A Farewell To Kings vs. Hemispheres

CrossedSignals

Which album do you prefer? Kings or 'Spheres??  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer? Kings or 'Spheres??

• A Farewell To Kings by a wide margin
    • A Farewell To Kings by a slim margin
    • I like them both equally
    • Hemispheres by a slim margin
    • Hemispheres by a wide margin
    • I don't like either album

Previously on Face-Off, VT and S&A did battle in the Ring of Fiery Face-Off Doom, with S&A prevailing 32-23. This week, bear witness to another worthy matchup: A Farewell to Kings vs. Hemispheres. These two classic albums are fearsome and mighty opponents, but a single champion has yet to arise. UNTIL NOW!

Let the games commence! 1287.gif

http://ring-side.webs.com/A-boxing-ring-001.jpg

* DING DING DING *

You should have put AFTK vs VT and Hemispheres vs S&A, it would have made the choice(s) so much easier.

I listen to Hemispheres far more often, and while I think Hemi is strong all the way through, AFTK has two songs (Cinderella Man and Cygnus) I really don't care for. So I guess I'll say Hemi by a wide margin. I do love the first three tracks on Kings, though.

Hemsipheres by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong AFTK is great, but Hemispheres is probably their best album with every song a monster killer.

AFTK has the absolutely incredible AFTK, Xanadu and CTTH, but Madrigal and Cinderella Man are merely great songs (MERELY GREAT - HAH!). Cygnus X-1 has some great parts, but also some weaker parts (the narration at the beginning and the screaming at the end).

In the end it's perfect vs. almost perfect - AFTK would maybe get a 9/10 from me, but Hemispheres is more like 13/10!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 01:49 PM)

Don't get me wrong AFTK is great, but Hemispheres is probably their best album with every song a monster killer.

AFTK has the absolutely incredible AFTK, Xanadu and CTTH, but Madrigal and Cinderella Man are merely great songs (MERELY GREAT - HAH!). Cygnus X-1 has some great parts, but also some weaker parts (the narration at the beginning and the screaming at the end).

In the end it's perfect vs. almost perfect - AFTK would maybe get a 9/10 from me, but Hemispheres is more like 13/10!

Cinderella Man is one of my favourite Rush songs, it's underrated and comments like yours prove that.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2012, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 01:49 PM)

AFTK has the absolutely incredible AFTK, Xanadu and CTTH, but Madrigal and Cinderella Man are merely great songs (MERELY GREAT - HAH!).  Cygnus X-1 has some great parts, but also some weaker parts (the narration at the beginning and the screaming at the end).

Cinderella Man is one of my favourite Rush songs, it's underrated and comments like yours prove that.

It really is. Love Ged's bass in this one. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 12:49 PM)

That's pretty much what I think. Hemispheres by a wide margin and that's considering that AFTK is stellar. Hemispheres is just that much greater.

AFTK by a slim margin. The title track, Xanadu, and Cygnus are in my top five so I call it my favorite album, but really, both of these albums are just the pinnacle of music for me. Love 'em almost equally.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ May 11 2012, 12:52 PM)
Hemispheres by a slim margin for me. Very close, but La Villa tips it Hemispheres' way 1022.gif

Good point.

I didn't consider that.

Can I change my vote?

No, wait... Closer to the Heart packs a lot of rock juice into 2:53...

Hmmm. Doh!

I remember some magazine a couple of years ago (Classic Rock?) had a prog special, and it listed their top 40 prog albums. AFTK was like #6 or so. I couldn't understand why. Maybe it was just because of Xanadu. Similarly, REALLY high on the list was Foxtrot, and I guess with that it was because of Supper's Ready. Really though, Hemispheres is MUCH better than AFTK, and Selling England is MUCH better than Foxtrot when taking the entire albums into consideration.

for me, Hemispheres is the greatest album put forth by humans...

its the album that changed my young life

Hemispheres has aged quite well and the sound of Alex Lifesons guitar is awesome, and although Cygnus does repeat a bit, there's enough to keep it interesting.AFTK hasn't aged as well IMO but still is a classic.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 05:58 PM)
I remember some magazine a couple of years ago (Classic Rock?) had a prog special, and it listed their top 40 prog albums. AFTK was like #6 or so. I couldn't understand why. Maybe it was just because of Xanadu. Similarly, REALLY high on the list was Foxtrot, and I guess with that it was because of Supper's Ready. Really though, Hemispheres is MUCH better than AFTK, and Selling England is MUCH better than Foxtrot when taking the entire albums into consideration.

Seems like you feel the need to narrow everything down to one album, then one song. I suppose you have a favourite RUSH chord and favorite RUSH musical note...

tongue.gif