Great new Alex interview!

Joesaracer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The K Man @ May 25 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ May 25 2012, 09:56 AM)
I timed that well. Just read the interview, clicked the link again to get a quote I wanted to post about, and the link doesn't work anymore!  ph34r.gif

I'll soldier on without the exact quote. Alex says at some point that they decided no instrumentals would be on this album, something they haven't done for a very long time. Vapor Trails? That didn't have an instrumental, and it certainly wasn't a very long time ago confused13.gif

Alex has a goofy memory sometimes. Probably because he doesn't obsess over his own back catalogue like many of their fans do. laugh.gif

You know this how?

I timed that well. Just read the interview, clicked the link again to get a quote I wanted to post about, and the link doesn't work anymore! ph34r.gif

I'll soldier on without the exact quote. Alex says at some point that they decided no instrumentals would be on this album, something they haven't done for a very long time. Vapor Trails? That didn't have an instrumental, and it certainly wasn't a very long time ago confused13.gif

Well Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels are the only albums with no instrumental since the 80s (Presto)...

I timed that well. Just read the interview, clicked the link again to get a quote I wanted to post about, and the link doesn't work anymore! ph34r.gif

Alex has clearly removed VT from his memory as if it never existed. That there are songs from it he plays live is a great mystery.

Great interview and preview. This is going to be a good album!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 26 2012, 06:19 AM)
While hearing Alex's perspective is mildly more interesting than the critics, these track by track reviews are getting boring. BRING ON THE ALBUM ALREADY!

Yeah before someone comes up with what 2.gif attire will you be wearing while listening to CA thread!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ May 25 2012, 06:45 AM)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...hya8qa6XtpLgW9g

This makes the wait nearly unbearable

EDIT: Come on, snowdog2112, pick up your game! biggrin.gif

Great read, my takeaway is that there's a lot of new Rush on this record -- moods, sounds, we've never heard before, but may remind of something we can't quite place.

And, I like the bit about recording the sounds of L.A. outside his hotel room.

From the track 'Seven Cities Of Gold'.

"And then we had what we call our 'good six minutes.' That's all you need, a good six minutes a day. From there, the song took off. We started with the whole feedback thing, which is pretty cool. The idea was to do something from the hip and get real snarky and strident.

Geddy Lee mentioned in 'The Game Of Snakes & Arrows Video Documentary' extra on the 'Snakes & Arrows' Musical Video Interactive CD/DVD album that "Far Cry" was also written in an inspirational moment within a 'good six minutes'.

Ben Mink coined the phrase according to Geddy.

I emailed Ben Mink in regards to this and he replied with the following:

"Yeah I think the phrase was a joke comment I made while writing "Runaway Train" with Geddy...it pretty much wrote itself in six minutes and then it became a phrase for a creative moment...everyone needs a good six minutes..."

Edited by RushFanForever

For me personally, this is the only opinion that matters. I love hearing specifically what the band is trying to get across. Though I agree, the wait is getting unbearable...