is headlong flight a farewell song

limbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (limbo @ Apr 19 2012, 07:51 AM)
after watching the video of the song on the rush web site it seems like maybe.

I'm so against thinking about the farewell ideas, especially since Rush themselves have shot down that idea throughout their careers.

That said, I can't help but admit I had that twinge of thought with the video/lyrics.

I actually sort of got that feeling a bit after watching the official video on Rush.com.

It definitely sounds like Neil is reminiscing on his career and life with Rush. You know..."wishing he could live it all again..."

But who knows really? Like I mentioned on another thread yesterday, I just hope that between an awesome record and hopefully a great and successful tour this fall, that it all motivates and re-energizes them...and makes them realize that they still have something left in the tank for at least one more album after CA.

Here's hoping! 1022.gif

yep.. it's a farewell song alright!

at least its the protagonist in the story saying farewell to whatever situation he was in leading up to it.

as for the band? who knows.

They're pushing 60... they've earned whatever choices they make after this album/tour.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 19 2012, 07:56 AM)
yep.. it's a farewell song alright!

at least its the protagonist in the story saying farewell to whatever situation he was in leading up to it.

as for the band? who knows.
They're pushing 60... they've earned whatever choices they make after this album/tour.

definitely, i was not criticizing them at all.

still sucks to see it happen if this is the case

Neil explicitly stated that the lyrics were inspired by the death of Freddie Gruber. He also said that he didn't want to live his life again.

I just really hope it's not a farewell. It kicks so much ass. They still got it.

I think it really falls back onto something Geddy said in an interview in 2000 about knowing there was that one great song/album inside him and the quest to let it out.

Will CA be that album for them? Only time will tell.

I thought this was a 'Hello we're Rush and we can still kick your ass' kind of song. And it's part of the CA story so I don't know how you can get that it's some kind of Rush farewell tune. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 19 2012, 08:01 AM)
I just really hope it's not a farewell. It kicks so much ass. They still got it.

I agree. In a sense, they're just getting started! laugh.gif They've got such a new life with Nick.

But the album itself got me thinking this could be a Swan Song. Think of what they've done with CA: heavy, hard-rocking, progressive, a concept album... it's like they're giving us core fans everything we've always wanted. Why? Is this a "love letter" to the fans? And perhaps a "going out with a bang"?

Yep yep Yep...I cna't help but think the same things you guys are thinking....

Obviously it is a reflection of the character in the sotry

I think also it's about Freddie...and...

I think it might just represent the band as well.

It can be all those things.....

When I first heard the notion of RUSH writing another conecpt album I thought the same thing.....

Give the fans what they want etc.....then...?

I can see how many fans are seeing it as a farewell song, but I'm not so sure. confused13.gif

The guys will be turning 59/60 years old this year, so they are naturally reflecting on their lives, careers, and life in general. As long as they have something to say, musically and lyrically, they're gonna say it. Even though there are fewer years ahead of them than behind them, that's no reason for them to hang it up. As long as their health/physical condition allows them to play, they're gonna PLAY!! yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 08:42 AM)
As long as they have something to say, musically and lyrically, they're gonna say it. Even though there are fewer years ahead of them than behind them, that's no reason for them to hang it up. As long as their health/physical condition allows them to play, they're gonna PLAY!! yes.gif yes.gif

True but.. Neil's daughter is growing up and so are Geddy and Alex's kids (even though they are much older than Neil's little girl) and as they get older maybe they want to spend more time with their families than in the studio and on the road. Or perhaps dedicated to their other hobbies.. Neil traveling and writing and Alex with his golfing and club (no pun intended).

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 19 2012, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 08:42 AM)
As long as they have something to say, musically and lyrically, they're gonna say it.  Even though there are fewer years ahead of them than behind them, that's no reason for them to hang it up.  As long as their health/physical condition allows them to play, they're gonna PLAY!!  yes.gif  yes.gif

True but.. Neil's daughter is growing up and so are Geddy and Alex's kids (even though they are much older than Neil's little girl) and as they get older maybe they want to spend more time with their families than in the studio and on the road. Or perhaps dedicated to their other hobbies.. Neil traveling and writing and Alex with his golfing and club (no pun intended).

You speak the truth. I can definitely see Neil being the first to call it quits, as his need to be with his family will come to dominate.

It just seems to me that their future as a band will depend mostly on if they still have something to say as a band. If they feel that they have unfinished business, that they still have that drive to say something as RUSH, then I can see them continuing the journey. And what an amazing journey it's been..... cool.gif cool.gif

"Better burn up than fade away", said Kurgan...

I think the song lyrics fit the theme of the album, is the hero to sing that song... probably Neil wrote it as if it's the last, so that they already said goodbye and have no problem with it in future if they're not recording another...