Music In All Genres Peaked From 1969-1979.

From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. From The Years 1969 To 1979 Contained The Greatest Music Of All Time! Agree Or Disagree!

• I Totally Agree!!! Humans Peaked Musically Within These Ten Years!
    • I Totally Disagree!! The Seventies Music Sucked!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 28 2012, 02:32 PM)
As a progster and a classic rock fan...

YES. There is no question.

Heck even as a mainstream/pop fan. That's one reason I started the 70's pop thread. Even though it's pop they are well written songs with real musicians. I miss that. Where is the good pop of today? It's all cookie cutter auto-tune bullshit. Probably have to look at the country charts to find the real pop of today. Have very little in rock that interests me today either. Where is the next Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Journey, Queen?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2012, 08:33 PM)
There's a very old man in this thread and he knows who he is!

ph34r.gif

old.gif

Show some respect you whippersnapper.

The 40s were the true era of innovation, we had such edgy performers as Vera Lynn, Francis Albert Sinatra, Frankie Laine and, of course, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 28 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2012, 08:33 PM)
There's a very old man in this thread and he knows who he is!

ph34r.gif

old.gif

Show some respect you whippersnapper.

The 40s were the true era of innovation, we had such edgy performers as Vera Lynn, Francis Albert Sinatra, Frankie Laine and, of course, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

laugh.gif

Aye and the legendary Val Doonican...

cool10.gif

Music never peaked. It's always constantly evolving and going in different directions. New sounds and genres constantly emerging. Just because people look simply to the mainstream scene, it doesn't mean all music is like that. There is a lot to explore in all decades.

People are always gonna say that music during the time they grew up is great and everything afterwards is crap and can never match up. 20 years from now, my generation will most likely view the 2000/2010's as amazing and view music in the future as "crap." It's a never ending cycle and comes down to nostalgia and what you know.

I enjoy a variety forms of music from all decades, particularly from the 50's to now (although I have a soft spot for other stuff beforehand.) I love the 70s and a lot of advancements were made, but it's not when music peaked. The 80s is my favorite decade of music, and I still wouldn't say that's the peak.

I know I'm in the minority holding this opinion, and it's a rare view, but that's how I feel. I like to keep an open mind to music and I'm curious to what else might come. smile.gif

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 28 2012, 02:54 PM)
People are always gonna say that music during the time they grew up is great and everything afterwards is crap and can never match up. 20 years from now, my generation will most likely view the 2000/2010's as amazing and view music in the future as "crap." It's a never ending cycle and comes down to nostalgia and what you know.

I disagree, or at least I don't fit into your description. I grew up in the 80's, somewhat at the end of the 70's, but I really didn't start paying attention to current music until the beginning of the 80's. My absolute favorite music is from the mid 60's to the mid to late 70's, and it's NOT what I grew up with - I was alive for a good part of that, but not listening to it at the time. In fact, It wasn't until the mid to late 80's that I started really getting into that era

I like some music from the 80's, 90's and today, but mostly I really love that vintage stuff, and it's not because it was the music of my formative years, but because it's the music I truly judge to be the best.

Sure there's great stuff out there all the time, but back then there was a LOT more of it.

Edited by rushgoober

This his a very hard poll to respond to due to the way its worded. 70's music did not suck (far from it) but at the same time its hard to say that humanity peaked musically during that decade. Very broad statement.

Whats more is that the OP tosses in a bunch of musical categories that I do not like all that much (and hence I try to avoid listening to) so its even harder to go one way or the other. Plus, peaked how? Greatest level of creativity? Songs with greatest social impact? Greatest number of songs that will be remembered and listened to in, say, 200 years?

As somebody who is not a musician (you can guess what I do for a living) I have to go by what I enjoy the most. For me that would be the hair metal and hard rock of the 80's.

Took the disagree option.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 28 2012, 04:54 PM)
Music never peaked. It's always constantly evolving and going in different directions. New sounds and genres constantly emerging. Just because people look simply to the mainstream scene, it doesn't mean all music is like that. There is a lot to explore in all decades.

