Now Let's Settle Down and Consider the Cover

treeduck

Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?

• 1 I just LOVE it's beautiful!! Kissy Kissy, humpy pumpy!
    • 2 No I think it looks like a moron's mock up, I've seen better on here
    • 3 It's pretty bland, very slap dash, disappointing for Hugh Syme
    • 4 I like the bright red colour
    • 5 It's decent, simple in design but effective
    • 6 Hold Your Fire 2.0, and I can't even see that cover now it's so boring
    • 7 I'm still hoping that it won't be the final, actual cover art
    • 8 I don't understand why one of the other pictures weren't chosen
    • 9 I don't care, you better believe it's getting my love gel all over it!
    • 10 I'm a graphic artist, the klinkers stuck to my arse hair look better
    • 11 I'm very very upset about that artwork, I'm gonna cry over it
    • 12 It's hard to judge, I need to see the finished artifact
    • 13 My name is rushgoober, I want to paint it into a psychedelic mess
    • 14 Johnny Blaze here, all I want right now is a girl's arse on my face!
    • 15 METALDAD here, it looks like blind man with no hands designed it
    • 16 RUSHHEAD here, I puked on my wife's tits last night, amen brother
    • 17 Hatchet Pete here, I've eaten better looking pizzas off a toilet floor
    • 18 Rush cocky here, what no naked man prancing on a giant brain??
    • 19 Ya_Big_Tree here, naked men? Where are they??? Grrrrrr lick lick lick
    • 20 Ghostgirl here, I regret that the naked Hemisphere man wasn't Neil
    • 21 Blackhawkrush here, it makes me want to give up watching hockey!
    • 22 73 here it's crap but I'll pretend to like it, the Peart may be watching
    • 23 Jack Aubrey here, can I use it as a target for my submachine gun?
    • 24 Sunny Sunny girl here, well I think it's cute, just like me!!!
    • 25 Babycat here, did someone mention there was a naked man here????
    • 26 ColdfireYYZ here, as a 70s prog throwback boy, I'd say it's very 80s
    • 27 Lost in Xanadu here. I think it'd be better in green and yellow
    • 28 The Owl here, someone mention a naked 70s psychadelic prog mess?
    • 29 WC Fields here, it's butt ugly so in a way it's like the Hemispheres one
    • 30 Tommy Sawyer here, I could draw a better one with a butthole pen
    • 31 LyndseyG here, I love it, my real name happens to be Mildred Butthole
    • 32 Tick here, I'd like a picture of pig feet on mauve velvet, and a glove
    • 33 Lerxt1990 here yes I've seen the artwork thank you carry on veryone
    • 34 laughedatbytime here, it's like the Dolphins 2008 season, wretched
    • 35 Nickslick here, criminy, another disaster coming, like Vapid Trials!
    • 36 Circumstantial Tree here, loving that swirly cloud bit, it's like a drink
    • 37 Crossedsignals here. Oh wow ha ha, I'm a poll option noob!
    • 38 Alex Lifeson here, album cover? All I see are pies, maybe some cakes
    • 39 Jedi Lee here, yes, yes, look into the swirly artwork and despair!
    • 40 The Godlike Peart Cloud here, I AM the artwork, it's my SOUL in ink!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 17 2012, 02:51 PM)
I think all the alternatives being posited are wonderful pictures, but they all look too specific for the cover. They all seem to be for specific songs. The red image is the only one I have seen that seems to encompass the entire album.

Exactly. It's a mood peice. Totally approriate for an album cover.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doe anyone else see the helarious irony in all of this?

Hugh Syme creates so many peices now that we are actually using his very own work against him to make a point that he is "phoning it in".

LOL

Man, we have gotten spoiled.

Savor it, folks!

I gotta say I find all the bitching absolutely hilarious.

I remember back when a single was 7", came in a plain white paper jacket and the label was generic and specific to the record company. And now people spend their time picking apart unique artwork which is specific to the project and signed off by the art director and the band member whose job it is to handle all the packaging.

Imagine if Hemispheres had come out in the information age... people would be whining about the photos in the gatefold and the ugly ass red vinyl that was used in the first pressing.

Or if Moving Pictures came out today and all we heard was the lame motion photos on the sleeve.

C'mon folks. We're getting a new RUSH album in less than 2 months. Had you told me 11 years ago that in 2012 we'd be lit up with anticipation over an album of NEW material by these guys I would have said you were nuts.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 17 2012, 02:51 PM)
I think all the alternatives being posited are wonderful pictures, but they all look too specific for the cover.  They all seem to be for specific songs.  The red image is the only one I have seen that seems to encompass the entire album.

I like your post, sir trink39.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 17 2012, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 17 2012, 02:50 PM)
[full confession: you're not even reading the posts anymore, are you? wink.gif ]

Not really - too many words tongue.gif

I will say, though, that I personally would never concern myself with manipulating stock images beyond recognition in my work out of fear that my clients might do an internet search for the soul purpose of saying "gotchya, Kev - you're phoning it in" LOL

neither would I

Assuming that "the pedler" is actual artwork for the album  (which I'm sure it is) the forest photo is an excellent choice and creates the perfect mood. I'm not bothered at all that he didn't create it from scratch...

neither am I

(so far we're agreeing... a lot)

...I say kudos for having the design sense to use imagery that is perfectly suited for the mood of the peice.

well, none of us (right...?) have heard the album, so we can't go that far just yet

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 16 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 16 2012, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 16 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/92172b0a.jpg

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

Who knows. It's just a cover so it's really not all that important.

In the past before computers came around we got a lot of great band covers because designers for forced to paint them or create them manually using photos and whatnot.

But even with computers having taken over the music world, you can still create great high concept stuff in Photoshop. My issue with it isnt so much that it's so clearly created on a computer, but just that it's too direct. Like not much thought went into it.

A clock using alchemy symbols, which has been used by many bands, overlayed on top of clouds? It just doesnt have that cleverness that a cover like Signals had, or Moving Pictures. It's just too simple and not worthy of a band like Rush. That cover I guess would be cool for some up and coming band, but I just dont think it's good enough for a band like Rush.

wtf.gif Is clever about the cover of Signals???

Well when you think of the word signals, a dog pissing on a hydrant probably isnt the first thing that comes to mind, but it's very appropriate. That's what makes it clever.

When you think of the name clockwork angels, how obvious is a clock against some clouds? That's probably the most obvious concept you can think of for this album title. I'd rather something simple and clever.

Moving Pictures is a great example as well. It's just a photo, but the idea is pretty clever and they had to go out and shoot it, so it just says "higher quality" to me than any Photoshop cover. I mentioned a concept in another thread a while back that I would have liked more. A bunch of people standing in line dressed up as angels using kind of crappy looking costumes, waiting to punch in for work, one of them checking their watch like they're late for work, another one looking tired like they had worked late the night before, all doing different things in line.

Something like that would have taken real effort to execute and I think its kind of a funny idea. Thats just the sort of covers I prefer personally, but you dont see them much anymore just because its easier and cheaper to whip something up in Photoshop than to pay for a whole photoshoot, have a set built, etc..

Still don't know what the dog has to do with Signals. confused13.gif

All your other points were good though trink39.gif

When a dog pisses on a hydrant, a lamp post, a bush, or whatever it's a signal to other dogs...

confused13.gif I get it... but that's not really clever IMO.

Well I'm not saying it is, I'm just helping you out with a little information since you can't see the obvious...

tongue.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 17 2012, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 17 2012, 04:09 PM)
Look at the pre-order page on Rush.com:

http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage...gels/index.html

If that doesn't solidify the red image as the cover, then they are waiting to spring a big surprise on everyone.  Get used to it.

ugh

That could still be a slipcase, in fact it looks like a slipcase in that picture...

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 17 2012, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 16 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 16 2012, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 16 2012, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 16 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 15 2012, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/92172b0a.jpg

Found this on a Brazilian site. It purports to be album art for the new Rush album.

That looks like real effort and time went into it, unlike the real cover, but that looks more like art for a specific song, not a cover.

But to your point... why couldnt we have art somewhat like this for the cover sad.gif

Who knows. It's just a cover so it's really not all that important.

In the past before computers came around we got a lot of great band covers because designers for forced to paint them or create them manually using photos and whatnot.

But even with computers having taken over the music world, you can still create great high concept stuff in Photoshop. My issue with it isnt so much that it's so clearly created on a computer, but just that it's too direct. Like not much thought went into it.

A clock using alchemy symbols, which has been used by many bands, overlayed on top of clouds? It just doesnt have that cleverness that a cover like Signals had, or Moving Pictures. It's just too simple and not worthy of a band like Rush. That cover I guess would be cool for some up and coming band, but I just dont think it's good enough for a band like Rush.

wtf.gif Is clever about the cover of Signals???

Well when you think of the word signals, a dog pissing on a hydrant probably isnt the first thing that comes to mind, but it's very appropriate. That's what makes it clever.

When you think of the name clockwork angels, how obvious is a clock against some clouds? That's probably the most obvious concept you can think of for this album title. I'd rather something simple and clever.

Moving Pictures is a great example as well. It's just a photo, but the idea is pretty clever and they had to go out and shoot it, so it just says "higher quality" to me than any Photoshop cover. I mentioned a concept in another thread a while back that I would have liked more. A bunch of people standing in line dressed up as angels using kind of crappy looking costumes, waiting to punch in for work, one of them checking their watch like they're late for work, another one looking tired like they had worked late the night before, all doing different things in line.

Something like that would have taken real effort to execute and I think its kind of a funny idea. Thats just the sort of covers I prefer personally, but you dont see them much anymore just because its easier and cheaper to whip something up in Photoshop than to pay for a whole photoshoot, have a set built, etc..

Still don't know what the dog has to do with Signals. confused13.gif

All your other points were good though trink39.gif

When a dog pisses on a hydrant, a lamp post, a bush, or whatever it's a signal to other dogs...

confused13.gif I get it... but that's not really clever IMO.

Well I'm not saying it is, I'm just helping you out with a little information since you can't see the obvious...

tongue.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif

wink.gif

cool10.gif

Has anyone considered that the RED album cover means that this album is a SPIN BACK (swirling Red clouds) TO 2112 ( the hands on the clock)????? eyesre4.gif