Now Let's Settle Down and Consider the Cover

treeduck

Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?

• 1 I just LOVE it's beautiful!! Kissy Kissy, humpy pumpy!
    • 2 No I think it looks like a moron's mock up, I've seen better on here
    • 3 It's pretty bland, very slap dash, disappointing for Hugh Syme
    • 4 I like the bright red colour
    • 5 It's decent, simple in design but effective
    • 6 Hold Your Fire 2.0, and I can't even see that cover now it's so boring
    • 7 I'm still hoping that it won't be the final, actual cover art
    • 8 I don't understand why one of the other pictures weren't chosen
    • 9 I don't care, you better believe it's getting my love gel all over it!
    • 10 I'm a graphic artist, the klinkers stuck to my arse hair look better
    • 11 I'm very very upset about that artwork, I'm gonna cry over it
    • 12 It's hard to judge, I need to see the finished artifact
    • 13 My name is rushgoober, I want to paint it into a psychedelic mess
    • 14 Johnny Blaze here, all I want right now is a girl's arse on my face!
    • 15 METALDAD here, it looks like blind man with no hands designed it
    • 16 RUSHHEAD here, I puked on my wife's tits last night, amen brother
    • 17 Hatchet Pete here, I've eaten better looking pizzas off a toilet floor
    • 18 Rush cocky here, what no naked man prancing on a giant brain??
    • 19 Ya_Big_Tree here, naked men? Where are they??? Grrrrrr lick lick lick
    • 20 Ghostgirl here, I regret that the naked Hemisphere man wasn't Neil
    • 21 Blackhawkrush here, it makes me want to give up watching hockey!
    • 22 73 here it's crap but I'll pretend to like it, the Peart may be watching
    • 23 Jack Aubrey here, can I use it as a target for my submachine gun?
    • 24 Sunny Sunny girl here, well I think it's cute, just like me!!!
    • 25 Babycat here, did someone mention there was a naked man here????
    • 26 ColdfireYYZ here, as a 70s prog throwback boy, I'd say it's very 80s
    • 27 Lost in Xanadu here. I think it'd be better in green and yellow
    • 28 The Owl here, someone mention a naked 70s psychadelic prog mess?
    • 29 WC Fields here, it's butt ugly so in a way it's like the Hemispheres one
    • 30 Tommy Sawyer here, I could draw a better one with a butthole pen
    • 31 LyndseyG here, I love it, my real name happens to be Mildred Butthole
    • 32 Tick here, I'd like a picture of pig feet on mauve velvet, and a glove
    • 33 Lerxt1990 here yes I've seen the artwork thank you carry on veryone
    • 34 laughedatbytime here, it's like the Dolphins 2008 season, wretched
    • 35 Nickslick here, criminy, another disaster coming, like Vapid Trials!
    • 36 Circumstantial Tree here, loving that swirly cloud bit, it's like a drink
    • 37 Crossedsignals here. Oh wow ha ha, I'm a poll option noob!
    • 38 Alex Lifeson here, album cover? All I see are pies, maybe some cakes
    • 39 Jedi Lee here, yes, yes, look into the swirly artwork and despair!
    • 40 The Godlike Peart Cloud here, I AM the artwork, it's my SOUL in ink!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cover will make more sense when the album and subsequent artwork is released.

Not being a literal interpretation of the work does not mean no "thought" was put into it. I think cover is rather haunting and serves as a good introduction and companion to the more detailed images we've seen so far, although on it's own - I think it's a good piece.

And don't be fooled - this is not something created on a computer with Photoshop.

It is a painting by Hugh Syme. I can't imagine how cool it looks on a grand scale.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 11:54 AM)
And don't be fooled - this is not something created on a computer with Photoshop.

It is a painting by Hugh Syme. I can't imagine how cool it looks on a grand scale.

Why do you think that's a painting?

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 16 2012, 11:04 AM)

... Peart became fascinated with ancient traditions, which also had an impact on the album. "I learned about an entire set of runic hieroglyphs for elements and processes," says Peart. "As the lyrical 'chapters' came together, I chose one symbol to represent each of them." You can see these symbols in the clockface on the album cover, which has been painted by Hugh Syme. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson worked on the music in a basement studio, with Lifeson sometimes giving Peart two demos for specific tunes. One of these would feature a drum machine to outline certain rhythmic ideas, while the other had just a click track. And on one song, The Wreckers, Lee and Lifeson swapped over instruments during the writing sessions....

