at some of Picasso's earlier works...totally different than where he ended up. Same for Dali, Monet, Rembrandt, hell everyone. The earlier works are distictly excellent and representative of only what that artist does, but the creativity and evolution of the style is a wild and creative ride often ending up with something wondrous to behold.

Rush is like this. I would not put all bands in this light, as so many get old and lazy and just stop developing, playing their old hits over and over again. Geddy, Alex and Neil are true artists and keep growing cerebrally based on the sum of all of their experiences, and sometimes their growth takes them onto an area a lot of people just can't get like Caress of Steel and Vapor Trails, but sometimes you get the 2112's and the Clockwork Angels's...

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 10 2012, 02:31 PM)
Geddy, Alex and Neil are true artists and keep growing cerebrally based on the sum of all of their experiences, and sometimes their growth takes them onto an area a lot of people just can't get like Caress of Steel and Vapor Trails, but sometimes you get the 2112's and the Clockwork Angels's...

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 03:44 AM)

Agreed. CA is better than 2112.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 05:44 AM)

Agreed. There are no clunkers on this record ("Wish Them Well" isn't grabbing me like all the others, but that's okay. *pats it on the head*) There aren't any goofy tracks like "The Twilight Zone" or maudlin Geddy-penned tracks like "Tears."

So. . . while the beast of "2112" the song cannot be denied its longevity and badassery, Clockwork Angels the album, in my opinion, is much better than 2112 the album.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 10 2012, 07:56 AM)
I don't really care for 2112...it's probably near the bottom of my list as far as Rush albums go

Yup. Same here. First four albums are also my least favorite four albums. Sorry for the blaspheme, but we don't all have to admire the exact same things.

One point in this thread I whole-heartedly agree with is that the first 4 albums make up the bottom of my list.

I *respect* the hell out of 2112 and what it did for the band.

Without 2112 we have no Clockwork Angels.

But it's certainly not a favorite album of mine.

With that being said I'm not going to say CA is a better album than 2112 or any other album until 6/1/13.

Give it a year to digest the whole thing.. see what grows and what shrinks.

There is bound to be at least some change after the glow of newness wears off.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 10 2012, 07:04 AM)
This is obviously a joke topic, its not really possible for anyone to believe this is better than 2112, and do we need separate threads flooding the board every time someone has a thought? There is a reactions thread for this already.

Welcome to the RUSH forum.

You should post a poll asking that question, plus you should poll to see if you should poll.

Then follow up with a poll: "what was your favorite poll in recent polls?"

And people should have a specific criteria for voting.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 10 2012, 10:49 AM)
Fair point. A lot of 2112's flip side is crap.

There are also several cringe worthy moments in the song "2112".

It's a very important record in Rush's career and it's a fairly good album. But that's about it. Middle of the road as far as Rush albums go.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 10 2012, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 03:44 AM)
CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif  This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

Agreed. CA is better than 2112.

Kids today, no sense of history.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 04:44 AM)

This won't go well for you.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 10 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 05:44 AM)
CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif  This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

Agreed. There are no clunkers on this record ("Wish Them Well" isn't grabbing me like all the others, but that's okay. *pats it on the head*) There aren't any goofy tracks like "The Twilight Zone" or maudlin Geddy-penned tracks like "Tears."

So. . . while the beast of "2112" the song cannot be denied its longevity and badassery, Clockwork Angels the album, in my opinion, is much better than 2112 the album.

goodpost.gif