Music In All Genres Peaked From 1969-1979.

From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!

• I Totally Agree!!! Humans Peaked Musically Within These Ten Years!
    • I Totally Disagree!! The Seventies Music Sucked!

I truly think that the best music on the planet was made between the years 1969 to 1979. I am sure many of you will not agree with me but hey that's life and that's what being on a forum is all about.

I think every genre of music hit it's apex during this essential timeframe on the earth.

Jazz, blues, funk, prog, country, R&B, disco, and especially ROCK!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerry Rafferty inspired me to write this poll tonight. R.I.P.

I listened to "City To City" and "Night Owl" tonight.

"City To City" came out in 1978. "Night Owl" came out in 1979.

Underrated musician.

Signed,

"Already Gone"

I resoundingly say 77' to 87'- Punk / alternative music was some of the best ever - Rock was pretty good to - Moving Pictures / U2's emergence Edited by alphseeker

I think music peaked in the 2000s and is still peaking!

But hey, I'm young and didn't live through the 70s.... what the heck do I know? laugh.gif Just trying to wave my generation's banner.

Due to how big of a metal fan I am, I will say the 80s produced the best music of any decade. Plus, Rush were also better in that decade then they were in the 70s. The bulk of my favorite bands are from the 80s while Rush, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper are the only ones that came from the 70s that would make my all time favoites list.

Music never peaks, it's constantly evolving. I find myself listenting to songs that I hated when they came out years ago and actually enjoying them.

I do have to agree though, that for rock, the 70's era trumps all.

The quality and general popularity of any genre ebbs and flows over time. True, there might have been a decline in both when it comes to rock music since the 80's, but I disagree that it peaked and that nothing else has been as good since the 70's. I could name dozens of bands between 1980 and today that have put out far superior music to the average band of the 70's.

I've never had an interest in other genres - jazz, blues, country, disco, what-have-you - so I can't speak to them.

I'm almost in agreement, but virtually all of my favorite jazz music was released before 1969.

And I'm not sure if the best blues music arrived during that period either. Earlier decades gave us Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, and so forth.

That said, I'm pretty much in complete agreement on 69-79 being the best rock, country, and R&B.

My big argument of why I consider approx 1966-1978 to be the golden age of music is this:

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Yes, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Rush, The Moody Blues, Genesis, Jethro Tull, David Bowie, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, ELP, The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, CSNY, Cat Stevens, Frank Zappa, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Kinks, Tangerine Dream, Traffic, etc.

Seriously, no other decade or decade and a half can boast that kind of talent and output. [/thread] wink.gif

There's definitely was a lot of great music from the late 60's to late 70's but there's still tons of great bands and musicians today. They're just nowhere near as popular as many of the bands from the "golden age". I'd say that all time periods produced great music, but mainstream music was at its pinnacle in the 70's.

Disagree big time. Grew up in 70s/80s and find the music of the 90s to be my favorite. Still good music being made in 00s and now but overall it is 90s for me.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 28 2012, 09:38 AM)
Music never peaks, it's constantly evolving. I find myself listenting to songs that I hated when they came out years ago and actually enjoying them.

I do have to agree though, that for rock, the 70's era trumps all.

goodpost.gif

Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself. trink39.gif

I think that because much was "said" musically in the 60s and 70s newer rock bands have had to work harder to get noticed and certainly the Prog music scene has upped its game over the past couple of years. For instance, I might not particularly like the Storm Corrosion album but it is certainly different and challenging.

When it boils down to it every era produces a handful of truly memorable bands in each genre, the rest are just filler.

Basically, the old people who are sad that there aren't 20-minute keyboard solos in a lot of music anymore are gonna vote for the first choice. No one is gonna vote for the second choice, because it's stupid. So this thread isn't gonna go anywhere.

The 70's had some legendary music to be sure. However, as a metalhead, I have to say that the metal genre wasn't very developed back then. All you had in the metal world was basically Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and arguably Led Zeppelin. The real boom for me came after the 70's with bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden (technically founded in the 70's), Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool, Nightwish etc. Even Judas Priest didn't release their best album (Painkiller) until the 90's. Therefore, I think every decade has its musical strengths and weaknesses. I have no bias towards any decade.

Well yes and no... I like a lot of recent music, but that music is a continuation of what's been done in the 70's (that "prog" stuff ) but I also like a lot of alternative, electronic, and trip hop music.

So... maybe?