is headlong flight a farewell song

limbo

There no way near done, I heard a rumour that their 21st studio album expected for 2017 will be called " BlackJack"!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

OK fine! I started the rumour! Just now, but come on its a great rumour!

doh.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading/listening to the lyrics, my interpretation of them is that Neil is talking about his past. I don't see anything that'll make me think that they're calling it quits. It's just Neil reflecting upon his past.

QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Apr 20 2012, 02:50 PM)
If they want it to be, it is. I think not just all of them turning 60 before they're done touring this album, but also, Geddy has made no secret about how difficult it is getting to sing more and more of the back catalog. And though I know many will protest my saying this, but as good a song as it is, his voice sounds frail on it. A nice frail, but frail nonetheless.

Interesting... Logically speaking, I would have to agree. However, I don't hear any frailty at all... In fact, I think he really belts it out. So much so in fact, that it's left me wondering if it's been fixed in studio.. Sounds so strong to me.

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Apr 20 2012, 09:25 PM)
After reading/listening to the lyrics, my interpretation of them is that Neil is talking about his past. I don't see anything that'll make me think that they're calling it quits. It's just Neil reflecting upon his past.

Or it could be as straightforward as the protagonist of the Clockwork Angels story reflecting on the journey up to that point.

I see how it fits his own story, but Neil wrote a concept album, and until I see a reason to describe it otherwise, I'm sticking with "it's just part of the CA story".

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 08:01 AM)
Yup. It's all over. Open a beer, cry into it.

Yeah it's over, in fact pack up your RUSH memorabilia and life-size cardboard cut-outs and forget about them. Don't even buy the album or go to concert!

fists crying.gif "If I get a line in this sketch can it please not be boo boo?"

NO

Next question?

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Apr 20 2012, 10:25 PM)

I honestly hope you are correct. I would like to see them all playing as 2.gif when they are 100! common001.gif I mean it.

unless they have decided that this is the best they could or have ever done then I don't see it being their last album. The scary thing for me is I am starting to believe that this is probably the best stuff they have done to date. unsure.gif

I need to go and listen to Hemispheres/ Farwell/ etc.etc.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 20 2012, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Apr 20 2012, 02:50 PM)
If they want it to be, it is. I think not just all of them turning 60 before they're done touring this album, but also, Geddy has made no secret about how difficult it is getting to sing more and more of the back catalog. And though I know many will protest my saying this, but as good a song as it is, his voice sounds frail on it. A nice frail, but frail nonetheless.

Interesting... Logically speaking, I would have to agree. However, I don't hear any frailty at all... In fact, I think he really belts it out. So much so in fact, that it's left me wondering if it's been fixed in studio.. Sounds so strong to me.

Of course, I might be imagining it just because of the infamous viral recordings of his voice on Red Barchetta.

Just to be clear: I am in no way criticizing Ged's voice. On the contrary: I think the noted problems he's had while touring only confirm how strong his vocals are and how hard it is to sing them.

Still, there was an interview a coupla years ago in which the reason he gave for not ever doing Fountain of Lamneth again was because there's no way he could ever sing it. On the one hand, it's like, 'duh', of course not. But then again, 'For you the dumb who once could speak' comes to mind.

Sure, I'd like them to go on forever, but if it ever got to the point where it caused someone pain, no friggin' way...

At any rate - and as many in this thread have sarcastically alluded: They are here now, that's what counts, baby!

You don't have to live it all again when you can make time stand still.

I think the song is open to interpretation. If it turns out that this is their last album, then it is a farewell song.

Some say if this album is really big there might be another one, but it's also possible that Rush will want to go out on a high note.

Like I said earlier, I don't think they decided this is farewell. The thing to watch is if they have truly nailed it and produced an epic along the lines of The Wall, they have to face if another record is worthwhile. I hold hope that they have nailed it. There are aspects of musical brilliance in all 3 songs we have heard. Caravan has an instrumental jam in it that may be unmatched. BY2B has that heavy riff that may become a staple at sporting events coming out of a stoppage. HF is outstanding.

CA maybe an epic work, not just for Rush fans, but R&R in general. Hell, this could become a movie.

I'm going with what Geddy has always said when asked the question. "as long as we can".

being a concept album, i think it just relates to the character and the fact that in the tracklisting the song is pretty close to the end

however theres a very real chance this album could be their last, but hearing neil say that their achievements arent over and they'll keep trying to get better speaks volumes about their will to continue, and this was as little as two weeks ago!

i think if people really enjoy this album they might be inspired to continue, even if its not in the conventional sense of an album, but perhaps what they did on the time machine tour, record a few songs and then tour

plus, they have to continue until atleast 2014, so i can earn enough money and be legally of age to go see them seeing as they'll never tour australia sad.gif

So this thread is still active and you guys are still theorizing whether these are Neil's farewell words? Geez...

This, from rushisaband:

... "In late 2011, my drum teacher Freddie Gruber, towards the end of his long and adventurous 84 years, was reminiscing among friends and former students. Often he would shake his head and say, 'I had quite a ride. I wish I could do it all again.' That is not a feeling I have ever shared about the past -- I remain glad that I don't have to do it all again. While working on the lyrics for 'Headlong Flight,' the last song written for Clockwork Angels, I tried to summarize my character's life and adventures. My own ambivalence colored the verses, while Freddie's words inspired the chorus 'I wish that I could live it all again.'" ...

Pretty clear, Neil is not writing a farewell....these are the words of his character (and Freddie), but the last thing Neil would say

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone