Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

What irks me is that nobody from the lunch and listen has written a review yet. What are you guys waiting for? Jeez. You will have at least 200,000 people hanging on your every comment. Rush fans are going crazy seeking out new info it seems.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:41 PM)
What irks me is that nobody from the lunch and listen has written a review yet. What are you guys waiting for? Jeez. You will have at least 200,000 people hanging on your every comment. Rush fans are going crazy seeking out new info it seems.

It does seem a little odd - we ARE well past the 72 hours at this point, right? unsure.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 02:48 PM)
And over 7 minutes, too. Awesome.

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Speak for yourself. I like VT better than SnA.

VT had at least 6 good tracks on it:

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

Yeah, I personally love S&A much more than Vapor Trails but VT still has a lot on it I like. I also know that there are many Rush fans that think it's one of their best albums, so what's wrong with that? Nothing. All their albums and all their songs have at least some fans who genuinely like them and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "band worshippers" or all these other degrading names I see. I don't mind anybody's opinion about what they like or don't like but I always try to avoid demeaning "It's a piece of shit!" or "It totally sucks ass!" kind of comments because people take their favorite music seriously and get attached to it. I wish people understood that when you are insulting to music that someone else loves and they get defensive it's not because you are insulting the band, you're insulting them.

I used this analogy on the VH board but I think it's a good one and hopefully it will make people think. Saying to someone who loves Vapor Trails something like "It's just a piece of shit and Rush should be embarrased they even released it" and thinking that you're only insulting the band or the album is like going into someone's house and saying "Oh my god, I can't believe this crappy furniture, why would anybody want this?" and thinking you're only putting down the furniture manufacturer. What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are. That should be obvious. But I guess some people think if your friend picks you up in their car and you say "Wow, what a piece of crap, I hate these cars." that your friend shouldn't take it personally because you were only criticizing the automaker.

No reasonable person will tell you not to say you don't like something if you don't like it but you should at least learn to be able to be tactful about it.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

This is probably stupid to even post but what the hell, people are looking for anything they can get so here goes:

Someone linked this over at RIAB so I'm not the one who actually found it, I'm just passing it on.

OMG....UPDATE I Just heard a LEAK of the song from a radio buddy I called... OMG IT DOES ROCK!!!! Like Natural Science on Steriods! With the crazyness of Cygnus XI Book1 I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's at the bottom:

http://rushchronicles.com/topic/8349837/1/

This was posted today so obviously I'm wary of damn near everything being an April Fool's "joke". The only reason I'm not completely ignoring it is that really, it's not that far from the kind of thing we've been led to believe so far. So make of it what you will. As I said on RIAB I'm just not even sure that people at radio stations have the single yet (Roadrunner played it for them) nor would they want to risk their jobs letting unauthorized people hear it yet even if they do have it.

Damn I hate April Fool's Day. I don't even look at real news on this day.

By the way, when I say "someone" I don't mean Ed. This was in the comments section today. #53, I think.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 1 2012, 03:58 PM)
This is probably stupid to even post but what the hell, people are looking for anything they can get so here goes:

Someone linked this over at RIAB so I'm not the one who actually found it, I'm just passing it on.

OMG....UPDATE I Just heard a LEAK of the song from a radio buddy I called... OMG IT DOES ROCK!!!! Like Natural Science on Steriods! With the crazyness of Cygnus XI Book1 I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's at the bottom:

This was posted today so obviously I'm wary of damn near everything being an April Fool's "joke". The only reason I'm not completely ignoring it is that really, it's not that far from the kind of thing we've been led to believe so far. So make of it what you will. As I said on RIAB I'm just not even sure that people at radio stations have the single yet (Roadrunner played it for them) nor would they want to risk their jobs letting unauthorized people hear it yet even if they do have it.

By the way, when I say "someone" I don't mean Ed. This was in the comments section today. #53, I think.

Thanks snowdog. I can always count on you to find the hidden tidbits whether they or true or false. tongue.gif I'm sure the new track will be awesome but personally I thought Caravan was kind of a throwback to PW in many respects. Some people aren't giving Caravan its due respect for the return of Rush to prog like style. If the whole record features extended jams(I hope) this is going to be great. I've been saying for years and years now why doesn't Rush let it all hang out because there is no need to worry about radio airplay anymore. Maybe they finally came around again. confused13.gif

update: apparently the guy was joking. I figured that. April fools sucks biggrin.gif

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 1 2012, 05:41 PM)

It's at the bottom:

Thanks snowdog. I can always count on you to find the hidden tidbits whether they or true or false. tongue.gif I'm sure the new track will be awesome but personally I thought Caravan was kind of a throwback to PW in many respects. Some people aren't giving Caravan its due respect for the return of Rush to prog like style. If the whole record features extended jams(I hope) this is going to be great. I've been saying for years and years now why doesn't Rush let it all hang out because there is no need to worry about radio airplay anymore. Maybe they finally came around again. confused13.gif

update: apparently the guy was joking. I figured that. April fools sucks biggrin.gif

Wow, I knew it almost had to be a joke and yet I wasted all that time anyway. I'll be glad when this day is over. wacko.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 1 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 1 2012, 05:41 PM)

It's at the bottom:

Wow, I knew it almost had to be a joke and yet I wasted all that time anyway. I'll be glad when this day is over. wacko.gif

You got that right!

OMG....UPDATE I Just heard a LEAK of the song from a radio buddy I called... OMG IT DOES ROCK!!!! Like Natural Science on Steriods! With the crazyness of Cygnus XI Book1 I can't believe

What a load of Crock!

I'm surprised he didn't add: and the precision of Tom Sawyer!

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 1 2012, 08:53 PM)
So.. let me get this straight..

Its like By Tor, PW, Nat Science, 80-93 with melody and awesome and metal all rolled up into one...

Right?

WOOHOO!

And it will help you walk on water while you listen to it!

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 1 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 1 2012, 08:53 PM)
So.. let me get this straight..

Its like By Tor, PW, Nat Science, 80-93 with melody and awesome and metal all rolled up into one...

Right?

WOOHOO!

And it will help you walk on water while you listen to it!

sarcasm.gif

I heard the sound of the song can make gold of base metals.

so far on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most hype, we're at about a 100 right now. i'm still waiting for someone else to chime in and say they heard the new song and say it's a combination of anthem, lessons, side 1 of hemispheres, and double agent all rolled into one. wacko.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 1 2012, 09:12 PM)
so far on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most hype, we're at about a 100 right now. i'm still waiting for someone else to chime in and say they heard the new song and say it's a combination of anthem, lessons, side 1 of hemispheres, and double agent all rolled into one. wacko.gif

I just listened to "headlong Flight" and it sounds like Anthem, Tears, Jacobs Ladder, Losing It and Lock and key all thrown in a Blender and mixed for 80-91 minutes!!

martini_shaken.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 1 2012, 09:43 PM)
Somebody DID compare it to Anthem. Said it sounds like Anthem but at the same time sounds a bit like BU2B. Old yet new?

I heard it sounded like BU2B and By-Tor New yet old!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 1 2012, 10:27 PM)
I just heard it and it sounds like a weird cross between Baby by Justin Bieber, Xanadu (newton-John), and Mars Volta on crack.

ohmy.gif 1022.gif

But.... no ABBA influence? sad.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2012, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:47 PM)

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

VT was bad because of the Mix, THE MIX!

beathorse.gif

The compression, THE COMPRESSION!

The songs, THE SONGS!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:53 PM)

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

Yeah, I personally love S&A much more than Vapor Trails but VT still has a lot on it I like. I also know that there are many Rush fans that think it's one of their best albums, so what's wrong with that? Nothing. All their albums and all their songs have at least some fans who genuinely like them and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "band worshippers" or all these other degrading names I see. I don't mind anybody's opinion about what they like or don't like but I always try to avoid demeaning "It's a piece of shit!" or "It totally sucks ass!" kind of comments because people take their favorite music seriously and get attached to it. I wish people understood that when you are insulting to music that someone else loves and they get defensive it's not because you are insulting the band, you're insulting them.

I used this analogy on the VH board but I think it's a good one and hopefully it will make people think. Saying to someone who loves Vapor Trails something like "It's just a piece of shit and Rush should be embarrased they even released it" and thinking that you're only insulting the band or the album is like going into someone's house and saying "Oh my god, I can't believe this crappy furniture, why would anybody want this?" and thinking you're only putting down the furniture manufacturer. What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are. That should be obvious. But I guess some people think if your friend picks you up in their car and you say "Wow, what a piece of crap, I hate these cars." that your friend shouldn't take it personally because you were only criticizing the automaker.

No reasonable person will tell you not to say you don't like something if you don't like it but you should at least learn to be able to be tactful about it.

