Now Let's Settle Down and Consider the Cover

treeduck

Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?

• 1 I just LOVE it's beautiful!! Kissy Kissy, humpy pumpy!
    • 2 No I think it looks like a moron's mock up, I've seen better on here
    • 3 It's pretty bland, very slap dash, disappointing for Hugh Syme
    • 4 I like the bright red colour
    • 5 It's decent, simple in design but effective
    • 6 Hold Your Fire 2.0, and I can't even see that cover now it's so boring
    • 7 I'm still hoping that it won't be the final, actual cover art
    • 8 I don't understand why one of the other pictures weren't chosen
    • 9 I don't care, you better believe it's getting my love gel all over it!
    • 10 I'm a graphic artist, the klinkers stuck to my arse hair look better
    • 11 I'm very very upset about that artwork, I'm gonna cry over it
    • 12 It's hard to judge, I need to see the finished artifact
    • 13 My name is rushgoober, I want to paint it into a psychedelic mess
    • 14 Johnny Blaze here, all I want right now is a girl's arse on my face!
    • 15 METALDAD here, it looks like blind man with no hands designed it
    • 16 RUSHHEAD here, I puked on my wife's tits last night, amen brother
    • 17 Hatchet Pete here, I've eaten better looking pizzas off a toilet floor
    • 18 Rush cocky here, what no naked man prancing on a giant brain??
    • 19 Ya_Big_Tree here, naked men? Where are they??? Grrrrrr lick lick lick
    • 20 Ghostgirl here, I regret that the naked Hemisphere man wasn't Neil
    • 21 Blackhawkrush here, it makes me want to give up watching hockey!
    • 22 73 here it's crap but I'll pretend to like it, the Peart may be watching
    • 23 Jack Aubrey here, can I use it as a target for my submachine gun?
    • 24 Sunny Sunny girl here, well I think it's cute, just like me!!!
    • 25 Babycat here, did someone mention there was a naked man here????
    • 26 ColdfireYYZ here, as a 70s prog throwback boy, I'd say it's very 80s
    • 27 Lost in Xanadu here. I think it'd be better in green and yellow
    • 28 The Owl here, someone mention a naked 70s psychadelic prog mess?
    • 29 WC Fields here, it's butt ugly so in a way it's like the Hemispheres one
    • 30 Tommy Sawyer here, I could draw a better one with a butthole pen
    • 31 LyndseyG here, I love it, my real name happens to be Mildred Butthole
    • 32 Tick here, I'd like a picture of pig feet on mauve velvet, and a glove
    • 33 Lerxt1990 here yes I've seen the artwork thank you carry on veryone
    • 34 laughedatbytime here, it's like the Dolphins 2008 season, wretched
    • 35 Nickslick here, criminy, another disaster coming, like Vapid Trials!
    • 36 Circumstantial Tree here, loving that swirly cloud bit, it's like a drink
    • 37 Crossedsignals here. Oh wow ha ha, I'm a poll option noob!
    • 38 Alex Lifeson here, album cover? All I see are pies, maybe some cakes
    • 39 Jedi Lee here, yes, yes, look into the swirly artwork and despair!
    • 40 The Godlike Peart Cloud here, I AM the artwork, it's my SOUL in ink!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the 30-second clip of Headlong Flight, this is gonna be a mo-fo of an album. Consider it a simple and classy cover hiding a masterpiece, like the White Album or Catcher in the Rye. The real art is inside; the cover needs no flashiness.

Too many choices and none of them exactly fit my answer (although several come close).

I really like the simple design. Reminds me of 2112 crossed with HYF (2 of my favorite albums and I like both covers a lot).

The clock showing 9:12 is a very interesting allusion as well. Like that.

It's interesting, originally we were hearing that the album was an updated By-Tor. Turns out it may be more of an updated 2112. Given that Neil has become so much better at writing lyrics over the years (don't take me wrong, 2112 was so great - both lyrics and music) the album and cover have all kinds of symbolism / hints / messages / potential. An updated 2112, references to 9:12 (9/11? and all that has gone on since plus the causes of 9/11) being released in 2012. A lot to wrap ones mind around. Wow!!

Add in the groups dislike of certain kinds of authority and Neil's religious, um, views (don't know how else to put it) and we have an album and cover that is potentially loaded with messages which will have folks talking, thinking and arguing for a long time. Esp. if this turns out to be a farewell album (which I am afraid it may be)

I like the thought & creativity that went into it. I like the color (a lot).

Could help make some great shirt designs.

Two thumbs up. I am definitely biggrin.gif in response to it.

