Now Let's Settle Down and Consider the Cover

treeduck

Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Clockwork Angels cover artwork?

• 1 I just LOVE it's beautiful!! Kissy Kissy, humpy pumpy!
    • 2 No I think it looks like a moron's mock up, I've seen better on here
    • 3 It's pretty bland, very slap dash, disappointing for Hugh Syme
    • 4 I like the bright red colour
    • 5 It's decent, simple in design but effective
    • 6 Hold Your Fire 2.0, and I can't even see that cover now it's so boring
    • 7 I'm still hoping that it won't be the final, actual cover art
    • 8 I don't understand why one of the other pictures weren't chosen
    • 9 I don't care, you better believe it's getting my love gel all over it!
    • 10 I'm a graphic artist, the klinkers stuck to my arse hair look better
    • 11 I'm very very upset about that artwork, I'm gonna cry over it
    • 12 It's hard to judge, I need to see the finished artifact
    • 13 My name is rushgoober, I want to paint it into a psychedelic mess
    • 14 Johnny Blaze here, all I want right now is a girl's arse on my face!
    • 15 METALDAD here, it looks like blind man with no hands designed it
    • 16 RUSHHEAD here, I puked on my wife's tits last night, amen brother
    • 17 Hatchet Pete here, I've eaten better looking pizzas off a toilet floor
    • 18 Rush cocky here, what no naked man prancing on a giant brain??
    • 19 Ya_Big_Tree here, naked men? Where are they??? Grrrrrr lick lick lick
    • 20 Ghostgirl here, I regret that the naked Hemisphere man wasn't Neil
    • 21 Blackhawkrush here, it makes me want to give up watching hockey!
    • 22 73 here it's crap but I'll pretend to like it, the Peart may be watching
    • 23 Jack Aubrey here, can I use it as a target for my submachine gun?
    • 24 Sunny Sunny girl here, well I think it's cute, just like me!!!
    • 25 Babycat here, did someone mention there was a naked man here????
    • 26 ColdfireYYZ here, as a 70s prog throwback boy, I'd say it's very 80s
    • 27 Lost in Xanadu here. I think it'd be better in green and yellow
    • 28 The Owl here, someone mention a naked 70s psychadelic prog mess?
    • 29 WC Fields here, it's butt ugly so in a way it's like the Hemispheres one
    • 30 Tommy Sawyer here, I could draw a better one with a butthole pen
    • 31 LyndseyG here, I love it, my real name happens to be Mildred Butthole
    • 32 Tick here, I'd like a picture of pig feet on mauve velvet, and a glove
    • 33 Lerxt1990 here yes I've seen the artwork thank you carry on veryone
    • 34 laughedatbytime here, it's like the Dolphins 2008 season, wretched
    • 35 Nickslick here, criminy, another disaster coming, like Vapid Trials!
    • 36 Circumstantial Tree here, loving that swirly cloud bit, it's like a drink
    • 37 Crossedsignals here. Oh wow ha ha, I'm a poll option noob!
    • 38 Alex Lifeson here, album cover? All I see are pies, maybe some cakes
    • 39 Jedi Lee here, yes, yes, look into the swirly artwork and despair!
    • 40 The Godlike Peart Cloud here, I AM the artwork, it's my SOUL in ink!

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 16 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 16 2012, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 10:39 PM)
http://qaqn.com/images/outbound/rush-swirl.png

6 minutes in Photoshop. I'm not doing the clock hands because those are so obviously 'shopped that it's not worth proving.

Difference clouds -> Hue/Saturation layer -> Filter: Distort: Twirl

I spent a minute or two playing around with the contrast and painting out some of the darker areas.

Wow, that's embarrassing for Hugh Syme. 6 minutes?

I know I said earlier in the thread that I didn't care, but it's very disappointing considering the effort the band have put into recording it and the effort Roadrunner are putting in to promoting it.

And I'll be clear: what I did wasn't all that close to the real album cover as a finished product. My only point in posting it was that I did it in 6 minutes. Give me two weeks or a month, and I could probably come up with something that would rival the album cover. It's not that hard, just time consuming, to make realistic clouds and then twirl them just a bit in the center (I over-twirled mine, but only because I wasn't looking at the cover as a reference).

Oops, ,missed this post laugh.gif We'll be waiting rofl3.gif

Ah, I get it now. If this was a Hugh Syme design for anyone other than Rush you wouldn't have any problems with danielmclark's efforts...

