Music In All Genres Peaked From 1969-1979.

From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!

• I Totally Agree!!! Humans Peaked Musically Within These Ten Years!
    • I Totally Disagree!! The Seventies Music Sucked!

QUOTE (beherit @ May 29 2012, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 29 2012, 03:26 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 29 2012, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 29 2012, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 28 2012, 07:52 PM)
Sure, the 80's had lame shit like Huey Lewis and Whitney Houston and Tiffany. But the 70's had REO Speedwagon and Peter Frampton. Every decade has good and bad.

You actually just disproved your argument. I agree that REO Speedwagon and Peter Frampton are not the best, but they're a hell of a lot better than Huey Lewis and Whitney Houston and Tiffany. Even average 70's crap was better than average 80's crap.

What about the Bay City Rollers?

unsure.gif

Hey Pat! It's all about "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBn2ux5vRHk

Dude!

Don't forget about THE SWEET!

Signed,

"FOX ON THE RUN!"

I love this thread!!! Everyone's opinion is great whether old or young!!!

Nothing will touch the Seventies!!! But FUCKK! I'm 44 years young!!

I still buy tons of Hard Rock and Metal in 2012. Just check out Frontiers Records. They sign all of the has been Eighties bands.

THEY ALL SUCK!!!

The Seventies was where it was at!!!!

"All The Young Dudes" who are sadly addicted to modern Radiodead shite and One Direction, I mean One Erection are brainwashed!!!!! LOL!

There is no hope for modern music! Especially with Porcupine Tree calling it quits!!

We are all brainwashed zombies. Buying up side band projects containing musicians who we totally love and hero worship!

We are all fuckked up in the head.

The quality of music is going downhill!!! I love how all the masses are addicted to their iPods, iPads, iMacs, iSucks, and iFucks!

The digital age has ruined rock and roll!!

Many of you think that compact discs will go out of print and will go obsolete! WELL YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!

Heck even VINYL is very HOT right now!! The record companies are repressing everything in HOT 180 VIRGIN VINYL!!!!!

I certainly hope you young prog snobs who think you know everything about music back your shit up on a hard drive.

Fukk that shit man.

I have everything on aluminum and gold cd.

My house is like that fukking library in "The Twilight Zone" starring Burgess Meredith! Glad I don't need glasses for my ears! laugh.gif

Could you "Imagine" if I suddenly became deaf?

I would die.

Love and Peace Forever,

John Lennon

I have a strong feeling you post while under the influence.

The beer was flowing last night but I write this way sober too! tongue.gif

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ May 29 2012, 03:01 PM)
What if you're a rap fan? A grunge fan?

You should be beaten about the face and neck ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 29 2012, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ May 29 2012, 03:01 PM)
What if you're a rap fan?  A grunge fan?

You should be beaten about the face and neck ?

Why'd you leave disco out of his quote? Disco is the worst of all three.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 29 2012, 06:40 PM)
Different strokes I guess. If anything, hip-hop has more to do with the Bronx than the Village People, but whatever.

I know all about the whole BX/Hiphop thing , never my bag

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 29 2012, 09:54 AM)
In an attempt to get some more objective data, I went to rateyourmusic.com, a very popular site where anyone can rate any album from 0.5 to 5 stars (essentially 1-10). I found the top 100 rated albums of all time and made a chart based on groupings of years. Each album had thousands, often tens of thousands of people voting on them.

I do understand that this system is somewhat weighted towards albums that get the most amounts of votes (which is fair, as an album with a high rating, but only 8 people voting on it, shouldn't be considered in the same league as an album with the same rating, but 8,000 people voting on it). Still, albums that are older have had the most time to get more exposure, but that said, there are TONS of reviews for more modern music, as a lot of young people use the site, so albums from the past 20 years have a more than fair shot of getting on this list, providing of course they're rated highly enough.

Also, this is just the top 100. If I did the top 1,000 (would take too much time), I know the post-70's would make a greater showing. Still, even though it's far from a perfect system, I think it gives a more than adequate view of general trends and opinions of what's considered the best music of all time by the general public:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/musicgraph.jpg

As you can see, the highest rated albums of all time tend to be from 1965-1974, which accounts for about 60% of everything. If you include all the 60's and 70's, that's 70% of everything.

