lack of comment on current events in CA lyrics

lonelymoon

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 4 2012, 09:54 AM)
They can sing about Gumdrops and Rainbows for all i care, as long as the Music kicks ass

Dude, Rush singing about gumdrops and rainbows would be AWESOME.

Coming to a store near you in 2017....

Rush, Candy Land: the concept album.

We aim to feast... in the temples of syrup! 1022.gif

cool10.gif

Edited by CrossedSignals

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 12:05 PM)
They can sing about Gumdrops and Rainbows for all i care, as long as the Music kicks ass

cool10.gif

I had enough Syrup with S&A thanks laugh.gif

To be honest I don't give a crap about the subject matter of the lyrics. And I especially don't expect lyrics on a particular album to feature specific themes or reflect certain real events or any particular events for that matter...

The music is what counts, the lyrics are like the cherry on the cake and normally I bite through it without noticing it...

Screw this shit about real life kind of lyrics, who the hell wants to hear about that? One of my least favorite things about S&A were the heavy, realistic, dark serious lyrics.

I haven't even heard the new album yet but to me the fact they got away from this is GREAT NEWS. to me. I would rather they get back to singing about rocket ships and elves and people with three eyes!

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 4 2012, 05:51 AM)
On S n A, Neil's lyrics touched on current events such as the war on terror with lines like "From the middle east to the middle west, pray and pass the ammunition."  In the five years since then, we've witnessed paradigm-changing events like the Arab Spring, the election of the first black president, the global economic meltdown, the rise of protests against the 1 percent, rapid advances in communication tech, and environmental disasters like the gulf oil spill and fukushima.  Neil has usually shown the interest and conscience to comment on the major events of his time, but now he has decided to focus the whole album on how some Victorians fancifully (and incorrectly) envisioned the future??  WTF??  What could possibly be of less interest or relevance to his audience.  Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans.  eh.gif

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wpum1h.jpg

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 12:05 PM)

cool10.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 01:05 PM)

cool10.gif

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops? laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 10:05 AM)

cool10.gif

The new Rush album will be a concept album about Skittles called "TASTE THE RAINBOW!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IqKJJN-If0E/Tc68YgHmJRI/AAAAAAAAATQ/15K8QefzPik/s400/youdonttastelikeskittles.png

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 10:05 AM)

cool10.gif

The new Rush album will be a concept album about Skittles called "TASTE THE RAINBOW!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IqKJJN-If0E/Tc68YgHmJRI/AAAAAAAAATQ/15K8QefzPik/s400/youdonttastelikeskittles.png

Yes, Neil is almost done with the lyrics to the 10 minute plus epic "Hey, There's Skittles in There".

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 4 2012, 11:05 AM)

cool10.gif

Just as long as they don't sing about frigging My Little Pony. I, for one, will draw the line at that. tongue.gif

Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:30 AM)
Wow, this guy makes a legitimate point and gets nothing but hate. I guess the only way to be accepted around here is to make another dumb poll like "What brand of toilet paper will you be using using when Clockwork Angels comes out?"

I see what you mean...so many great Rush albums have served as a commentary on the times. We all know Neil is a very worldly, well-read, etc. dude and quite political to boot, so there's still every chance Clockwork Angels WILL have 'socially relevent' lyrics...albeit in a heavily metaphorical / stylized way.

The OP would have been fine, except for this comment:

Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans.

That's thoughtless at best, inflammatory at worst. Or maybe vice-versa.

Edited by Priest of Syrinx

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2012, 10:13 PM)
Not really focused on the wordsmithing just yet. Trying to digest rhythms, riffs, and melodies right now.

+1

I'll worry about lyrics when I have the booklet in my hands.

Right now I'm just digesting the music.

I think it comes down to perspective. It isn't Neil's job to spoon-feed you his ideas, metaphors, and ideology. It's for you to figure out for yourself. I for one love the steampunk theme and it can tie into current events if you have a creative mind, read the book that goes along with it, and analyse it from different perspectives. Think about when Geddy sings the lyrics... is he speaking for Neil or for a person in the steampunk society or a certain character.

To say that "The Way The Wind Blows" is focused on the War on Terror is somewhat correct, but I think it is based more on Religion and it's corruptible nature that pits societies against each other (sorry if anyone is religious here, I know you mean well).

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 4 2012, 05:54 PM)

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 4 2012, 09:26 PM)
To be honest I don't give a crap about the subject matter of the lyrics. And I especially don't expect lyrics on a particular album to feature specific themes or reflect certain real events or any particular events for that matter...

The music is what counts, the lyrics are like the cherry on the cake and normally I bite through it without noticing it...

About sums it up for me, too

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Jun 5 2012, 03:32 AM)
I like how everyone hates S&A because they don't like Neil's take on politics and religion and now that he's going in the opposite direction people complain about that too.

I Hate S&A because it Sucks, there is the difference laugh.gif

Writing very specifically and literally about current events is a double edged sword. It gives a short term immediacy and punch. But it guarantees that the song will rapidly become dated, and limits it's relevance to the specific subject addressed.