I enjoy a variety forms of music from all decades, particularly from the 50's to now (although I have a soft spot for other stuff beforehand.) I love the 70s and a lot of advancements were made, but it's not when music peaked. The 80s is my favorite decade of music, and I still wouldn't say that's the peak.

I know I'm in the minority holding this opinion, and it's a rare view, but that's how I feel. I like to keep an open mind to music and I'm curious to what else might come. smile.gif

Smartest post in the thread. trink38.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 28 2012, 08:38 AM)
Music never peaks, it's constantly evolving. I find myself listenting to songs that I hated when they came out years ago and actually enjoying them.

I entered the thread without reading anything and wrote my own opinions. After I posted, I read through the entire thread and realized you echoed my exact points beforehand.

goodpost.gif

Great minds think alike! smile.gif

A friend of mine had an interesting analogy regarding music in each decade. Music in the 60s and 70s went 2 steps forward, the 80s went a step backward, the 90s went 2 steps forward, and the 2000s went a step backwards. In other words, each decade had ups and downs; but the 80s and 2000s had a bit more downs than the 60s, 70s and 90s had.

I wouldn't say music in all genres peaked from 1969-1979 because there were some great bands and music scenes that didn't develop fully or at all till after that 10 year period, such as the BNWOHM, Thrash Metal, Shoegaze, etc. Like some people mentioned earlier, I do agree that music never peaks and that we're constantly finding music that appeals us each decade (albeit more difficult as the year go by), but in terms of the "classical period" for album oriented music, for me personally, it started off with records like Sgt. Pepper, Piper at the Gates of Down, and Are You Experienced? (1967) and ended around the Punk era (late 70s).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 28 2012, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 28 2012, 02:54 PM)

I disagree, or at least I don't fit into your description. I grew up in the 80's, somewhat at the end of the 70's, but I really didn't start paying attention to current music until the beginning of the 80's. My absolute favorite music is from the mid 60's to the mid to late 70's, and it's NOT what I grew up with - I was alive for a good part of that, but not listening to it at the time. In fact, It wasn't until the mid to late 80's that I started really getting into that era

I like some music from the 80's, 90's and today, but mostly I really love that vintage stuff, and it's not because it was the music of my formative years, but because it's the music I truly judge to be the best.

Sure there's great stuff out there all the time, but back then there was a LOT more of it.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

I am 15 and do you think I like cookie-cutter pop crap? no.gif

I was listening to

earlier (a friend recommended it) and I didn't think it was too bad.

Then I realized it was just Peter Gabriel v2.0. sad.gif

confused13.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (beherit @ May 28 2012, 10:46 PM)
Oh, Tommy Sawyer. We are very impressed. 15 and you like old music.

eyesre4.gif

I was simply agreeing with Rushgoober and using myself as an example that not everyone loves the music they grew up with.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 28 2012, 10:52 PM)
Sure, the 80's had lame shit like Huey Lewis and Whitney Houston and Tiffany. But the 70's had REO Speedwagon and Peter Frampton. Every decade has good and bad.

yes.gif Good point.

But not only did the 80's have the studio breakthroughs made by artists like Kate Bush, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, but it was also the coming to prominence of the idea of self-produced music, which inspires artists to this day. Bands like Black Flag, Husker Du, and the Minutemen made music on their own terms and they released albums how they wanted to. The 80's was also when heavy metal came to prominence.

But not only did the 80's have the studio breakthroughs made by artists like Kate Bush, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, but it was also the coming to prominence of the idea of self-produced music, which inspires artists to this day. Bands like Black Flag, Husker Du, and the Minutemen made music on their own terms and they released albums how they wanted to. The 80's was also when heavy metal came to prominence.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 28 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ May 28 2012, 10:54 PM)
...Genesis' 'Invisible Touch' ... best albums from any era

spit6ph.gif

Say what you will, but that album is a perfect mix of the "prog" and pop sensibilities, you can't tell me that a song like Domino isn't prog.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 28 2012, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ May 28 2012, 10:54 PM)
...Genesis' 'Invisible Touch' ... best albums from any era

spit6ph.gif

Yeah, I gotta admit I'm not a fan of the poppier Genesis albums. But the other two albums he mentioned are classics.