• Like It
    • It's ok
    • Don't Like It
    • Hate It

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honestly confused as to how anyone could be offended by the lyrics...given we are speaking about a song that is part of a fictional tale in a fictional land that has no more bearing on religion than Bytor and the Snow dog....

but maybe its me?

Love it!!

side note: Track skippers are tremendously lame no matter the band, no matter how crappy the song is. They must be Ipod owners. As is hitting random on a CD is also lame. But it is their choice to be a control freak nut job, so I can respect their choice, but not the decision. I choose to listen to the whole album whenever I listen to an album. If track skippers always skip a song they did not like the first time, how can they ever appreciate it twenty years later after skipping Dog Years and Tai Shan all this time? There is so much within songs that skipping tunes is a dis-service to the skipper, Captain. 2.gif

Love it and it happens to be the bands Heaviest intro 1022.gif

I like it. A lot. In comparison to other bands' work, I'd say I "love" it. Held up against the rest of Rush's work - well, it's just not on the same level as, say, Natural Science or Cygnus X-1 Book II.

I'm another who can't wait to see how the lyrics fit within the context of the album's story. I'm thinking that a lot of the fuel for the "oh-great-another-Neil-hates-religion-song" argument will be drained from the tank.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 16 2012, 08:49 AM)
I like it.. I really like it.

653.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 16 2012, 12:53 PM)
I am honestly confused as to how anyone could be offended by the lyrics...given we are speaking about a song that is part of a fictional tale in a fictional land that has no more bearing on religion than Bytor and the Snow dog....

but maybe its me?

Yes, within the context of the story the song may take on a meaning that will be a little bit different then what we originally thought, but come on...these lyrics are very clearly meant to take a sarcastic swipe at organized religion. Just the fact that Rush included it in their "We hate religion trilogy" of Bu2B, Faithless, and Freewill says it all.

Not that I have a problem with any of this. Lyrically, it's one of my favorite of Neil's. I wish he would use the 1st person more often. I never liked his lack of using it, particuarly in Limelight, I would like to hear "I must put up barriers to keep myself intact"

But that's me

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 16 2012, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 14 2012, 08:28 PM)
I like it. Not AMAZING, but it gets the job done for sure. Nice and heavy, has some cool subtle synths, clever lyrics.

This. yes.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (vprtrls @ Apr 16 2012, 01:40 PM)
Love it!!

side note: Track skippers are tremendously lame no matter the band, no matter how crappy the song is. They must be Ipod owners. As is hitting random on a CD is also lame. But it is their choice to be a control freak nut job, so I can respect their choice, but not the decision. I choose to listen to the whole album whenever I listen to an album. If track skippers always skip a song they did not like the first time, how can they ever appreciate it twenty years later after skipping Dog Years and Tai Shan all this time? There is so much within songs that skipping tunes is a dis-service to the skipper, Captain. 2.gif

i've given caravan and bu2b more alot more than one listen, and i like tai shan and dog years. i like that label by the way, the track skipper. biggrin.gif

Love it! I like Caravan a wee bit better but they both rock! 1022.gif

At first wasn't too sure but I keep hearing it in my head. Both Caravan and BU2B have the vocal sitting alot better than the songs from the previous three albums IMO where the lyrics were wordy and didn't fit the music at times.

Love it!!

What?

This is seriously an issue with someone?

I guess I'm tremendously lame because I skip tracks a LOT, listen to an iPod, and listen to music almost exclusively shuffled. Why in the world is there anything lame about listening to what I'm in the mood for? Life is too short to spend one moment listening to a song when is rather be listening to something else. It boggles my mind that someone would have an opinion on this.

Do what you like and let others do the same. There is no reason to la le people with different listening habits "lame".

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 14 2012, 06:25 PM)
i can't explain it but even though bu2b sounds heavy i just don't find myself wanting to play it. it's not the lyrics, which i don't care for, that has me not listening to it but the overall feel when i listen to it. the music at the part where geddy sings, "all is for the best....", the guitar makes me cringe. the overuse of some of the same lines of lyrics that neil provided doesn't help the song. it's cool that so many like it but it doesn't do anything for me.

The heaviness is cool, but the song almost has a total lack of melody. After a minute or so, it seems there's really nothing new to listen for, musically or vocally.

Some RUSH songs take time to grow on me, but this one hasn't. Maybe it will in the context of the entire CA work.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 17 2012, 03:30 AM)
Love it!!

side note:  Track skippers are tremendously lame no matter the band, no matter how crappy the song is.  They must be Ipod owners.  As is hitting random on a CD is also lame.  But it is their choice to be a control freak nut job, so I can respect their choice, but not the decision.  I choose to listen to the whole album whenever I listen to an album.  If track skippers always skip a song they did not like the first time, how can they ever appreciate it twenty years later after skipping Dog Years and Tai Shan all this time?  There is so much within songs that skipping tunes is a dis-service to the skipper, Captain. 2.gif

What?

I guess I'm tremendously lame because I skip tracks a LOT, listen to an iPod, and listen to music almost exclusively shuffled. Why in the world is there anything lame about listening to what I'm in the mood for? Life is too short to spend one moment listening to a song when is rather be listening to something else. It boggles my mind that someone would have an opinion on this.

Do what you like and let others do the same. There is no reason to la le people with different listening habits "lame".

I agree. It would be a different story if every album were like Dark Side of the Moon and skipping one track is huge, but to take an album of 12-14 independent songs and not like 1 or 2 and skip it is not a big deal.

Been doing it for years, well before iPods, iTunes and anything digital

over time a skip track can become one of my favs like dog years for example i luv that tune now smile.gif and a lot of the time a tune that becomes a fav on first listen like SOR for instance gets skipped eventually through familiarity

i'm always skippin me

I have just about had it with the anti-religion thing from Mr. Peart, so that hurts this song. Otherwise it would be decent. Caravan is much more interesting.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 17 2012, 03:30 AM)
Love it!!

side note:  Track skippers are tremendously lame no matter the band, no matter how crappy the song is.  They must be Ipod owners.  As is hitting random on a CD is also lame.  But it is their choice to be a control freak nut job, so I can respect their choice, but not the decision.  I choose to listen to the whole album whenever I listen to an album.  If track skippers always skip a song they did not like the first time, how can they ever appreciate it twenty years later after skipping Dog Years and Tai Shan all this time?  There is so much within songs that skipping tunes is a dis-service to the skipper, Captain. 2.gif

What?

goodpost.gif I skip many songs when listening to Rush, which is almost exclusively shuffled on my playlist of all 19 studio albums. People can listen to music how they want, at least we are taking in the greatness of Rush and not radio BS 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 01:04 PM)
I have just about had it with the anti-religion thing from Mr. Peart, so that hurts this song. Otherwise it would be decent. Caravan is much more interesting.

isnt it more of a rebellious thing against this watchmaker character?

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 17 2012, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 01:04 PM)

isnt it more of a rebellious thing against this watchmaker character?

Perhaps, we'll see.