But, this is for Rush. That's the whole point. You can't take that component out of it. First album in 5 years.. perhaps their last?? Daniel seems to think it's easy so perhaps he should accept the gauntlet he threw down and make that cloud cover art as good or even better, since it's so easy. tongue.gif My rofl3.gif expresses my doubt. smile.gif

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 11:15 PM)

6 minutes in Photoshop. I'm not doing the clock hands because those are so obviously 'shopped that it's not worth proving.

I spent a minute or two playing around with the contrast and painting out some of the darker areas.

I know I said earlier in the thread that I didn't care, but it's very disappointing considering the effort the band have put into recording it and the effort Roadrunner are putting in to promoting it.

And I'll be clear: what I did wasn't all that close to the real album cover as a finished product. My only point in posting it was that I did it in 6 minutes. Give me two weeks or a month, and I could probably come up with something that would rival the album cover. It's not that hard, just time consuming, to make realistic clouds and then twirl them just a bit in the center (I over-twirled mine, but only because I wasn't looking at the cover as a reference).

Ah, I get it now. If this was a Hugh Syme design for anyone other than Rush you wouldn't have any problems with danielmclark's efforts...

But, this is for Rush. That's the whole point. You can't take that component out of it. First album in 5 years.. perhaps their last?? Daniel seems to think it's easy so perhaps he should accept the gauntlet he threw down and make that cloud cover art as good or even better, since it's so easy. tongue.gif My rofl3.gif expresses my doubt. smile.gif

Which is pretty much the epitome of fanboyism...

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 16 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 03:54 PM)
(as StormShadow posted earlier) here's a sample of the istockphoto image that Hugh used to source the minute/hour hands:

lol - cmon.

Dude. If you can't tell that those are the exact same hands, there is no hope . . .

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/962/handsf.jpg

c'mon, he knows

at this point he's just egging us on and 'aving a larf

he'll ultimately be proven wrong (which of course won't mean anything wink.gif ) and then crawl back up into his own easter egg...

POW!!! trink38.gif

We shall see smile.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 16 2012, 05:17 PM)

laugh.gif Classic Tony Fallback Answer. That's okay, I'm a fanboy. You should come out of the closet. You know you're one too smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 16 2012, 05:17 PM)

laugh.gif Classic Tony Fallback Answer. That's okay, I'm a fanboy. You should come out of the closet. You know you're one too smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Stop being ridiculous. You're bleating because someone is criticising Rush. You practically admitted that if the "cover" was for any other band you wouldn't have a problem with danielmclark's 6 minute effort...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 03:03 PM)
(as StormShadow posted earlier) here's a sample of the istockphoto image that Hugh used to source the minute/hour hands:

lol - cmon.

That's hardly a compelling response.

The clock hands are quite obviously stock images, as referenced several times in this thread today.

* It would behoove me to note that if Hugh did reference stock images for the cover art, it is hardly an indictment of his skill as a designer. Every commercial designer I know has used stock images as inspiration for their work at one time or another - or even directly incorporated them. I never suggested that he invented every symbol and acknowledge that the clock parts and symbols could very well have been added later, although it's not hard for me to fathom that they were painted.

I lol'ed at the whole "gotchya" argument implied in the post. That somehow the the curtain had been dropped and the Wizard of Rush is a phony - at least thats how I interpreted it cool.gif

I do like this artwork, but really, the point of my argument isn't so much in defending as a cover, but rather the effort put into it.

It's a little presumptuous for people to assume shortcuts were taken and not enough "thought" put into it because it isn't a multifaceted peice with all kinds of stuff going on. And while many people now have access to programs like Photoshop, ect - danielmclark has eloquently showed us wink.gif - it's NOT easy to create work like this, but rather it takes skill and experience as an artist to use tools like Photshop well

I still say this is a painting with mixed media incorporated.

I will be happy to be proven wrong and eat some crow, but I'm not jumping back into an Easter egg laugh.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 03:03 PM)

lol - cmon.

That's hardly a compelling response.

The clock hands are quite obviously stock images, as referenced several times in this thread today.

* It would behoove me to note that if Hugh did reference stock images for the cover art, it is hardly an indictment of his skill as a designer. Every commercial designer I know has used stock images as inspiration for their work at one time or another - or even directly incorporated them. I never suggested that he invented every symbol and acknowledge that the clock parts and symbols could very well have been added later, although it's not hard for me to fathom that they were painted.