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/92172b0a.jpg

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

Who knows. It's just a cover so it's really not all that important.

In the past before computers came around we got a lot of great band covers because designers for forced to paint them or create them manually using photos and whatnot.

But even with computers having taken over the music world, you can still create great high concept stuff in Photoshop. My issue with it isnt so much that it's so clearly created on a computer, but just that it's too direct. Like not much thought went into it.

A clock using alchemy symbols, which has been used by many bands, overlayed on top of clouds? It just doesnt have that cleverness that a cover like Signals had, or Moving Pictures. It's just too simple and not worthy of a band like Rush. That cover I guess would be cool for some up and coming band, but I just dont think it's good enough for a band like Rush.

wtf.gif Is clever about the cover of Signals???

Well when you think of the word signals, a dog pissing on a hydrant probably isnt the first thing that comes to mind, but it's very appropriate. That's what makes it clever.

When you think of the name clockwork angels, how obvious is a clock against some clouds? That's probably the most obvious concept you can think of for this album title. I'd rather something simple and clever.

Moving Pictures is a great example as well. It's just a photo, but the idea is pretty clever and they had to go out and shoot it, so it just says "higher quality" to me than any Photoshop cover. I mentioned a concept in another thread a while back that I would have liked more. A bunch of people standing in line dressed up as angels using kind of crappy looking costumes, waiting to punch in for work, one of them checking their watch like they're late for work, another one looking tired like they had worked late the night before, all doing different things in line.

Something like that would have taken real effort to execute and I think its kind of a funny idea. Thats just the sort of covers I prefer personally, but you dont see them much anymore just because its easier and cheaper to whip something up in Photoshop than to pay for a whole photoshoot, have a set built, etc..

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 16 2012, 03:52 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:18 AM)

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

This looks like a Jethro Tull album cover. Not that that's one bit bad. Just sayin'.

OH NOES!!!!!! Please make the silly pretentious man go away!!

http://www.cliffordmeth.com/files/ian_tull.jpg

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 12:09 PM)

... Peart became fascinated with ancient traditions, which also had an impact on the album. "I learned about an entire set of runic hieroglyphs for elements and processes," says Peart. "As the lyrical 'chapters' came together, I chose one symbol to represent each of them." You can see these symbols in the clockface on the album cover, which has been painted by Hugh Syme. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson worked on the music in a basement studio, with Lifeson sometimes giving Peart two demos for specific tunes. One of these would feature a drum machine to outline certain rhythmic ideas, while the other had just a click track. And on one song, The Wreckers, Lee and Lifeson swapped over instruments during the writing sessions....

I think the guy who wrote that article misstated that about the cover. It's digital work.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 16 2012, 11:10 AM)
Moving Pictures is a great example as well. It's just a photo, but the idea is pretty clever and they had to go out and shoot it, so it just says "higher quality" to me than any Photoshop cover. I mentioned a concept in another thread a while back that I would have liked more. A bunch of people standing in line dressed up as angels using kind of crappy looking costumes, waiting to punch in for work, one of them checking their watch like they're late for work, another one looking tired like they had worked late the night before, all doing different things in line.

Something like that would have taken real effort to execute and I think its kind of a funny idea.

I agree that both MP and Signal are very clever concepts - and while your idea sounds cool for Clockwork Angels - we have no idea at all that a "cheeky"sort of wink wink cover would work for this collection of songs. Based on what we've heard so far, I would say no.

Also, this is not a Photoshop created peice. I would imagine much effort was put into the conception and execution of this painting.

Alot of people didn't like the VT cover because it seemed to "simple" - but again, I thought it was a beautiful painting that perfectly conveyed the overall feel of the album.

Again, when these songs are all released it will be easier to put it all in context.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 16 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 12:09 PM)

I think the guy who wrote that article misstated that about the cover. It's digital work.

Maybe the writer meant painted in Photoshop. confused13.gif

I'm with you. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be hand painted. Just seems like there's no way that's possible.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 16 2012, 11:19 AM)

No, it isn't.

The fonts and perhaps even the symbols were digitally added (although I doubt it) but it's clear to me that the background image is an oil painting.

It really speakes to Hugh Symes talent. For example; GUP, Power Windows, Vaport Trails - all oil paintings.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 11:22 AM)
I'm with you. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be hand painted. Just seems like there's no way that's possible.

