Music In All Genres Peaked From 1969-1979.

From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!

• I Totally Agree!!! Humans Peaked Musically Within These Ten Years!
    • I Totally Disagree!! The Seventies Music Sucked!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted pro '70s, but the poll was too polar. I think music peaked in many genres well into the '80s. But thats coming from someone born in '73. From '83 on I've been absorbed with music, so I have a bias towards some of the '80s stuff.

For the type(s) of music I like, you'd have to extend the timeframe from the early 60's through the mid-80's. There was some stuff I liked in the 90's, but nothing has set me on fire since the 80's (well, Rush, for example, is a notable exception). Don't care for the 50's, either - that sock-hoppy early rock is not my bag.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 29 2012, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 29 2012, 04:34 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 29 2012, 01:26 AM)
The digital age has ruined rock and roll!!

It must be a miserable time to be a rock-n-roller, but I can tell you that right now is an AMAZING time to be an electronic musician and fan. yes.gif

If anything, this is the best time to be a rocker. With the internet, bands can get exposure like they never before could.

Good point. The playing field has been leveled greatly in the sense that artists no longer have to rely on record companies for production, distribution, or promotion.... Wow. It looks like record companies are pretty pointless these days.

That said, big money is still fueling the music industry, and huge record conglomerates create and promote artists to earn a profit. But in terms of underground and independent music, it's an incredibly exciting time.

Back when rock was my favorite genre (and prog rock my favorite subgenre), I would have agreed with the OP, and said that YES, the 70s were the pinnacle of music. But since my tastes starting moving further and further away from rock (and prog rock), I've grown less and less attached to the 70s. I love new wave, synthpop, hip hop, electroclash, old-school dubstep, house, trance, and electronic music of all kinds, and so the 70s simply aren't as significant for me as they once were.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 29 2012, 10:07 PM)
Back when rock was my favorite genre (and prog rock my favorite subgenre), I would have agreed with the OP, and said that YES, the 70s were the pinnacle of music. But since my tastes starting moving further and further away from rock (and prog rock), I've grown less and less attached to the 70s. I love new wave, synthpop, hip hop, electroclash, old-school dubstep, house, trance, and electronic music of all kinds, and so the 70s simply aren't as significant for me as they once were.

"ROCK IS DEAD!"

Signed,

TENACIOUS D

I never really thought that this thread was going to take off like a "JET AIRLINER" but it did! Praise to Steve Miller!!

Anyway I'm glad that my Tenacious D thread was a Bomb on this fantastic Prog Snob Hip Hop Rap Forum!! LOL! What a joke!!

People hate on Jack Black and Kyle Gass! Who gives a fukk about Jack's ultra liberal ways and acting shite career Jack can play that fukking guitar. So can Kyle.

Well since the Seventies are long gone and "ROCK IS DEAD" in 2012. (yet all of you young Rush fanbois are masturbating to the new Rush single: "Suck My Headlong Flight." It's about time to embrace the METAL. Embrace the ROCK because like Tenacious D would say..... IT'S OVER! ROCK AND ROLL IS DEAD!!!!!!!

I dedicate this video to all of the Seventies Rock Haters on this Forum.

I love Steven Wilson too but even this guy needs to take a fukking hike for terminating Porcupine D!

TENACIOUS TREE!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/21..._n_1533422.html

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 28 2012, 02:31 AM)
I agree somewhat, but I would say it's more like 1966-1978 - 95% of the music I own is from these years. wub.gif

Every successive decade post-70's has gone down in quality IMHO...

Agree with Goobs, but will narrow it down slightly to 1967- 1975. For me, this would be for Rock-n-Roll as I'm certainly not well versed on other genres to make any sort of judgement. I think the rise of Disco in the late 70s made too much of an influence and 'ended' the Golden Era.

With a few exceptions, every band that I listen to started off in the period (or just before this period with their best efforts occuring during this period). Those exceptions sound like bands that were from this era and would be considered 'old school'.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 30 2012, 05:46 AM)
Obviously it's all subjective, but I still don't see artists today in that same league except every once in awhile. 

Saying people can come up with a similarly significant list in the rap/hip hop world is fine, but it's pretty apples and oranges.  Besides the genres being radically different, those kind of artists so often seem very fly by night, very flavor of the month and they're gone.  But go ahead and compare a rap artist or other artists of today to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Dylan if you need to.  I've never seen a list of current artists that could come close.

That in itself is subjective. You don't think Jay-Z is as good as Yes or the Moody Blues. Poll people who visit classic rock or progressive rock websites and I'm sure you'd get overwhelming support for that view. I'm in downtown Boston right now. If I walk from my office to the nearest subway, and ask the first 100 people I encounter what they think, I bet I'd get a much different result.

Even easier, I could ask my wife, who is my age. Other than U2 or the Beastie Boys, she pretty much listens to whatever is in the top 40. Play Sticky Fingers for her and she'd tell you it stinks.

There's nothing wrong with saying you think music peaked during that time period. I don't think you can say its an objective fact that all music did.

Hell, even two of my favorite bands that were active during that time period, Rush and Black Sabbath, peaked from 1980 to 1982. smile.gif

QUOTE (t2s @ May 28 2012, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 28 2012, 07:48 PM)
Also, to call the 1980's a step backwards is ridiculous.

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif

One step back is indeed rediculous. It was more like 5 or 6.

Of course, that is strictly my opinion.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ May 30 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (t2s @ May 28 2012, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 28 2012, 07:48 PM)
Also, to call the 1980's a step backwards is ridiculous.

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif

One step back is indeed rediculous. It was more like 5 or 6.

Of course, that is strictly my opinion.

I hear ya brother, I cried when Grand Funk broke up. Man, I miss the good old days of music.

Luckily I can still catch Journey at the county fair from time to time and relive my glory days!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 30 2012, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 29 2012, 10:07 PM)

"ROCK IS DEAD!"

Signed,

TENACIOUS D

I never really thought that this thread was going to take off like a "JET AIRLINER" but it did! Praise to Steve Miller!!

Anyway I'm glad that my Tenacious D thread was a Bomb on this fantastic Prog Snob Hip Hop Rap Forum!! LOL! What a joke!!

People hate on Jack Black and Kyle Gass! Who gives a fukk about Jack's ultra liberal ways and acting shite career Jack can play that fukking guitar. So can Kyle.

Well since the Seventies are long gone and "ROCK IS DEAD" in 2012. (yet all of you young Rush fanbois are masturbating to the new Rush single: "Suck My Headlong Flight." It's about time to embrace the METAL. Embrace the ROCK because like Tenacious D would say..... IT'S OVER! ROCK AND ROLL IS DEAD!!!!!!!

I dedicate this video to all of the Seventies Rock Haters on this Forum.

I love Steven Wilson too but even this guy needs to take a fukking hike for terminating Porcupine D!

TENACIOUS TREE!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/21..._n_1533422.html

hahaha what the f**k is wrong with you

As a big fan of punk, post punk, and alternative, IMHO the peak of music started around 1978 and lasted until about 1994. Coincidentally, the peak of Rush also falls in there too (1978 - 1985).

QUOTE (beherit @ May 30 2012, 12:59 PM)
come on brother

you can't tell me you don't miss the good old 20 minute keyboard solos of yesteryear

Keyboard solos? laugh.gif

beherit, your posts in this thread are hilarious and insightful laugh.gif Keep 'em comin'....

For me, what it comes down to is that in the 70s, music was a players' world. Now it is a producers' world.