1970-1974 got 25 votes, which is the same total of 1985-2012 COMBINED! That's a 5-year span against a 28-year span. 1965-1969 has about as many votes as 1975-2012, or a 5-year span against a 39-year span. Says a lot, doesn't it?

The full stats are:

1959 - 2
1960-1964 - 3
1965-1969 - 34
1970-1974 - 25
1975-1979 - 8
1980-1984 - 3
1985-1989 - 7
1990-1994 - 7
1995-1999 - 7
2000-2004 - 3
2005-2009 - 1
2010-2012 - 0

Sorry Goobs, this is LOL big time. Got any stats on which color is best?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 29 2012, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 29 2012, 09:54 AM)
In an attempt to get some more objective data, I went to rateyourmusic.com, a very popular site where anyone can rate any album from 0.5 to 5 stars (essentially 1-10).  I found the top 100 rated albums of all time and made a chart based on groupings of years.  Each album had thousands, often tens of thousands of people voting on them.

I do understand that this system is somewhat weighted towards albums that get the most amounts of votes (which is fair, as an album with a high rating, but only 8 people voting on it, shouldn't be considered in the same league as an album with the same rating, but 8,000 people voting on it).  Still, albums that are older have had the most time to get more exposure, but that said, there are TONS of reviews for more modern music, as a lot of young people use the site, so albums from the past 20 years have a more than fair shot of getting on this list, providing of course they're rated highly enough. 

Also, this is just the top 100.  If I did the top 1,000 (would take too much time), I know the post-70's would make a greater showing.  Still, even though it's far from a perfect system, I think it gives a more than adequate view of general trends and opinions of what's considered the best music of all time by the general public:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/musicgraph.jpg

As you can see, the highest rated albums of all time tend to be from 1965-1974, which accounts for about 60% of everything.  If you include all the 60's and 70's, that's 70% of everything.

1970-1974 got 25 votes, which is the same total of 1985-2012 COMBINED!  That's a 5-year span against a 28-year span.  1965-1969 has about as many votes as 1975-2012, or a 5-year span against a 39-year span.  Says a lot, doesn't it?

The full stats are:

1959 - 2
1960-1964 - 3
1965-1969 - 34
1970-1974 - 25
1975-1979 - 8
1980-1984 - 3
1985-1989 - 7
1990-1994 - 7
1995-1999 - 7
2000-2004 - 3
2005-2009 - 1
2010-2012 - 0

Sorry Goobs, this is LOL big time. Got any stats on which color is best?

Just to be clear, I want to hear why RushGoober feels the way he does but I don't care about these stats from people I don;t know. What is it about your favorite era that's better?

As mentioned earlier, my fave is 90s. I gre up on 70s/80s music including the greats like Beatles, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Priest, Maiden, etc... But, overall, the quality of the songs were better overall in the 90s to me. One of the biggest problem I have with music before the 90s is the incredible boring drumming on most of the music. Take Priest for example, listening to them now is difficult because the songs just plod. 90s were more about the songs and much more interesting percussion.

I think we look at music from that era through the prism of what limited content was available. Quite simply the size of the bucket of artists pales in comparison to what we have now. AND consider the fact that what was being produced was experiencing a technological explosion of experimentation and the lifting of corporate censorship and the expansion of artistic freedoms that were not common in the decades prior

I think there are a ton of talented artists out there now, but the sheer quantity is daunting and good talent is drowned out by the machine's desire to crank out numbers as fast as possible. Lowest common denominator wins so we get Gaga, Beiber and crap like Lil Kim.

Im an old guy so I have my generational experiences, but trust me, great music is being made today.

Why is anyone in their right mind trying to seriously persuade Rushgoober that the 70s wasn't the best decade for music, the man is a ridiculous prog-hippy drone, of course he won't be swayed by a few Huey Lewis and the News hits! laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ May 29 2012, 07:59 PM)
I think we look at music from that era through the prism of what limited content was available. Quite simply the size of the bucket of artists pales in comparison to what we have now. AND consider the fact that what was being produced was experiencing a technological explosion of experimentation and the lifting of corporate censorship and the expansion of artistic freedoms that were not common in the decades prior

I think there are a ton of talented artists out there now, but the sheer quantity is daunting and good talent is drowned out by the machine's desire to crank out numbers as fast as possible. Lowest common denominator wins so we get Gaga, Beiber and crap like Lil Kim.

Im an old guy so I have my generational experiences, but trust me, great music is being made today.

good f*ckin' postin