A Farewell To Kings vs. Hemispheres

CrossedSignals

Which album do you prefer? Kings or 'Spheres??  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer? Kings or 'Spheres??

• A Farewell To Kings by a wide margin
    • A Farewell To Kings by a slim margin
    • I like them both equally
    • Hemispheres by a slim margin
    • Hemispheres by a wide margin
    • I don't like either album

I went with AFTK by a slim margin. I think Hemisphere's is very good but i've never seen it as the best thing ever like so many others seem to. The title track and La Villa are awesome and two of their best songs. Circumstances is good and The Trees is just OK. Musically the song is good but the rediculous lyrics bring it down for me.

I find myself listening to AFTK more often. It's easily my most listened to Rush album from the 70s. The album is great all the way through and I don't think there's a weak spot on it at all. The title track and Xanadu is my favorite opening two songs on any Rush album and possibly on any album i've ever heard. The album is already perfect after the first two songs. While CTTH has been overplayed through the years the song is very good lyrically. I love Cinderella Man and am really confused when I read on here that there are those who don't like it. It has a great riff and lyrically it fits in perfectly with the rest of the album and what Rush's image was back at that time. Madrigal is a nice short enjoyable song with very good lyrics. I would love to see Geddy and Alex do it acoustic together live. Cygnus X-1 is great musically and the Star Wars geek in me loves the space travel themed lyrics.

Now that I wrote all that maybe I should've voted for AFTK by a wide margin.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2012, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 05:58 PM)
I remember some magazine a couple of years ago (Classic Rock?) had a prog special, and it listed their top 40 prog albums.  AFTK was like #6 or so.  I couldn't understand why.  Maybe it was just because of Xanadu.  Similarly, REALLY high on the list was Foxtrot, and I guess with that it was because of Supper's Ready.  Really though, Hemispheres is MUCH better than AFTK, and Selling England is MUCH better than Foxtrot when taking the entire albums into consideration.

Seems like you feel the need to narrow everything down to one album, then one song. I suppose you have a favourite RUSH chord and favorite RUSH musical note...

tongue.gif

The opening moog blast to Tom Sawyer. wub.gif

AFTK.

I love the first 5 minutes of Xanadu, with the thrusting build ups in the opening instrumentals, it is a crunchingly beautiful song with a fantastic storyline.

I really like the space epic story of Cygnus I and find myself at random times breaking out into

"On my ship, the 'Rocinante'

Wheeling through the galaxies,

Headed for the heart of Cygnus

Headlong into mystery"

AFTK, CM, and Madrigal are entirely palatable and don't really affect anything either way. I love Geddy's voice in all three, strong and not strained. There are a few places in Circumstances where he sounds stretched painfully thin. Although I love his vocals in The Trees.

Having one radio friendly cut in Closer to the Heart is not exactly a bad thing either.

Of course, Book II and La Villa are amazing and there is no good justification for not having them in first place instead. Really a very tough call.

Hemispheres by a wide margin. And, like many have already said, that's something considering that AFTK is such a great album - that means Hemispheres is phenomenal. It's near perfection vs. sublime perfection. wub.gif

I Listen to both equally, almost like a double album. The way they seem to just flow so perfectly together, and also how A farewell to Kings and A Farewell to Things (last part in La Villa Strangiato) kind of book end the Albums. I really can't listen to one with out the other. But Hemispheres is the real standout.

Every song on Hemispheres is such a Heavy Hitter, and Hemispheres is such a perfect Album.

AFTK by a slimmest of margins. Both represent Rush entering the pinnacle of their career.

Well, it looks like Hemispheres defeated AFTKings handily, 27-14.

I had no idea it would win by such a wide margin.... I thought this would be a more intense matchup. Of course, I'm not complaining. smile.gif I think Hemispheres is by far the better album.... Rush's first real musical gem. It's so incredibly consistent and hard-rocking all the way through. 1022.gif

Hemispheres by a slim margin. AFTK contains my favorite Rush song, along with some other awesome ones as well, but Hemispheres from start to finish, is completely flawless. "Cinderella Man" and "Madrigal" are good not great songs, which prevents me from voting for AFTK.