I lol'ed at the whole "gotchya" argument implied in the post. That somehow the the curtain had been dropped and the Wizard of Rush is a phony - at least thats how I interpreted it cool.gif

You don't get it. This isn't about referencing anything. This is about the "handpainted vs. Photoshopped" nature of the cover. The clock hands are exact, and I mean *exact*. They weren't referenced. They were dropped from the stock site right into the composition. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, because as you yourself said, designers do that all the time. There's a reason stock sites exist. But you can't defend the use of stock sites and still maintain that the cover is handpainted - unless you want to alter your assertion and say that the clouds were painted but the clock and symbols were Photoshopped in. That, I could almost believe.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 05:12 PM)
...the clock hands are quite obviously stock images, as referenced several times in this thread today.

It didn't require a compelling response.

So what if they are the same symbols?

The assumtion that Huigh Syme must have lifted them directly off that site is a bit of a stretch, guys.

as you know, there's a difference between 'lifted' and 'purchased'

disappointingly (from a designers' perspective) the *very first* image returned when "old clock hands" is Googled is Mike Bentley's istockphoto (the one used for the Clockwork Angels hands)

I'm hoping Hugh is at least smart enough to protect his clients, and paid for that download

if he didn't... well, things will get embarrassing and expensive

quickly

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 04:15 PM)

Oh, please. As I said, I only did it to prove a point. I don't need to take it further and I'm not going to take a couple of weeks or a month of my time to prove a point to a bunch of people that will only put down the final result anyway - because let's be honest, you will NEVER admit that you are wrong. EVER.

And I never said I was a professional artist. Quite the opposite - I made a point of saying I'm not. I know enough Photoshop to do good work most of the time. That's all.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 05:41 PM)
You don't get it. This isn't about referencing anything. This is about the "handpainted vs. Photoshopped" nature of the cover. The clock hands are exact, and I mean *exact*. They weren't referenced. They were dropped from the stock site right into the composition. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, because as you yourself said, designers do that all the time. There's a reason stock sites exist. But you can't defend the use of stock sites and still maintain that the cover is handpainted - unless you want to alter your assertion and say that the clouds were painted but the clock and symbols were Photoshopped in. That, I could almost believe.

I've said a number of times this could easily be a mixed media piece.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 05:41 PM)

I've said a number of times this could easily be a mixed media piece.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 05:55 PM)
(and if you have a design background, the cover is practically a screaming neon sign that says 'PHONED IN! PHONED IN!')

Hmm - I would say it does not in the slightest bit.

Having a "design background" does not automatically afford someone an authorative opinion on art - and really, we have no idea what the thought process was or how much effort was put into the concept.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 06:05 PM)
...having a "design background" does not automatically afford someone an authorative opinion on art...

precisely! (I knew you'd come 'round)

there's nothing 'automatic' about it

it takes many years of education, training and fieldwork (a gift of natural talent doesn't hurt one bit, either)

and, like a good detective, the truth can be methodically divined

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 16 2012, 04:41 PM)
Can we all just agree that the cover is pretty lame, that clearly Hugh Syme was underachieving with this cover and leave it at that?

I can only hope that this "underachieving" doesn't translate to the music...

it's terrible.....one of their worst perhaps?

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 06:15 PM)

Whatever you say - Sherlock!

biggrin.gif

(just don't forget the ranch with my crow, please)

the fact that you've (to date) avoided replying to the best evidence against your assertions wouldn't even warrant a Watson comparison

you've outed yourself... cool.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 06:33 PM)

biggrin.gif

the fact that you've (to date) avoided replying to the best evidence against your assertions wouldn't even warrant a Watson comparison

and what evidence would that be, Sherlock?

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 16 2012, 06:33 PM)

biggrin.gif

and what evidence would that be, Sherlock?

...they call you 'The Seeker'...

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 16 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 16 2012, 05:41 PM)
Can we all just agree that the cover is pretty lame, that clearly Hugh Syme was underachieving with this cover and leave it at that?

No

why not? do you actually like the cover?

one thing that was perhaps really unfortunate in this day and age of technological leaks is that we got bombarded with several REALLY COOL images that seemed to come from the Rush camp, and then the one really mediocre (at best) one ends up being the cover. i guess if that is the only image we ever saw, it wouldn't seem as bad, but compared to the rest, most here seem to agree that it really pales in comparison.