Oh sure it is. Keep in mind that it's painted on a much larger scale then what we are seeing.

If I remeber correctly - Neil has a series of paintings that were created for GUP hanging in his office, and they are oil on canvas.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 11:22 AM)

Oh sure it is. Keep in mind that it's painted on a much larger scale then what we are seeing.

If I remeber correctly - Neil has a series of paintings that were created for GUP hanging in his office, and they are oil on canvas.

Yes, but GUP is obviously painted. You can practically see the brush strokes, metaphorically speaking. This CA image is too... clean. Too precise. It looks digital.

I'm not taking a very firm stance about this until we get some confirmation from a trusted source. I'm just sayin', I'd be surprised if it were hand painted.

Don't get me wrong, just because it's painting doesn't necessarily make it "better" as an album cover - but many complaints are that it seems so simple and that not much thought or effort were put into it, which isn't fair to the artist.

It was obviously painted in painstaking detail and with much emotion. At least thats my take.

Im a graphic designer and I agree it looks like a 19 years old's first Photoshop project in college. I dont know if it was actually hand painted in oil on canvas but I could have done that in PS in 2 minutes. I will say alot of the others I have seen also look like crap too, like taking a photo of a gear and putting the watercolor filter on it and calling it a cover design...blech

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 11:35 AM)
"...it was obviously painted in painstaking detail and with much emotion..."

what's your painting and graphic design background, E?

I've got 30 years combined experience - would you like to know what I think?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 11:35 AM)
"...it was obviously painted in painstaking detail and with much emotion..."

what's your painting and graphic design background, E?

I've got 30 years combined experience - would you like to know what I think?

Not that I'm really interested in a "designer pissing contest" lol - but since you asked, I have an art degree with a focus on "interactive Multimedia" from Columbia College in Chicago and have been working as a designer in various capacities for almost 20 years.

I've been painting with oil and acrylics since I can remember - not that I'm sensational, but I'm not bad.

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Apr 16 2012, 11:42 AM)
Im a graphic designer and I agree it looks like a 19 years old's first Photoshop project in college.

Well, If I was the teacher that kid would get an A - lol

Hey, If Im wrong I will be happy to eat crow - my ego isn't that easily brusied.

I'm not, though wink.gif

Well at least its not a board game ...like S&A was....we could have wound up with this...

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic153389_md.jpg

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 12:07 PM)
Im a graphic designer and I agree it looks like a 19 years old's first Photoshop project in college.

Well, If I was the teacher that kid would get an A - lol

Hey, If Im wrong I will be happy to eat crow - my ego isn't that easily brusied.

I'm not, though wink.gif

degree notwithstanding...

...I hope you're hungry biggrin.gif

Im a graphic designer and I agree it looks like a 19 years old's first Photoshop project in college. I dont know if it was actually hand painted in oil on canvas but I could have done that in PS in 2 minutes. I will say alot of the others I have seen also look like crap too, like taking a photo of a gear and putting the watercolor filter on it and calling it a cover design...blech

I'd wager if you had 2 hours you couldn't come up with something half as good.

Love the so-called professionals who deem it crap. First of all, it's art. Second, we have a cover and no context. What a bunch of "balh blah blah it's high school quality" dope nose posts. All you nose in the air whilst looking down yer noses as Mr. Syme, y'all can f**k off smile.gif

Now, on with the voting trink39.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 16 2012, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 16 2012, 03:52 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:18 AM)

This looks like a Jethro Tull album cover. Not that that's one bit bad. Just sayin'.

Maybe Alex can whip out his flute on this tour? ph34r.gif

We can only dream of such moments.

Neil could be the flute boy, he's got more of an Ian Anderson vibe about him when I think about it...

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 07:15 PM)

I'd wager if you had 2 hours you couldn't come up with something half as good.

Love the so-called professionals who deem it crap. First of all, it's art. Second, we have a cover and no context. What a bunch of "balh blah blah it's high school quality" dope nose posts. All you nose in the air whilst looking down yer noses as Mr. Syme, y'all can f**k off smile.gif

Now, on with the voting trink39.gif

<<cringes>>

Look at the bevel on the back part of the hour hand. laugh.gif

And how would that clock even function? All the hands appear to be connected. That large image really does it no favors.

Edited by Storm Shadow