I think it looks like cotton candy...

http://shoutsfrombothsides.com:2082/viewer/home%2Fshoutsfr%2Fpublic_html/Rush-Clockwork-Angels-e1334152796555.jpg http://shoutsfrombothsides.com:2082/viewer/home%2Fshoutsfr%2Fpublic_html/Cotton_Candy__79188_zoom.jpg

drool1.gif

QUOTE (Yokkov @ Apr 15 2012, 05:05 PM)
The real question is when is it going to start to appear in the slide show in the top left corner...

When we know that it really the official cover art or when it's released...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 15 2012, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 01:50 PM)
I hope you know Treeduck that it wasn't Hugh Syme who designed the cover...

... it actually was my butthole. confused13.gif

Now, there's an unfortunate image scorched into my brain.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/92172b0a.jpg

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2012, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 15 2012, 03:05 AM)
Love the cover. I'm just pissed my name can't make your poll. Oh well.....maybe someday tongue.gif

Bribes are sometimes effective...

wink.gif

'Tis true. I used to be a treeduck poll option until I failed to make my payment on time. Then he dropped me like a hot rock. sad.gif

As long as the music is good, I can forgive the lame cover.

This being said,

Do you think that Def Leppard's great sounding, "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge" would have sold better if it didn't have such a lame title?

Hmm?

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Apr 15 2012, 08:06 PM)
As long as the music is good, I can forgive the lame cover.

This being said,

Do you think that Def Leppard's great sounding, "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge" would have sold better if it didn't have such a lame title?

Hmm?

Absolutely it would have. My first reaction to seeing that title (and seeing the cover) was extremely negative, and I went into my first listen of that album expecting it to be terrible. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but I'm pretty sure if my midset had been more positive I would have liked it (at least a little) more.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM)

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

Who knows. It's just a cover so it's really not all that important.

In the past before computers came around we got a lot of great band covers because designers for forced to paint them or create them manually using photos and whatnot.

But even with computers having taken over the music world, you can still create great high concept stuff in Photoshop. My issue with it isnt so much that it's so clearly created on a computer, but just that it's too direct. Like not much thought went into it.

A clock using alchemy symbols, which has been used by many bands, overlayed on top of clouds? It just doesnt have that cleverness that a cover like Signals had, or Moving Pictures. It's just too simple and not worthy of a band like Rush. That cover I guess would be cool for some up and coming band, but I just dont think it's good enough for a band like Rush.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 10:15 PM)

In the past before computers came around we got a lot of great band covers because designers for forced to paint them or create them manually using photos and whatnot.

But even with computers having taken over the music world, you can still create great high concept stuff in Photoshop. My issue with it isnt so much that it's so clearly created on a computer, but just that it's too direct. Like not much thought went into it.

A clock using alchemy symbols, which has been used by many bands, overlayed on top of clouds? It just doesnt have that cleverness that a cover like Signals had, or Moving Pictures. It's just too simple and not worthy of a band like Rush. That cover I guess would be cool for some up and coming band, but I just dont think it's good enough for a band like Rush.

wtf.gif Is clever about the cover of Signals???

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 09:27 PM)

You're not much of a Signals fan, are ya Tommy? laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 15 2012, 10:30 PM)

#17, would have been 18 if not for good ol' debut

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 15 2012, 10:30 PM)

#17, would have been 18 if not for good ol' debut

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 15 2012, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2012, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 15 2012, 03:05 AM)
Love the cover. I'm just pissed my name can't make your poll. Oh well.....maybe someday tongue.gif

Bribes are sometimes effective...

wink.gif

'Tis true. I used to be a treeduck poll option until I failed to make my payment on time. Then he dropped me like a hot rock. sad.gif

Sexual favours wasn't it?

wink.gif

To be honest every time I do one of these polls my mind goes blank on names and I end up opening another TRF window to look up names in thread titles and whoever is logged in. I get a few names in right away obviously but when we're talking about 26 off the top of my head it's a bit more difficult...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2012, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Apr 15 2012, 04:23 AM)
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!  trink39.gif  laugh.gif  bekloppt.gif

Butthole? That's best you could come up with? Oh well.... I voted for myself  tongue.gif I like the swirly cloud but not as much as the other ones we've recently seen. Especially the one with the hands.

I was keeping the whole butt theme going from the previous options, like political speeches threes are good...

bekloppt.gif

yes.gif These things always happen in threes I should have guessed! Well that explains it then!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:18 AM)

This looks like a Jethro Tull album cover. Not that that's one bit bad. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 16 2012, 03:52 AM)

This looks like a Jethro Tull album cover. Not that that's one bit bad. Just sayin'.

Maybe Alex can whip out his flute on this tour? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 04:37 AM)

rofl3.gif

ohmy.gif

Considering this is Rush, the lack of awesome in the cover is illogical. I think they just mislabelled the CA and Headlong Flight covers.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 09:37 AM)

We can only dream of such moments.