It was a 6 year break between T4E and VT...6 years! To me, the songs on VT sound like a band tired of making music rather than a band excited to be together making music after a long break. There is no focus to any of the songs and they desperately needed someone to explain to them the concept of EDITING! Every song on their is way too long and unfocused. Plus, they all sound the same and there's almost no sense of melodicism to the songs either. Compare the songs on VT to those on S&A and there is no comparison. S&A is dripping with melody and tight song arrangements; something that VT is lacking. Now, there are some great MOMENTS on VT, but no great songs. It just sounds to me like a collage of half finished ideas. And add to that, one of the worst dynamics and over the top compression and you have one nasty sonic mess. I thought S&A was light years better than VT and their best album since Counterparts. Believe me, I have tried to like VT and every year or so I revisit it to give it another chance. It never sounds good to me.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 1 2012, 09:29 PM)

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

It was a 6 year break between T4E and VT...6 years! To me, the songs on VT sound like a band tired of making music rather than a band excited to be together making music after a long break. There is no focus to any of the songs and they desperately needed someone to explain to them the concept of EDITING! Every song on their is way too long and unfocused. Plus, they all sound the same and there's almost no sense of melodicism to the songs either. Compare the songs on VT to those on S&A and there is no comparison. S&A is dripping with melody and tight song arrangements; something that VT is lacking. Now, there are some great MOMENTS on VT, but no great songs. It just sounds to me like a collage of half finished ideas. And add to that, one of the worst dynamics and over the top compression and you have one nasty sonic mess. I thought S&A was light years better than VT and their best album since Counterparts. Believe me, I have tried to like VT and every year or so I revisit it to give it another chance. It never sounds good to me.

goodpost.gif

a band sounding tired of making music on VT?

how can u say that dude i honestly dont get how anyone can say that

how can u listen to earthshine, secret touch, ghost rider and nocturne etc and think that band sounded tired?

i honestly do not get it, i do not get how even one person can say that.

wacko.gif

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 31 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 02:12 AM)
Well, being obsessed with this beyond a healthy level I went and scoured more of these Twitter feeds and found a couple more quotes from Grover Collins, the guy who said it sounded like 1974-1977.

As I already said earlier, I consider these worthless in terms of substance but it is exciting reading about it....

Here they are:

"has an anthem feel but also bu2b feel. Old yet new"

and:

"zero keys. Drums, bass, and Alex sounding like the working man solo on time machine tour."

https://twitter.com/#!/GroverCollins

He also said:

"I'm in radio. Its the new single. Will be out this week to radio."

OMG! Thanks for updating. Alex absolutely destroyed that solo on Working Man TM tour. I was hoping some of that live playing translated into the studio. Here's hoping Nick talked Alex into soloing on almost every song 1022.gif

The zero keys comments has me wondering if that report of it sounding like an 80's record is accurate. We know of three songs now that don't sound like 80's assuming this one doesn't. I think BU2B has a certain GUP vibe in some spots but I wouldn't say it sounds like an 80's Rush song.

It's 2 completely different things. The only person we've heard from who was at the listening party for the whole album is the one that said "80-91 in a blender" and "keyboards are present" and "80s album with a harder edge". This was conveyed to us through Sniglets on the CP forum.

All the other comments are from radio guys who were not at the listening party, they had someone from Roadrunner come to them and only play the single for them. All of the "sounds like bytor", "sounds like 74-77", "massive Alex Lifeson solo" and the comments I just posted above only refer to Headlong Flight specifically, not the album as a whole. So "zero keys" does not conflict with "keyboards are present" at all. They are evidently on the album but just not on the single based on what they're saying.

Like I said again the two songs we have heard and supposedly this coming single DO NOT sound like 80-91 in a blender so even if the rest does somewhat I'm not sure I would describe the record that way. Plus.....do we really trust some guy from Counterparts board that "supposedly" had an inside friend at the listening party? I'm not counting on too many prominent keys until I hear a real "official" review. IMO there has to be some pretty prominent keys on certain songs for it to sound like 80-91 in a blender.

I'll tell you thing that WILL happen when it comes out.. People on TRF will COMPLAIN that it doesn't sound like 1980-91 in a blender! Why do people get so hung up on these quotes??

"it sounds like 1980-91 in a blender" can be translated to "it sounds like old Rush"!

the quote came from a guy who just heard a brand new song, probably once and for the first time.

No.....the 80-91 blender qoute came from a journalist that supposedly heard the Whole record. He is the same one that supposedly said the record features keyboards.

That what I said... You're saying the journalist isn't a guy?? I don't get it???

My point was he/she just heard it for the first time ..

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 1 2012, 11:29 PM)

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

everybpdy hears things differently i guess because i can't stomach 99% of s & a. sounds like a nick r. the producer album more than a rush album to me. i don't even own the cd anymore. i was more than happy to get a couple of bucks for it and few others at a used cd place.