High gas prices

Lost In Xanadu

When the prices get this high I do tend to consider where I'm going each day and try to consolidate my trips.

I hate it when some idiot in government that probably has a car service and never sees a gas pump says that Americans can stand 4 or 5 dollars per gallon of gas. You try doing it asswipe.

Yeah, I try to combine trips, too.

I also have heating oil to contend with. When gas prices go up, so does heating oil. I had a delivery last week and asked for only 150 gallons in my 275-gal tank because I was down to 1/8th of a tank, and a fill up would have cost me over a grand. facepalm.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 13 2012, 09:56 AM)
When the prices get this high I do tend to consider where I'm going each day and try to consolidate my trips.

I hate it when some idiot in government that probably has a car service and never sees a gas pump says that Americans can stand 4 or 5 dollars per gallon of gas. You try doing it asswipe.

Yeah, I do too - I think - can this wait till the weekend, or can I get it somewhere on my way home from work?

I also drive more passively to increase MPGs. I've gone from an average of 22 to 24 just by not being hard off the starts. I'm naturally a pretty passive driver, but if you're in the left lane going slow, I will pass you and fast. Now I still pass, just not as fast smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 13 2012, 10:09 AM)

I also have heating oil to contend with. When gas prices go up, so does heating oil. I had a delivery last week and asked for only 150 gallons in my 275-gal tank because I was down to 1/8th of a tank, and a fill up would have cost me over a grand. facepalm.gif

Holy crap. Our house used to be oil heat, but the people that lived there before us converted it to natural gas. We still have the inlet pipes and everything, they just don't go anywhere anymore smile.gif

I feel your pain, i am no stranger to $800 oil bill's ohmy.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 13 2012, 12:08 PM)
I try to travel a little less. I don't think I change the way that I drive though.

yeah - you're not an alchemist! You can't change that lead in your foot to anything even if you tried laugh.gif

Absolutely here in South Florida without any real mass transit (unlike DC NY and Boston my former homes) you have to drive every where especially way ou in the country where i live. Long trips the small car short trips with the kids the SUV which i filled up today 65 bucks at the cheapest $3.79 reg.

I am lucky at this time with prices so high. I get to drive the company vehicle to and from work. I sold my vehicle and dropped my insurance. I use my girlfriend's second vehicle on the weekends and pay the insurance.

Oh - one other thing I try and do is work from home a little more often. Seeing I'm needed in the lab, I have to be in the office quite a bit, but when I'm just coding - I can do that at home.

I used to have heating oil and I forgot about those fill-ups. Man, that is expensive. I notice that my foot is a lot lighter on the accelerator these days.

My driving hasn't changed, but my residence has.

Had to move across the Mississippi just to be closer to work. That 60-mile round trip 6-7 days a week was killing my wallet!

i don't drive less, i just drive more conservatively. I've been known to employ just about every (safe) hypermiling technique short of driving a hybrid. For every tank of gas though, it seems that I have at least one day when I'm late or in a rush and have to get somewhere FAST, and that shoots my mileage all to hell.

Luckily, I only drive two miles each way to work, and can walk to get groceries on weekends, so it isn't too bad. Longer trips, including to my boyfriend's, I think twice about now, or try to combine. My boyfriend is driving his car a lot more than his truck now.

What I'll probably do a lot more of is rethink what I'm buying food-wise when the inevitable food price increases hit. Those are what really hit me hard.

We still went on a road trip to Niagara Falls, Canada last weekend to see Rush tribute Wavelength, and are still planning a big trip in the fall when Rush tours. I can't deny myself these things when they aren't going to happen forever.

Nope..not really.But if the price goes up anymore it will.

The problem is, it probably will.Gov. doesn't care though...

They're in on the take, unfortunately.

Supply and demand..they got the supply, we got the demand.

No other option, in this time-frame....

Some but not too much, will use the truck more , uses the cheap... stuff.

Sucks the cost to fill the bike, over 20.00!!!